Media Playback Is One Of Main Concerns.. How Good Is The Gp2x For This

spacedz

Still Fresh
Just before I buy I'd appreciate your advice..

I'm interested in playing MP3s, video and games but how does the GP2X compare to them in terms of video playback? Are there any other devices I should consider instead?

For me watching videos would probably account for 60% of my gp2x usage.

for watching movie and sound you have lot of devices for it ;)
Zodiac, PSP, Archos...

I find the quality very good and it's played anything I've thrown at it without need to reencode, but SD capacity might be a little low if you want to use it as a dedicated video device.

Then again, for the money you'll struggle to beat it as far as I'm concerned and you get all the emulation, homebrew and devkit thrown in as an added bonus.

MP3s, OGGs it can play without fail.

DivX/XviD AVI container files it can play almost without fail (very big files it fails).

And there are converters and 4 GB SD cards to convert it to the format you need/make it smaller.

Check the best deal threads, there's a $100 shipped 4 GB SD card for the USA.

For the money, I don't think the GP2X is a bad media player at all. If you can be bothered reencoding the video you can fits loads of video on it no problem.

If you can't be bothered reencoding files it can usually play them :D

I can't said that for my iPod video >_> I tried to throw some vids on it and iTunes complained that my vid weren't compatible, and I should encode them (Why not encode them for me? >_> stupid iTunes) I did encode them and most of my videos did not have any sound *sigh*

...and you can use your gp2x on the tv, or on a stereo amplifier...really a good multimedia player for me.

Yod4z posted on Apr 27 2006 at 07:33 PM said:
for watching movie and sound you have lot of devices for it ;)
Zodiac, PSP, Archos...
Zodiac, correct. Archos, correct. But PSP? Nah, I don't think so.

I myself own a Zodiac and can say that it's great for watching movies. However, I don't own a GP2X, so I have nothing to compare it to; except my GP32, that is ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
I use mine mainly for video on the train, only had one file fail one me and that was due to a bad file, nothing to do with the 2x itself.

I've started using PocketDivX to re-encode the files to a smaller size (the native screen size, so no hardware re-sizing is needed) and found I ended up with at least 8 tv episodes on the 1Gig card I have (Rest of the space was taken up with Emus, Games, MP3s and other things!)

If you're not too bothered about games, Archos media players are quite a good choice. Zodiacs are good all-round machines (but Palm OS... ugh). The GP2X is completely different to anything else, really.

IMHO the screen on the Zodiac is better for Movie playback. It was one of the first things I noticed when I replaced my Zodiac with the GP2X. GP2X is way better for games though...

Thanks guys, you've definitely sold it to me and I'll definitely be sticking around here once it arrives.

The price is excellent for all the things you can do. I haven't bought a DS because it can only play games, this is the perfect solution. Hopefully Cannon Fodder will work!

BenScar posted on Apr 27 2006 at 07:21 PM said:
I use mine mainly for video on the train, only had one file fail one me and that was due to a bad file, nothing to do with the 2x itself.

I've started using PocketDivX to re-encode the files to a smaller size (the native screen size, so no hardware re-sizing is needed) and found I ended up with at least 8 tv episodes on the 1Gig card I have (Rest of the space was taken up with Emus, Games, MP3s and other things!)
I'm aiming to use them on the train. On there 2.5 hours a day so might as well be catching up with some TV.

I've ordered a 1GB card, I'll check out PocketDivX, thanks for the recommendation. I assume it's optimal to re-encode the vids to 320×240?

spacedz posted on Apr 28 2006 at 09:57 AM said:
I'll check out PocketDivX, thanks for the recommendation. I assume it's optimal to re-encode the vids to 320×240?
I would think so, the certainly look crispy on screen for me, plus no hardware scaling needs to be done. Makes the batteries last longer I know that much :)

i pimp the gp2x as much as the next man but i cant seriously recommend it over a HD based media player for the main purpose of playing media.

20gb HD media player = same cost as gp2x + 4gb card.

No contest surely.

deepmenace posted on Apr 28 2006 at 12:02 PM said:
20gb HD media player = same cost as gp2x + 4gb card.

No contest surely.

If you look at it that way, nope, no contest at all. If you want games and all the Open Souceness you can handle, different matter. That's how I looked at it anyway.

You're right though, for PURE play back purposes, this might not be the best thing

Back