MeeGo

This is a good idea. Maybe I'll try to boot it by chrooting into a loopback file in the weekend. Any hint on that?

I've never tried MeeGo. But hey, the more options we have the better.

Man, this would be one badass (badass-er) handheld when we get alternative operating systems on it. What have we got already? Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu, and soon Android and possibly even Meego. And that's with less than half the full amount of preorders delivered! I can't wait to see what kind of options we'll have a few months after everyone has their preorder filled.

Personally, I can't wait for NAEV to be ported. :)

omg meego would be awesome :) but does it support arm?? that is the question :p

'Course it does. It was made for modern mobile electronics. Just look at the wikipedia page. The only put-off I see is that it uses RPMs for package management.... never could get used to the RPM format, strangely enough. Debian packages, sure, but RPMs I just don't like. I don't have a clue as to why.

^ I share the same unexplained dislike of RPM's. Maybe it has something to do with early experiences of dependency hell with red hat linux.

OLD Thread, I know.

I build a Meego chroot a year or so back.

Anyone want a link?

(Also build a MAEMO chroot)

@kingoddball

Can you please post a link to the maemo chroot and tell us what you changed?

Thx

Well some new finnish company called JollaMobile will be developing MeeGo further for mobile devices.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=85315

Would Pandora buyers really want a touch-based OS / UI? Or prefer to stick to the desktop style linux from Angstrom, Slackware, Kubuntu etc...

JollaMobile will be developing MeeGo further
Not exactly.

MeeGo is more or less dead. Part of its base is now (together with LiMo) transitioned to the Tizen mobile linux base.

Mer is then the 'distro' built out of this. And Sailfish OS is what JollaMobile is releasing as their version of this.

Kind of a twisted story, but anyway.

So at the moment there's not much use in putting any focus on getting meego (and def not maemo) on other devices, since it's development is more or less over.

Getting Tizen as a base (or Mer as a kind of distro) would be pretty sweet, but there would be quite some effort to build a 'functional' system out of that for the Pandora.

And yeah, it's mostly touch oriented with the UI relying heavily on Qt and html5, which is cute (get it?) on its own, but I don't think there are many useful things for us Pandorians in that regard.

Getting Tizen as a base (or Mer as a kind of distro) would be pretty sweet, but there would be quite some effort to build a 'functional' system out of that for the Pandora.

And yeah, it's mostly touch oriented with the UI relying heavily on Qt and html5, which is cute (get it?) on its own, but I don't think there are many useful things for us Pandorians in that regard.
Thanks for the clarification. It looks like Sailfish will support "some" android apps - perhaps using alien dalvik?

http://liliputing.com/2012/11/jolla-shows-off-sailfish-os-based-on-meego-coming-in-2013.html

What probably won't be supported is older desktop linux apps. So going with that would negate the mini desktop functionality provided by Angstrom, Slackware, Kubuntu etc. But maybe it is time to let go of the "legacy linux destop" on a handheld? I dunno...

Back