Meego

aaronson911

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2010/03/meego-code-coming-in-march-will-run-on-atom-boards-and-n900.ars

What do you think of MeeGO?

The MeeGo project began to take shape last month when Intel and Nokia announced plans to merge their respective Linux-based mobile computing platforms into a single open source software project. The unified software platform, which consists of technology from Maemo and Moblin, will be designed for use on a wide range of device form factors and will support both ARM and x86 architectures.

Unification is a good idea most of the time. If this takes off, we can probably profit from all the easily portable Linux software that will come from this. I'll belive it when I see it, though. Maemo has been limited to very few devices and I haven't even heard of anything actually using Moblin...

I'm quite enthusiastic about this. First of all, it's not that "nokia on intel chips", it's a range from netbooks, MID's and smartphones all on different architectures. They're pooling their workload since they approach it the same way that is real linux and not a sandbox with contributions going upstream. QT is a good choice for the interface and there'll be plenty of KDE loving because of this. while using Moblins RPM is a bit of a disappointment, there isn't any real reason to dislike it, just years of ingrained habits from using .debs. Again, both intel and nokia are active contributors and hire many coders that work on real FLOSS projects that are not forked from mainline like androids kernel.

Locally this is great news as it means that there'll be plenty of open source jobs in the near future and I'm always happy when big companies do open source properly, like they mean it. Whether I get one is a different thing...

Seriously, I fail to understand why FLOSS people aren't enthusiastic about Symbian and MeeGo. Symbian is EPL and that's a real FLOSS license and it runs on 180M or so devices. Just imagine the buzz if someone got 180M desktops on open source. MeeGo is an another good example of doing things right and not just half right like Android.

Back