Snega2Usb: Usb Reader For Snes And Genesis Carts

WizardStan said:
The latest model can write to the SRAM. Imagine hacking up a save file with some kind of secret document, writing it to the SRAM, and then nonchalantly carrying it over the border. Makes me feel like a secret agent just thinking about it ^.^
LOL, what kind of secret document are you going to fit in 8K of SRAM?

The SRAM thing is useful because I can take a savegame from my SNES and put it on my laptop, play while I am away, and when I get home put it back on the SNES.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
If paypal find out you are taking 'preorders' they will freeze your account and refund *all* your transactions. Be careful.
If you receive more than a certain amount of money in a short period of time, they will freeze your account. It doesn't matter whether it's preorders, donations, or whatever. If you go over the limit, your account gets locked.

WizardStan said:
I can think of one very good reason.
The latest model can write to the SRAM. Imagine hacking up a save file with some kind of secret document, writing it to the SRAM, and then nonchalantly carrying it over the border. Makes me feel like a secret agent just thinking about it ^.^
That reminds me of the rather excellent Cloak & Dagger (except in that, the documents were accessed by playing the game successfully). :p

On-topic, unfortunately I don't have that much cash to spare at this moment. I will have to look into it more. :)

Neko said:
craigix said:
If paypal find out you are taking 'preorders' they will freeze your account and refund *all* your transactions. Be careful.
If you receive more than a certain amount of money in a short period of time, they will freeze your account. It doesn't matter whether it's preorders, donations, or whatever. If you go over the limit, your account gets locked.

Wow, sounds like Paypal really sucks. Now it kind of makes sense why I see more and more people switching to Google Checkout.

musicalwoods said:
Neko said:
craigix said:

Wow, sounds like Paypal really sucks. Now it kind of makes sense why I see more and more people switching to Google Checkout.
Well, Google Checkout has a limit too, but it just blocks further payments, and doesn't completely lock out the account. At least, that seems to be what happened to Craigix.

Aninhumer said:
Elwing said:
maybe the snes compatibility with all caridge chip including super FX worth it?
I'd imagine the Pandora is capable of running fullspeed even with superFX emulation.

I'm not really seeing a compelling reason to use this...
Except of course the ever important "Because we can!!" :p

okay, super FX was not a good example as it is possible to emulate it... but there's something like 10 different coprocessor chip, and i don't think all can be emulated, hardware support from the real caridge seems great :)

craigix said:

Not happening. They did freeze my account to some extent (in that I cannot access the funds myself. I can still receive payments, though), but according to customer support, this will be lifted once I provide proof of the first 5 shipments. In other words, five lucky bastards out there will get some of my precious prototypes way before all others :)

this is a nice project idea - but for old skool snes/genesis fans - the better product would have been the opposite
dump your cartridges to a usb mass storage - then using an inverted pcb of yours to plugin to the snes/genesis to play the games on the real hardware of a usb massstorage

real "fans" would want this to make a backup of their collection, in case the cartridges damage, but they will always want to play it on the real hardware - NOT on pc

Harakiri23 said:
this is a nice project idea - but for old skool snes/genesis fans - the better product would have been the opposite
dump your cartridges to a usb mass storage - then using an inverted pcb of yours to plugin to the snes/genesis to play the games on the real hardware of a usb massstorage
That's existed for years now - it's known as a flash cart.

Matthias_H said:
Not happening. They did freeze my account to some extent (in that I cannot access the funds myself. I can still receive payments, though), but according to customer support, this will be lifted once I provide proof of the first 5 shipments. In other words, five lucky bastards out there will get some of my precious prototypes way before all others :)
Wait, you actually got a response from Paypal? That's it, this is clearly a scam. No one gets a response from Paypal, not no way, not no how. :p

levi said:
Harakiri23 said:

according to my research only flash carts exist were you put in one game - i was talking about a card which is connected to a usb mass storage device were you can select the game you like to play instead of flashing the card each time with a new game - also all these solutions need a paralell port instead of usb to transfer the roms

Harakiri23 said:
levi said:
Harakiri23 said:

according to my research only flash carts exist were you put in one game - i was talking about a card which is connected to a usb mass storage device were you can select the game you like to play instead of flashing the card each time with a new game - also all these solutions need a paralell port instead of usb to transfer the roms
The SWC DX2 could do that. Unfortunately it's been out of production for several years now and will be really hard to find one. It was pretty nifty, you could keep all your roms on a hard disk that connected to the SNES.

I still have mine, but unfortunately don't have a compatible hard disk to use (it is limited to FAT16 format with a max size of 2GB).

Neko said:
I still have mine, but unfortunately don't have a compatible hard disk to use (it is limited to FAT16 format with a max size of 2GB).
Wouldn't a CF/SD to IDE adapter card be capable of doing that?

Nation.A.List said:
Neko said:
Wouldn't a CF/SD to IDE adapter card be capable of doing that?
Some people have gotten that to work.

http://tototek.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1721

Ha! I didn't notice that it actually appeared on Engadget until I saw a 16% traffic increase this evening over the steady 3-4% I'd had this month.

I've still got a long way to go if the likes of Engadget (a hacky aggregation site with little to no editorial value whatsoever) can double my daily uniques volume.

Sorry, digression :)

I'm still up for doing a review... I've just got to find some bleedin' carts. I stupidly sold my Megadrive donkeys years ago. My C64 too. *sigh*

Back