Roms?

God Ginrai said:
Also, PandaSNES is a port of SquidgeSNES.
Actually, PandaSNES is a port of PocketSNES Gp2X, which is a hack of SquidgeSNES, which is a port and various hackup of OpenSnes9xGP, which is a port and hackup of Snes9X :)
(didn't see the need for the "performance" and "quality" stuff, don't know if it uses any of the other mods that Reesy put in PS, but you never know.)

Last edited by a moderator:
God Ginrai said:
Im a Cat said:
quadomatic said:
Im a Cat said:
Does anyone know which Nintendo 64 Emulator is being ported?

=(^_^)=
Nothing as of yet. If someone did port one, I would assume that it would be Mupen64.

Darn, I'm quite partial to Project64 myself, it's a very adequate emulator for someone who doesn't know too much about how that stuff works. Is PJ64 Open source?

Also, is PandaSNES a port? Or a completely new emulator?

*Asks too many questions*

=(^_^)=

I told you one was being ported right here:

God Ginrai said:
Im a Cat said:
Does anyone know which Nintendo 64 Emulator is being ported?

=(^_^)=
Yes, Daedalus; Zod's porting it.

[...]

I'm not sure about the state of source for PJ64, but it's Windows-ware in the first place (I think), so it would be a helluva lot more code than porting a Linux N64 emu.

-God Ginrai

Sorry about that, I seem to always reply later than I actually do because of dialup -_-

=(^_^)=

Im a Cat said:
Sorry about that, I seem to always reply later than I actually do because of dialup
Downloading roms on dialup must be fun.

(and you notice I didn't have to reply to the whole quote tree?)

TaG said:
Im a Cat said:
Sorry about that, I seem to always reply later than I actually do because of dialup
Downloading roms on dialup must be fun.

(and you notice I didn't have to reply to the whole quote tree?)
>_> Yes I did. And it's not as slow as it could be, I have a faster connection than some. :) I get a WHOPPING 6kbps sometimes. :O

=(^_^)=

bboyneko said:
rom.jpg
I actually own two of those. One I had since childhood, but came to a bad end recently when his leg was left in the backyard while I was mowing the lawn.
Palladium Armor my arse, I think Parker Brothers went cheap with just plain old plastic. Either that, or my mower blade is adamantium.

Squidge said:
God Ginrai said:
Actually, PandaSNES is a port of PocketSNES Gp2X, which is a hack of SquidgeSNES, which is a port and various hackup of OpenSnes9xGP, which is a port and hackup of Snes9X :)
(didn't see the need for the "performance" and "quality" stuff, don't know if it uses any of the other mods that Reesy put in PS, but you never know.)

Yes, PocketSNES is a hacked SquidgeSNES, which means it's still SquidgeSNES, just with a few edits.

Im a Cat said:
[The Quotes of Giza]

Sorry about that, I seem to always reply later than I actually do because of dialup -_-

=(^_^)=
Aw, man, that sucks. I feel for ya.

EDIT:
ingrin said:
bboyneko said:
I actually own two of those. One I had since childhood, but came to a bad end recently when his leg was left in the backyard while I was mowing the lawn.
Palladium Armor my arse, I think Mattel went cheap with just plain old plastic. Either that, or my mower blade is adamantium.

LOL

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Squidge said:
Yes, PocketSNES is a hacked SquidgeSNES, which means it's still SquidgeSNES, just with a few edits.

I think Squidge may have a slightly better idea of what is or isn't squidgeSNES than you do :lol: .

Redshift said:
God Ginrai said:
Squidge said:

I think Squidge may have a slightly better idea of what is or isn't squidgeSNES than you do :lol: .

Booyakasha

Also, it should be noted that anything that is stored on a medium that was intended to prevent copying cannot be legally copied in the USA due to the DMCA and would also be the case in Canada if a batshit insane legislation gets passed,

I think the only exception to that is if the copying is done in the aims of archiving if the original medium is decaying or at risk of doing so and no distribution is done.

In the USA, it is definitely illegal to download ROMs you didn't rip yourself as the act itself is copyright infringement.

In Canada, at this time(see batshit comment above), it's legal to download them as long as you do not facilitate its further distribution.

Redshift said:
God Ginrai said:
Squidge said:

Of course he does. But I also believe that Squidge was just trying to give credit where credit was due, and therefore was letting us know that he was using Reesy's modifications. Not that Reesy doesn't deserve credit, but I just don't see any reason to call them different things when they are about as different as one version of an emulator to another. (version meaning like version number [0.34-0.35 for instance])

-God Ginrai

Redshift said:
You are only allowed to own the image if you rip it yourself and destory the original medium that stored it in the first place. Yes, the law is as stupid as that sounds.
Where is that the law? Do you have anything to back that statement up with?

appdirect said:
I wonder what's the legal status on hacked roms.
I imagine it'd be the same if it still uses some of the copywritten code.

However, pure homebrew would be fully legit assuming you didn't pilfer any of the official devkit stuff.

ips patches are probably legit as well as, while you likely had to -use- the copywritten rom to write it, the patch itself would only contain original work. But beats me.

rokdcasbah said:
Redshift said:
You are only allowed to own the image if you rip it yourself and destory the original medium that stored it in the first place. Yes, the law is as stupid as that sounds.
Where is that the law? Do you have anything to back that statement up with?

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#117
We stand corrected. In 1998, copyright was amended to allow for archival copies, provided they (not the original) are destroyed in the event the original is no longer lawfully owned.

norm said:
WizardStan said:
http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#117
We stand corrected. In 1998, copyright was amended to allow for archival copies, provided they (not the original) are destroyed in the event the original is no longer lawfully owned.

Anyone know about the UK's laws?

As near as I can find, UK copyright law has not been updated for the digital age. Any form of copying without prior consent is illegal.
That can't be right though. That would mean that the very act of viewing a web page (since it requires making a local copy across the internet) would be illegal.
There is talk about copying websites in the sense of taking the page and creating your own from that content, but it doesn't actually address the digital aspect of it in as much detail as the US copyright has.

Squidge said:
God Ginrai said:

A fork of a fork of a fork of a fork?

Here's a fun thought about legal gray areas. Suppose I'm a third party developer and I develop a game for a specific console lets call it the "fun-o-sphere 1".

Now suppose the fun-o-sphere 2 comes out with fun-o-sphere 1 compatibility (via software emulation) but I don't want the fun-o-sphere 2 to run my game, and never gave permission for this to happen. Has the company that makes the fun-o-sphere 2 infringed on my copyright? Yes because they had to load it into ram to run it (making a copy) and I never gave them permission to use it that way. In fact it may be breaking the DMCA.

That is to say depending on contracts a ps1 emulator on a PSP (or the PS2 emulator on the PS3) maybe in just as many gray areas as the Pandora.

hey

Im a Cat said:
I'm here inquiring as to the legality of downloading roms of games which I own. If I own say, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, can I download it for an emulator? Do the same rules apply to SNES, NES, N64, and Sega Genesis? Hope I posted this in the correct area.
As far as I know it can vary from country to country and such. But basically I think it's illegal to download any roms, or use commercial tools to dump them. But, I think it's okay to dump the roms yourself, you could do this by building your own cartridge rom reader, or using an expensive eprom reader.

Hmm, I think I've read this on various websites now (probably not very reassuring, hehe) and there is also a seemingly legit website where you can rent out roms to use only with the emulators they provide. They can only rent out the rom to one person per catridge they own at a time (alike in the physical world), and for subscription you can send in your old cartridges (which I would rather keep, hehe) to go towards payment.

Anyhows I might see if I can dig up some sources if you like.

Im a Cat said:
Also, where can I purchase the cards that the Pandora will use?
I think you can get them at any electronics store or even larger general stores.

edit
You may want to checkout http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROM_image#Legal_status, but note it says "This section gives a general discussion of the legal status of ROMs as regards the various uses to which they may be put, though this should not be construed as legal advice.".

another edit
You might also want to checkout the references on the wiki page, such as GameFAQs Help : Game Piracy: ROMs and Warez.

To quote GameFAQs...

Is it legal to download a copy of a game I own?
No. Even if you own the original game, you are not entitled to download a copy of it. Copyright law clearly states that the only copy of software you are entitled to is the one you make yourself.

and another
Something else I wanted to point out is that I think the same goes for game systems that have a bios program, which should be needed by emulators that emulate such systems. But yea, I do not think it's legal to download bios dumped from a game system, but rather you must dump them from your own system. Hmm, although I think it would be okay to download a bios program if someone coded them themself, but I dunno if this would be likey and I have no clue about such things.

cyas

Back