MeeGo

Mer is then the 'distro' built out of this. And Sailfish OS is what JollaMobile is releasing as their version of this.

Getting Tizen as a base (or Mer as a kind of distro) would be pretty sweet, but there would be quite some effort to build a 'functional' system out of that for the Pandora.

And yeah, it's mostly touch oriented with the UI relying heavily on Qt and html5, which is cute (get it?) on its own, but I don't think there are many useful things for us Pandorians in that regard.
All great points. Us current pandorians are fine using a 2005 era desktop UI (we bought it, after all). But perhaps something with a more modern UI and integrated android app compatibility (as Sailfish seems to promise) would be an attractive option to new buyers?

Anything that takes us away from the "desktop" linux experience that many of us know and love might prove harmful to appealing to a core customer base, so I'm wary of it, despite being curious about the new possibilities.

As you point out, Mer+Tizen may need considerable work, especially if one goal is to support older linux apps not designed for QT.

Maemo is not (exactly) Meego. Hilden will not run on Meego, why? Closed Source!

Meego = Open Source (Based on Maemo)

Maemo = 40% Open Source.

Hilden is closed which is why Mer was using LXDE.

I can't release the Maemo. It's closed source (Nokia).

If you have an N900 - You could always have a play with it, dump 'some files' and make a chroot  :ph34r:

N900 users - Install BACKUP-MENU and dump everything to a TAR.

Create a chroot on Linux PC, mount it, extract TAR to it. Enjoy. It's very easy. Just fiddly and I was unable to get a VNC/GUI at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
N900 users - Install BACKUP-MENU and dump everything to a TAR.

Create a chroot on Linux PC, mount it, extract TAR to it. Enjoy. It's very easy. Just fiddly and I was unable to get a VNC/GUI at all.
You can extract the maemo filesystem to PC, but you cannot run any ARM software natively on an x86 cpu. If you want to run maemo software on your PC you need Scratchbox.

The pandora, on the other hand, has a compatible CPU, so it might be possible to get a few maemo SDL or X11 games running on pandora in a chroot or by LD_PRELOADING the pandora versions of the needed libraries.

This brings up another interesting possibility: running Palm Pre games on the Pandora using maemo's "PreEnv". http://maemo.org/packages/view/preenv/

Back