Meet Pandora's Mail Client!

javaJake

Jacob Godserv
Website
myhumblecorner.wordpress.com
http://www.claws-mail.org/maemo/
Ta-da!

I use it as my main Mail application, and it is awesome! Not only is it relatively super-light (69 MB, 15,000+ messages, running for 8 hours checking on 4 mail accounts every 5 minutes, 10+ filters, and 5 plugins loaded - oh, and only 10MB usage on N800, thanks Ravnos), it's also fast (loads as fast as a text editor), and comes with lots of optional functionality through plugins.

This is where I'd ask what you think, but on this forum... well... we'll leave it at that. ;)

Edit: Relatively light then. And added N800 statistics. :p

javaJake said:
http://www.claws-mail.org/maemo/
Ta-da!

I use it as my main Mail application, and it is awesome! Not only is it super-light (69 MB, 15,000+ messages, running for 8 hours checking on 4 mail accounts every 5 minutes, 10+ filters, and 5 plugins loaded), it's also fast (loads as fast as a text editor), and comes with lots of optional functionality through plugins.
69mb is only super-light when you're running a machine with 1gb of more ram. Sure the pandora has 128mb ram so it'll run fine by itself. But if you want to run a web browser at the same time you're screwed. The Pandora won't necessarily have the storage space for a pagefile to swap programs. :blink:

Pretty much every program these days is bloated though.

Last edited by a moderator:
nice, i would vote for this.
ive used sylpheed claws, a windows port for a couple years now. i love it - fast, secure (no built in html or scripts :) ), and lots of features.
even my mom likes it... tho she still forgets the name of it.

lol, 69 MB, kids these days. I used to run Netscape Communicator with a fixed limit (on Mac OS 8) to 19 MB, and it did far more than just mail client. And it was pretty good at that! (Thunderbird brought little to what it had by then)

I agree. Gmail and its like are ideal for pocket based computers. Web based email just plain kicks ass anyway.

Let's fill our storage space with important stuff afterall. Like... games & movies. :p LOL!

Prophet said:
I agree. Gmail and its like are ideal for pocket based computers. Web based email just plain kicks ass anyway.

Let's fill our storage space with important stuff afterall. Like... games & movies. :p LOL!
I dunno, I could see the use of a fast and lite POP3 mail client. my school's web interface is the horse's arse, and probably hasn't been updated since windows98 was released.

There is a PIM/calander software thread here:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=40672

maybe someone could develop a mail client alongside that software.

I dunno, I've been using claws for a while for work and well...it's irritating. Yeah, compared to thunderbird it uses waaay less resources and it actually redraws when run over an ssh connection in acceptable time, but it's annoying.

Some stuff I think sucks (requires way too many actions)

- Maintaining & using contact information
- Buggy and cumbersome "bolt on" PGP encryption handling.

And I can't see it being that great for a handheld device. Well honestly this email paradigm (3 panels) basically sucks for efficient screen usage. What else is out there?

I can agree with the PGP bit, but the contact information I could care less about. I just need it to auto-fill the addresses out, not manage every little detail about them. It's an e-mail client, not a PIM suite. :)

And about the 69 MB, I thought that'd be small relative to other applications that contain as many features. Maybe I'm wrong.

javaJake said:
I can agree with the PGP bit, but the contact information I could care less about. I just need it to auto-fill the addresses out, not manage every little detail about them. It's an e-mail client, not a PIM suite. :)

And about the 69 MB, I thought that'd be small relative to other applications that contain as many features. Maybe I'm wrong.
Heh I have about 10 emails I constantly use. I generally send to one of them and CC 3 or 4 others at the same time. Just part of work. So for me "contact information" means saving/using addresses efficiently. I certainly have never seen claws-mail ever do email address auto completion. Perhaps it's another setting somewhere (taht should be on by default)

craigix said:
Gmail can log in to your pop3 email and serve it up as webmail, I really like that feature.
+1 for web based applications. This goes for IM / chat applications too.

Of course this assumes we'll have a good browser with solid Java and/or Flash support. There are a lot of great web apps out there, but they do us no good if the browser can't run them.

Chip said:
craigix said:
Gmail can log in to your pop3 email and serve it up as webmail, I really like that feature.
+1 for web based applications. This goes for IM / chat applications too.

Of course this assumes we'll have a good browser with solid Java and/or Flash support. There are a lot of great web apps out there, but they do us no good if the browser can't run them.

Definitely agree that solid Flash is a must. Java, not so much, although having it is still a plus. (there are a lot of web apps that don't use Java that are a lot better)

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Definitely agree that solid Flash is a must. Java, not so much, although having it is still a plus. (there are a lot of web apps that don't use Java that are a lot better)
While there are some very good sites that use Flash, Java is still widely used for highly interactive web apps. The point I'm trying to make is that if we have a browser that can handle both types, then we will have a lot less to worry about in the way of mail and messaging apps.

Chip said:
God Ginrai said:
While there are some very good sites that use Flash, Java is still widely used for highly interactive web apps. The point I'm trying to make is that if we have a browser that can handle both types, then we will have a lot less to worry about in the way of mail and messaging apps.

Just out of curiousity, could you point out where Java is used?

The only example I know of that is really popular is jIRC.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Just out of curiousity, could you point out where Java is used?

The only example I know of that is really popular is jIRC.
Besides the fact I use it all the time, not really too many places.

bnolsen said:
I certainly have never seen claws-mail ever do email address auto completion. Perhaps it's another setting somewhere (taht should be on by default)
Try the TAB key.

Ravnos said:
I just checked and Claws is only using 10MB on my N800. 69MB is probably for the PC.
Ah, great! :)

javaJake said:
Not only is it relatively super-light (69 MB, 15,000+ messages, running for 8 hours...............
I'm running thunderbird here at work which I use quite heavily. Only using 45mb.

Back