Mega 65- Enhanced Commodore 65, fpga etc.

Seems like everyone these days is making a phone.

I tried to check the schematics to see where the microphone is wired in on the Pyra, and I can find it on the headset page of the 4G mainboard pdf labelled as going to tag MIC(pol)/21.3B (where (pol) is either '+' or '-'), but as yet I've been unable to find that tag anywhere else; I checked the CPU schematic to the best of my ability as well.

Howdy folks,

I'm the lead engineer on the MEGA65 project. It has been interesting to see the cross-interest between the pyra devices and what we are crerating, although this is in many ways unsurprising because of the many commonalities between what we are each trying to create. Anyway, if anyone has any questions, I'm happy to answer them. Also, I'll be in Germany from the 24th Feb to 1st March if anyone would like to catch up while I am nearer by than my usual spot in Australia.

Paul.
[doublepost=1550300534,1550299311][/doublepost]
Interesting... No whatsapp though ;)

There are some third party WhatsApp API providers who are officially approved. At least one supports a simple restful HTTP API, that should be possible to implement on the MEGA65. I haven't checked if it still provides end-to-end encryption or not. Probably not is my guess.

Paul.

Howdy folks,

I'm the lead engineer on the MEGA65 project. It has been interesting to see the cross-interest between the pyra devices and what we are crerating, although this is in many ways unsurprising because of the many commonalities between what we are each trying to create. Anyway, if anyone has any questions, I'm happy to answer them. Also, I'll be in Germany from the 24th Feb to 1st March if anyone would like to catch up while I am nearer by than my usual spot in Australia.

Paul.
[doublepost=1550300534,1550299311][/doublepost]

There are some third party WhatsApp API providers who are officially approved. At least one supports a simple restful HTTP API, that should be possible to implement on the MEGA65. I haven't checked if it still provides end-to-end encryption or not. Probably not is my guess.

Paul.

Good to have you here on this forum, I donated some money towards your Mega65 project about 1,5 / 2 years ago, I think it's awesome and can't wait to see it come to life! (Though I got me an Ultimate 64 already)
The phone is very interesting too and I hope you will get that project off the ground for mass production. I might even get me one *Grin*

Big ups to you!

Yes, the phone we hope to advance fairly quickly now, as we have an initial PCB layout going of for manufacture. This won't be the final version, but it should be adequately functional for further development. It should be the most fun phone around, even if it will be a bit big ;)

Paul.

Reactions: ___
I think the majority of the people on this forum will carry a Pyra around which isn't exactly small either. My guess is big = no problem and maybe, seen the features of both devices, big = better!

If/when it does hit the market, I'd look into supplying it with a nice holster or belt clip. :D

Reactions: rSl
I think the majority of the people on this forum will carry a Pyra around which isn't exactly small either. My guess is big = no problem and maybe, seen the features of both devices, big = better!

If/when it does hit the market, I'd look into supplying it with a nice holster or belt clip. :D

Yes, I agree. And also have been already thinking about a nice hipster-embarrassing leather holster (possibly with optional avacado holders to keep the hipsters happy) for it :)

Paul.

Question, is this the form factor you're aiming for?

grid-portfolio5.jpg

Think this is probably more the phone one, but i could be wrong.

grid-portfolio6.jpg

Still a MEGA65 CPU board for the Pyra would make a neat choice.

Though i don't think the desktop should be overlooked.

Edit; considering the other picture shows a phone dialer, i probably am wrong :)

We will of course still be making the desktop computer. the first of the two images is closer to how it will look. We have yet to design the housing for it. If there are any folks skilled in that area, and would like to help, we'd welcome it.

Paul.

Cool. I must admit, i haven't checked for a while, i did see their efforts to make an open source c64/mega65 kernel

It's a bit odd they are still going down the 3.5" floppy route. I don't even think you can buy blank floppies any more.
I think that poll they did also showed more interest in the "desktop" model (basically without the floppy drive)

Tis a bit odd. I mean it's not like any of us have old Commodore era on 3.5" discs; most of us who went the disc route had 5.25" drives and discs. So long as you can plug a USB drive into this, I can't see many people using it at all.

I mean it's right to have it if this is a kind of second coming of the C65 with some added 2019 tech, because it was there in the 1990 prototypes, I just can't see a use for it in this day and age.

It's just a novelty thing imo.
I would just put one disk in it with code snippets or gfx or something... If I'd get me a mega... Already have a U64....
The phone seems more fun but still too bulky

Back