Mega 65- Enhanced Commodore 65, fpga etc.

Without wanting to hijack this project thread - obviously it's a very different thing to the 65 - I can recommend the ULX3S for anyone looking for an easy and relatively cheap introduction to FPGAs particularly with stable open source toolchain support and several retro computers ported already.

• Love
Reactions: rSl
Let's face it, nobody uses floppies, and I'd be surprised if anyone still actually made them.

You might be surprised:

I can recommend the ULX3S for anyone looking for an easy and relatively cheap introduction to FPGAs particularly with stable open source toolchain
To me, the appeal to the mega65 is a fully cased computer with keyboard.

That said, part of me thinks "but if the keyboard breaks, what do you do with the machine? Where a board with a nice case and some usb ports would probably be better from a sustainability prospect.

Also, it's got retro joystick ports, and half my joysticks are a bit broken, so i do wonder if it's worth it...

Thanks for linking the board though, i also like the myStorm board (which uses lattice chips too)

Without wanting to hijack this project thread - obviously it's a very different thing to the 65 - I can recommend the ULX3S for anyone looking for an easy and relatively cheap introduction to FPGAs particularly with stable open source toolchain support and several retro computers ported already.
Do you know what the LUTs do in this context? I assume they're a kind of lookup table, perhaps involved in the actual programming of the FPGA, but I can't find how many entries there are in each of these LUTs, or indeed how many gates there are in that FPGA (which I guess I could have looked up before posting this). Presumably it's important because it's worth $40 on crowdsupply, but it doesn't seem to say why, and I don't know enough about FPGAs to guess.

A LUT is the basic combinational logic element in an FPGA. In the case of the ECP5, each LUT has 4 inputs and one output, and can therefore implement any 4-input logic function, and combined for more complex logic.

An FPGA with 3x the LUTs can therefore be considered to be able to implement 3x the logic, particularly as in general other components (flipflops, block RAM, etc) also scale in number proportionally to LUTs within the same FPGA family.

However, the smallest ECP5 will already go quite a long way, pretty much the only retro core that needs the 85k ECP5 is the SNES - but that is more because of constraints on internal RAM than logic.

Ah that does make sense now you say it. The LUTs are thus named because each LUT inside the FPGA implements a look-up table defining the digital inputs and outputs. They're not quite potential gates, because as you say they have four inputs, so you could theoretically implement up to three two-input logic gates chained togther in there with free not gates. So these boards have different FPGAs on them then.

heh. beat me too it :)

Edit: It surprises me that they need to move to C64 mode to run a MOD player... something I would expect you utilise "M65" functionality.
Also, with the lack of native C65 software, it still feels a bit odd that this is the primary focus, rather than an extended C64

Last edited:
I at first assumed those things over the air inlet were heatpipes connected to fans, which would have been a shame for an 8-bit recreations, but not entirely unexpected when it comes to FPGAs. So it was a positive surprise that they were in fact speakers. and while the stereo separation won't be great, it's still better than whiny fans.

Unboxing stream of a devkit here, now
Code:
https://www.twitch.tv/shallan50k

• Love
In case anybody missed the stream:
Code:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/815657347

Shallan is live again with some MEGA65 dev
Code:
https://www.twitch.tv/shallan50k

I'm put off by the price having too many 6 in it. They could have gone for 6502 euro... but nooooo...

Back