Mekotronics R58X Rockchip RK3588 running Debian

I did a quick search and it seemed like it was presented today.
Any info on blobless performance ? I guess wifi and bluetooth won't work, but if most the rest would eventually work under linux-libre and blobless ATF and u-boot it'd be great. Is there a device tree somewhere ? (I haven't looked mainline). or schematics ?
I found some 250 $ price, but no idea how much RAM that was for (4GB?) or what about customs.

I did a quick search and it seemed like it was presented today.
Any info on blobless performance ? I guess wifi and bluetooth won't work, but if most the rest would eventually work under linux-libre and blobless ATF and u-boot it'd be great. Is there a device tree somewhere ? (I haven't looked mainline). or schematics ?
I found some 250 $ price, but no idea how much RAM that was for (4GB?) or what about customs.
I haven't installed Debian yet. You need to connect to a computer to install the Debian image.
$250 is for the base model with 4GB memory and 32GB storage.
Add $40 for shipping and I paid €32 taxes (including tax payment service fee from UPS) in NL.
But I guess the taxes were not based on the sales value, but perhaps on the insured value.
Post automatically merged:

WebGL Aquarium performance with Android TV 12: 5000 fishes around 40fps.
AetherSX2 (Android PS2 emulation) with OpenGL renderer and 2x upscaler: Quick test with Final Fantasy X 60fps.

This video review states that the Vulkan driver is much more performant than OpenGL, but that the Vulkan driver is not available on Linux (only Android). I did a quick google to see if there is news of a Linux driver being worked on, but didn't see anything relevant.

When I read about all these interesting SoCs I usualy want to know two things: Would they be suitable for future Pyra upgrades? AND do they have full hardware support under Linux for task X (mainly Video decoding, 3D acceleration, power savings - just all the standard stuff )?

This video review states that the Vulkan driver is much more performant than OpenGL, but that the Vulkan driver is not available on Linux (only Android). I did a quick google to see if there is news of a Linux driver being worked on, but didn't see anything relevant.

I guess there can be a lot of factors at play here.
He has a board from Firefly and it is actively cooled. So that probably means he can run at higher clock speeds, as my board from Mekotronics is passively cooled.
I don't know if we are using the same driver versions.
And perhaps some instructions are faster with OpenGL and others can be faster with Vulkan.
I tested something early in FFX and OpenGL is just a bit smoother with that Demi attack.
But who knows there are other scenarios in this game where Vulkan is faster and things can be different with other games.

When I read about all these interesting SoCs I usualy want to know two things: Would they be suitable for future Pyra upgrades? AND do they have full hardware support under Linux for task X (mainly Video decoding, 3D acceleration, power savings - just all the standard stuff )?
I tested the Debian 11 image that Mekotronics supplied to me.
Video decoding is a mess (I was expecting that) and 3D acceleration is buggy.
But this is with Mesa 20.x and I think I read that they are working on supporting the RK3588 GPU.

Even with just software decoding I think 1080p YouTube should be possible.
And once Mesa has proper support for the RK3588 GPU, gaming should be no problem.

Seeing how the RK3399 is used in the Anbernic RG552, I have good hope that the RK3588 will show up in similar devices.

Literally translated word for word it seems to translate to packaging unit. I might assume it is designed to go on a reel, although a 700 unit reel is on the small side. I would assume this being a B2B purchase VAT will not be included.

Also there was the difference between the Rockchip in the Link, and the product in this topic :
About 22€ is only the SOC, but the other one is a whole One Board Computer whit all the connectors and other expensive stuff ..

Well, not having a Big-Little architecture simplifies things. The 3568 is 64-bit, which is nice.

Not relevant for the Pyra, but it also supports dual Gigabit Ethernet as well as ECC memory, which might make it interesting for a router/firewall, if it has sufficient processing power to support Gigabit in/out plus firewall rule/SQM processing.
https://www.cnx-software.com/2020/1...nd-rk3568-datasheets-and-features-comparison/
https://www.cnx-software.com/2020/1...nd-rk3568-datasheets-and-features-comparison/
http://www.armdesigner.com/download/Rockchip_RK3568_Datasheet.pdf
http://www.armdesigner.com/download/Rockchip_RK3568_Datasheet.pdf

Yes, you perhaps would need active cooling in the Pyra to be able to run any big (as in ARM's big-little mantra) for any appreciable time. It's worth bearing in mind that he Cortex-A15 chip in the Pyra was specced as a big (as in big-little chip with the A7 marketed as the smaller corollary, but that was ARM's first dip in the market for high power chips, all their designs before that could run at stock speeds without even any heatsink, and you only need a simple aluminium static heatsink if you overclocked them.

This suggests it'll come with USB3.0 host and USB3 OTG, as well as three SATA 3.0 links (would be nice if it could alto switch depending on the presence of the SATA ataptor or not, but I don't think the existing one advertises that kind of information in a way the electronics can use). There's no stats on perf per watt, and whether it still supports 32-bit mode or not

If you want to buy a Rockchip 3568-based system now to experiment, this seems to be available:

Firefly Station P2

Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page for the 'specifications'.

I'm very tempted.

The 3588 is too big and too hot. It's not meant for small handheld devices.
Sure (but nothing is too hot for us)

I'll have too look up the A55 core performance and see how well those play.
Will they play Gamecube/Wii? Has anyone tested that already?
That's What I'd like to see.

If you want to buy a Rockchip 3568-based system now to experiment, this seems to be available:

Firefly Station P2

Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page for the 'specifications'.

I'm very tempted.
There seem to be cheaper alternatives, (Raxda Rock 3 Model A 8GB, 100,41€) albeit more barebone... Not sure. Linuxgizmos keeps a list of SBCs and I've only found these two with rk3568.

Thank you for pointing out the Linuxgizmos list.

The benefit of the Firefly Station P2 is that is has 2 GigE interfaces, which makes it (potentially) ideal as a firewall/router. The Raxda Rock 3 Model A 8GB has a single GigE. You can do a 'router on a stick' with VLANS and a VLAN aware switch, but I prefer the two port approach.

Back