Merry Christmas -- Warcraft 2 Dos On Pandora!

For example, how on earth are people running Quake 3 on Pandora, let alone GP2X or iPod Touch, if Pandora's 600 MHz CPU is not sufficient for running games which require less than Pentium 133 MHz class CPU and Q3 needs at lest 350 MHz AMD K6-2(barely slower than Intel counterparts, Pentium 2 and Celeron with Mendocino core)? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Answer: It runs natively. If Q3 was emulated, I am sure it would not run at playable frame rates at all.

Pardon me if Im wrong, but Quake 3 can be ran using Linux, meaning that nothing needs to be emulated :) Also, the graphics chip will come in handy indeed when its up and running :lol:

Adventus said:
Nice, well that kind of renders Wargus useless.
Seeing how well Wargus runs on the GP2X, one would hope it would take a similar clock speed to run it on the Pandora :)

I only found out about WarCraft after I got into StarCraft, so guess which one stuck to me ;) Nice news Skeezix, looks like a lot of awesome games will be within reach.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did I miss something? Where was it stated that they begin shipping today? We haven't even seen a picture of a fully assembled Pandora, right?

Gautama said:
Did I miss something? Where was it stated that they begin shipping today? We haven't even seen a picture of a fully assembled Pandora, right?
I think that you are a bit lost. Did you even read the topic?

Calmatory said:
I think the main concern here is not necessarily the CPU speed, rather optimizing DosBox for Pandora. If the games were written for Pandora, I am sure that they would run flawlessly. However, now all the (Dos/Windows) software which is being ran has to be emulated in order to run properly(or at all). This then requires some computational power which is directly off from the CPU and thus the performance is low.

For example, how on earth are people running Quake 3 on Pandora, let alone GP2X or iPod Touch, if Pandora's 600 MHz CPU is not sufficient for running games which require less than Pentium 133 MHz class CPU and Q3 needs at lest 350 MHz AMD K6-2(barely slower than Intel counterparts, Pentium 2 and Celeron with Mendocino core)? :) Answer: It runs natively. If Q3 was emulated, I am sure it would not run at playable frame rates at all.

My point: We will see more games with better frame rates after the software is being optimized a bit more and after people start to tweak their Pandoras. Are we going to get Fallout 1 & 2, C&C or C&C RA at playable frame rates? I am sure we are. :) (Thpugh, DOS versions only)
Thank you captain obvious.

Where the hell did this post come from? XD Everyone here knows what emulation is.

Brockway said:
Wait, if this will run, does that mean the Fallouts and other same era rpg's might be possible too?! Thought the most recent we'd see were 386 era games. Awesome news!
Just for the hell of it I moved over my Fallout 1 install to an SD and gave it a blast with DOSBox, about 6-7 mins to load and lets just say, you will die of boredom before the Master and the Super Mutants get you ;).

I am not using the Pandora DOSBox that Pickle is working on, just a quick compile I did. Maybe I will retry with that at some point. As an aside, it's a lot quicker then on the PSP, just still totally dire and unplayable :D.

Oh well, back to working on the images but it was a fun distraction (well actually back to sorting out Christmas rubbish but I have to give the impression of doing something ;)).

Forthewin. said:
For example, how on earth are people running Quake 3 on Pandora, let alone GP2X or iPod Touch, if Pandora's 600 MHz CPU is not sufficient for running games which require less than Pentium 133 MHz class CPU and Q3 needs at lest 350 MHz AMD K6-2(barely slower than Intel counterparts, Pentium 2 and Celeron with Mendocino core)? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Answer: It runs natively. If Q3 was emulated, I am sure it would not run at playable frame rates at all.
Pardon me if Im wrong, but Quake 3 can be ran using Linux, meaning that nothing needs to be emulated :) Also, the graphics chip will come in handy indeed when its up and running :lol:

Exactly my point. ;) It runs natively, it is fine. If it has to be emulated, it might suffer from major performance losses.

A_Llama said:
Thank you captain obvious.

Where the hell did this post come from? XD Everyone here knows what emulation is.
Are you sure everyone knows? Frankly, for me your post looks like "I know this, thus everyone else here does aswell!".

I just got IM from a friend of mine who was concerned about games which would run. He got assumption that Pandora is less powerful than random P90 because there was talk about poor performance. Thus he pointed me here and I wanted to clear it up a bit. Shouldn't be a big deal. ;)

One thing: at least 1/3 of the topic views come from people who are not registered here, might be hard to tell how experienced they are with this kind of stuff.

Calmatory said:
I just got IM from a friend of mine who was concerned about games which would run. He got assumption that Pandora is less powerful than random P90 because there was talk about poor performance. Thus he pointed me here and I wanted to clear it up a bit. Shouldn't be a big deal. ;)
Then tell your friend over IM? Your post was just completely random and pointless in the context of this thread.

As one of the main focuses of this community is emulation, I think it's safe to assume that most people here have some kind of knowledge about it.

A_Llama said:
Calmatory said:
Then tell your friend over IM? Your post was just completely random and pointless in the context of this thread.

As one of the main focuses of this community is emulation, I think it's safe to assume that most people here have some kind of knowledge about it.

Did I just step on your feet or why are you acting like I did something wrong? Maybe next time do it your way; shut up thinking that "they must know already, must remain quiet..". Though, I really wonder if that is ideal way to deal with things but whatever. :rolleyes:

See how you first said that everyone knows it, later you are talking "safe to assume that most" "some kind of knowledge". There is a difference, and I am sure you know it aswell.

This case is closed for me, continue with PM if you wish.

Exactly my point. wink.gif It runs natively, it is fine. If it has to be emulated, it might suffer from major performance losses.

Oh sorry I just rushed through the reading of your post haha :D
Reading through your post again (and reading through it properly might I say :lol:), I understand what you were saying now, and I have nothing to add at all haha :)

A_Llama said:
It was a perfectly valid and relevant post. Lighten up.

skeezix said:
I wonder if dosbox does netplay .. I play orcs!
You do know that besides the sprites and names of the units there was no difference whatsoever besides the axe throwers having +1 strength and the archers having +1 range right? :p (From what I remember)

Basically orcs or humans... same thing hehe.

I think Starcraft is too advanced to be playable right now on Pandora DosBox, but AFAIK Adventus is going to look into porting the Stratagus engine :)

Username said:
I meant with full optimizations. Stratagus seemed decent though.
The question's been asked many times before, and I think the "well-informed" answer is that it can't be done, independent of optimizations.

EDIT: That aside, it's a Windows game, not a DOS game. That makes it so we can't use DosBox. Probably puts it entirely out of the question then.

Back