Micro Wifi Dongle

This is the one I use, it worked perfectly right out of the box.

http://www.netgear.c...g/WNA1000M.aspx
When did you buy it?

Might they have changed the internal gubbins (and broken Pandora-compatability) since then?

It would be cool if ED could stock (Pandora compatible) wifi dongles in his shop ^_^
It was either BestBuy or WalMart, can't remember. But I bought it about a month ago.
Thanks, will probably buy one.

Does ifconfig reports packet loss ?

What's the name of the device (pure curiosity) ?

It's this: http://www.sandberg....WiFi-USB-Dongle

I don't believe there was any packet loss, just agonising slowness. I'm no expert with these things, though, so it could have been a misconfiguration on my part in the compiling or subsequent steps.

I'll have to see if I can get my hands on some micro WiFi dongles for testing with HF7.

For UK buyers, this looks promising: http://www.solwise.c...wl-umd-606n.htm

I'll try and get one!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just installed a Belkin Micro Dongle and the difference is night and day.

Works straight out of the box.

Synced at 54 Mb/s and getting very good transfers.

I've requested adaptors from Solwise, Belkin, Edimax and Sandberg and TrendNET

No idea who's likely to send them over, but I'll test the ones I get (if any) and, after I've given 'em a review, pass any non-working ones on to anyone who wants to try and get drivers working.

I tried some sustained downloads and I'm getting 800k transfer speeds, this is much more consistent than the in built wifi.

Some Ralink modules are included in the latest hotfix.

All you need is the firmware.

Dear sir. I stand corrected.

The rt2x00usb module does, indeed, work with my wireless device. It also detects and works in Network Manager as it should do.

Unfortunately performance is still pretty naff, but it's a damned sight more stable than mine.

I tried this on SuperZaxxon, experimental kernel. Having a clean slate that I hadn't tweaked around with to an inch of its life certainly helped get things up and running... my other setup was pretty bogged down with cruft.

edit: actually it only seems to work with the experimental kernel. rt2800usb fires up after I do modprobe ehci-hcd

Now I have rock solid internet which browser should I use for streaming video? Youtube / iPlayer mainly.

pandora still cant play 360p youtube, its not a internet speed problem, as much as it is a flash for arm problem

Thats a pity, hopefully the work on the DSP will help us out.

Still nice to have a full speed connection though for downloading things from the repo direct to the Pandora.

again, its nothing to do with cpu or dsp either, its simply arm flash being unsupported by adobe. but with dsp enabled, we should be able to download youtube videos using any of the provided software, and watch them using panplayer or smplayer2

Here's the Advance one.

With the little hole, it's possible to attach it to the OP.

dsc04359.jpg

dsc04357.jpg

I just got the Edimax EW-7811Un works perfectly fine, a lot faster and more reliable than internal and only sticks out ~6.5mm, only NZ$27

Got the smaller Sandberg one now, but having trouble actually getting it to connect to a network... which is particularly weird! dmesg isn't helpful at all.

Hi there folks,

I was sent a micro/nano usb wifi dongle from Craig as the wifi in my unit was completely useless. However, I'm still getting really-slow speeds and lots of lost packets. To copy a ~200Meg file takes well over half an hour (the same file on my netbook, a minute or 2 max)

It uses the RTL8192CU rtl8192cu chip.

To further test it I compiled the driver for my desktop machine (ubuntu). It has the same problems, so this suggests the driver and/or driver/router-configuration is to blame.

Can anybody provide any answers to this problem?

Has anybody else tried a similar stick based on the same chip _and_ had better results?

I have a Belkin Micro using the (rtl)8192cu driver and copying a 300MB file from my laptop to my pandora over scp takes about a minute with a bit over 3MB/s

I have a Belkin Micro using the (rtl)8192cu driver and copying a 300MB file from my laptop to my pandora over scp takes about a minute with a bit over 3MB/s

Thanks for that.

I suppose logic would suggest that the problem lies with my router setup?

I suppose the simplest solution is try another router. I shall try and then put the results here.

Edit: (For My Information)

With Wifi USB stick:

Tried at work, got 800mb/s downloading Debain ISO image (bloody quick). Now I need to try _that_ at home.

With Internal Wifi: same problems that I had at home (= internal wifi definately screwed)

Back