Microsoft XBOX ONE

Looks like a E3 demo/announcement is not happening.

I can almost guarantee that they were working on something the month after their last respective consoles were released, because that's how R&D works
What's there to Research & Develop? Microsoft doesn't develop the hardware that goes into the DirectXbox. The APIs and NT kernel are developed as part of the mainline Windows project, and they just don't seem to put a lot into user studies or thermal/case design at this point.

They do advertize it as a "feature" that the design doesn't change, ignoring taking advantage of die shrinks, some vendor related stuff, and modified case designs as a result, for what in computer terms is a very long time. So it's not like there's any serious pressure to stay cutting edge instead of driving down costs and increasing profitability of a cash cow property.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, the question is...Will M$ make an OFFICIAL announcement detailing (release date/year) the successor to XBOX 360 next month?
Answer: yes. If for no other reason than to keep people from talking about the Wii's successor.

That's the point I was getting at. They can and probably will announce a successor the the 360 because they are working on something, but that is not surprising because they should always be working on something. Whether the successor they announce will be the one that actually comes to market, and the time frame they give themselves to finish it will be the interesting things.
You should know by now that M$ always have things in the works, but they're just out there to ruin peoples parties with hype! As for the link Jebe supplied up there ^ That's also pure speculation.

This is a very interesting game from Nintendo if the rumours are true. If they release a console that is more powerful than the 360 and the PS3, and they do it 3 years before the competition are considering making any moves then they could clean up, but on the other hand; when MS and Sony do decide to bring out new hardware then the Wii 2 will be three years behind.

As for the link Jebe supplied up there ^ That's also pure speculation.
Not the part about EA's statement, which is all I referenced.

This is a very interesting game from Nintendo if the rumours are true. If they release a console that is more powerful than the 360 and the PS3, and they do it 3 years before the competition are considering making any moves then they could clean up, but on the other hand; when MS and Sony do decide to bring out new hardware then the Wii 2 will be three years behind.
Keep in mind if they keep using the SEGA strategy it'll take about 2-3 years for Microsoft/Sony to not be losing money at which point Nintendo would be releasing a Wii 3.

Not that raw power counts for _that_ much, and Qualcomm is already making the point with the Adreno 3xx @28nm their smart phone and tablet parts are in the range of the Xbox 360 and PS3. And EA, Id, and Activision are all taking ARM solutions quite seriously for multiplatform purposes.

If Nintendo does go with a 4850-4870 equivalent, at 28nm instead of it's production 55nm, by current Console standards it can max out CryEngine 2 at 1080p while consuming around 42-62W under load. If they go 4770 it should be able to handle High, by the same standards using less then 40W under load. At 4670 level they're still beating the current consoles significantly with around 16W under load and can handle a solid Medium, by the same standards. I see no real point in them going below that as a result or ignoring 28nm if their target release date is mid 2012.

As a result meaningfully more power will in turn demand engines that are more legitimately demanding. 2560x1600 goes from around 30-45" for the equivalent of 1920x1080 at 15.2-23" which can be properly termed high computer density range, with 60" being the equivalent of a 30" 1080p TV. So there's not really much in the way of room for one to emphasize resolution even if the TV manufacturers and otherwise did bump it up, if the cost of such things don't come down dramatically. Multi-monitor doesn't seem like it'd scale well to TVs due to practical issues. The 3D trick is nice, but seems like it'd be a weak selling point given that technology messes with a lot of people.

Incidentally if Microsoft/Sony do wait to 2015, when the 14nm node is at least scheduled to hit, a 6990 equivalent which maxes out CryEngine 2 at 2560x1600 by PC standards, would be classed something along the lines of a 10670. In turn we'd be looking at something along the lines of 13k Stream processors per high end GPU die. This rather emphasizes just how much they've dragged and are dragging their feet, which may end with them simply being cut out of the loop, as various developers have already begun venting displeasure at the XBox 360 and PS3's stagnation and they will shortly be the weakest link.

Regardless if it's going to be the most ownage console ever build, I'm not going to buy it, EVER. Had enough problems with all my 360's already, and also banned the platform for buying new games on.

I see an official SONY PS4 announcement (some specs, tentative release date and possible games, etc.) sometime before the end of next year (2012), before the world ends.

Report: The Next Xbox Can Render Avatar Graphics

No, it won't be wall-to-wall digital blue people. Well, I hope it won't, because, man, I did not like Avatar.

However, AMD, the tech company responsible for Xbox 360 graphics tech, said the next Xbox will be able to render graphical detail on par with James Cameron's sci-fi opus.

AMD won't confirm it's working on the new Xbox, but, according to the Official Xbox Magazine, AMD said the new Xbox will launch with that level of graphics.

What's more, AMD's Neal Robison added that the upcoming A.I. will enable every pedestrian in, say, Grand Theft Auto have their own personality and react to situations differently.

This sounds like AMD talking up whatever they're working on. Fingers crossed it actually pans out, because words like these can come back to haunt you.

http://www.examiner.com/game-news-in-national/amd-xbox-720-graphics-will-look-like-avatar

xbox720_logo1_1.png

Next Xbox console to be six times more powerful, headed for fall 2013 release?

Xbox 720, Xbox Loop -- whatever Microsoft ends up calling it, that hot rod of a console looks to be on deck for a late fall 2013 release. According to IGN's sources, this successor to the Redmond gaming throne is purported to pack a GPU based on AMD's 6000 series of chips and will boast silicon circuitry that catapults its performance past Nintendo's upcoming Wii U by 20 percent. If you're looking for a more apples to green X's comparison, this next-gen console's graphical capabilities are also reportedly six times greater than its 360 progenitor. While MS is likely holding back its monstrous new platform for a big E3 reveal, it appears the company's still whittling down its spec list, with dev kits to be issued later this August. No mention was made of its rumored Kinect 2 integration, but we're more than certain that famous hacking tech will be front and center.

http://www.engadget....eaded-for-fall/

xbox1128.jpg

The image above is a fan-art concept, I think...

If that's right it's basically a defensive response given GCN has already hit market, and should be more significantly more flexible then VLIW4 or VLIW5. That they'd make a point to go with VLIW4 to compete with a VLIW5 in order to try to spoil Nintendo's launch seems weird to me. That they'd settle for only a 20% advantage, if accurate, would tend to point towards dropping the SEGA sold at a loss strategy.

Well, considering how long this generation has been, I would expect the next one to be double this one in length. LOL

The WiiU needs to be done as the Wii is dying a slow painful death. The 360 & PS3 are still doing fairly well, and the WiiU will probably only meet the standards in graphics and online that these 2 systems set into motion years ago. So I still see no rush for a 720 or PS4 until the market really, really needs it.

Once either system is announced, I'm sure they will blow the WiiU away, but at this point graphics won't be a HUGE deciding factor, not as much as I believe form factor will. Who has the best overall all-in-one experiance will win the next console race. What ever motion controls, and set top functionallity there is, better be well thought out, and work perfectly out the gate, and be supported fully from all involved.

So would I buy a new xbox? Sure. I had an original with an extended warranty from Bestbuy, so once the slim was released, I just traded it in for the slim, plus I pocketed 50 bucks due to the lower cost(never got the RROD, but I came late to the Xbox party). Then last year, I finally sold of my original PS3 60GB for close to 300, which in turn payed for my new slim PS3, so I'm still enjoying this generation, so I doubt I would buy either next gen system at launch. Exept for the WiiU, as I know Nintendo will probably never release a new slimer model anytime soon, and my Wii is next to useless now, but it is modded, so I continue to use it for my sons entertainment.

Chris

IBM made the microprocessor for GCN a very long time ago though.
I expect you're thinking of something else. I'm refering to AMD's new Graphic Core Next GPU architecture, which is compatible with C code. Hence being compared to VLIW4 & VLIW5.

The WiiU needs to be done as the Wii is dying a slow painful death. The 360 & PS3 are still doing fairly well, and the WiiU will probably only meet the standards in graphics and online that these 2 systems set into motion years ago.
Ignoring that can only sort of works as "set the standard" for consoles, why would you assume that? Those consoles were obsolete before they hit market, can't handle their GPU as well as a PC with the equivalent GPU, have compromized CPU cores, and used 90nm process parts. There's nothing special about the XBox 360 or PS3 that would make it even vaguely difficult for Nintendo to trump them while using newer architectures, APIs, and processes particularly as Nintendo has tended to keep their IBM processors relatively intact and has little reason to RAM bottleneck things as bad as occurs with the XBox 360 and PS3. Just correcting those bottlenecks insures the Wii U would be able to operate on an entirely different level.

Apparently the next XBox is not going to be able to play used games

Saw that too, can't say this wasn't an expected development but unless the games are going to sell for pennies, they can stuff their new console where the sun don't shine as far as I'm concerned. I won't buy a physical copy of a game if I don't then 'own' it.

Apparently the next XBox is not going to be able to play used games

Saw that too, can't say this wasn't an expected development but unless the games are going to sell for pennies, they can stuff their new console where the sun don't shine as far as I'm concerned. I won't buy a physical copy of a game if I don't then 'own' it.
I doubt they they would be stupid enough to alienate their customers by blocking the use of secondhand games.Thing i dont get is if you buy a game secondhand and really enjoy it you are likely to buy the inevitable sequel to said game brand new on its release day.In this way secondhand games feed into new game sales.

@Jebe

When I say standard, I'm refering to "console" standards. The PC will never have a standard as new parts are released weekly, and there is no set standard for anything. The PC is always better, but comparing a PC to consoles is an apples to oranges argument.

I personally don't expect the WiiU to do games that are any better graphically than 5+ year old machines that have dialed in there units. A first gen Zelda or Mario will not look any better than a God Of War 3, Uncharted 3, or Gears Of War 3. And even when they do finally start pushing the WiiU graphically, the next 360 and PS3 will be here, and I'm sure those 2 consoles will take a huge step up in regards to what the WiiU can do across the board.

In regards to online, they appear to finally be getting rid of that number code crap, and doing some form of gamer ID like everyone else has been doing forever.

Chris

Back