Microsoft XBOX ONE

Apparently the next XBox is not going to be able to play used games, the same article says that it's going to use Bluray as well. If they do use Bluray wouldn't they have to pay royalties to their biggest competitor? lol.

http://au.gamespot.c...-report-6349165

If this turns out being true, I will not be buying a new xbox. At least until there's a workaround ;) . They shouldn't restrict be able to restrict you from purchasing used games, that's just insane and in my opinion it would be a PR disaster and most likely result in M$ losing this console war. Do they have any clue how bad the global economy is right now? A lot of people nowadays do not want to spend $50-$60+ a pop simply because they cannot afford it.

I have a feeling that this isn't going to become reality, if it is then I'll just say it now RIP xbox 720 or whatever your final name ends up being lol.

Apparently the next XBox is not going to be able to play used games

Saw that too, can't say this wasn't an expected development but unless the games are going to sell for pennies, they can stuff their new console where the sun don't shine as far as I'm concerned. I won't buy a physical copy of a game if I don't then 'own' it.
I doubt they they would be stupid enough to alienate their customers by blocking the use of secondhand games.Thing i dont get is if you buy a game secondhand and really enjoy it you are likely to buy the inevitable sequel to said game brand new on its release day.In this way secondhand games feed into new game sales.

And this is another reason why M$ shouldn't block secondhand games. It will not only cause they're hardware sales to plummet but also their software sales (for sequels, prequels, remakes etc.)

Guess what? If I didn't buy Mirror's Edge used, I'd have no interest in the sequel.

I would hazard to guess that in this they're actually working with real numbers and working with the math. They've probably done some estimates and found that the number of people they'll lose the sequels on because they couldn't buy second hand will be compensated for by the number of users that bit the bullet and bought the first one at market value instead of used. I can actually see a set of conditions where this would actually make sense: it means that you don't buy Mirror's Edge 2, but someone else did buy Mirror's Edge 1 and maybe they enjoyed it enough to buy the second at full price as well: net gain is greater than 0 so they do it.

It could also be that their estimates are wrong, that the number of people accepting their fate and buying games first hand is not nearly as high as they expect, but that's only something time will tell, and then be blamed on piracy.

but imagine if you couldnt buy used cars....youre kind of eliminating a huge market here

There is such a huge difference between cars and video games that the comparison can't even be made. It's not even apples and oranges, it's apples and cell phones.

cars have controls, video games have controls, cars are computerized, video games are computerized, video game systems are manufactured out of outdated material, cars are manufactured out of outdated material, therefor, i win

You can draw many similar comparisons between apples and cell phones as well (especially Apple cell phones) but that doesn't mean a cell phone would go great in a fruit salad.

@Jebe

When I say standard, I'm refering to "console" standards. The PC will never have a standard as new parts are released weekly, and there is no set standard for anything. The PC is always better, but comparing a PC to consoles is an apples to oranges argument.

I personally don't expect the WiiU to do games that are any better graphically than 5+ year old machines that have dialed in there units. A first gen Zelda or Mario will not look any better than a God Of War 3, Uncharted 3, or Gears Of War 3. And even when they do finally start pushing the WiiU graphically, the next 360 and PS3 will be here, and I'm sure those 2 consoles will take a huge step up in regards to what the WiiU can do across the board.

Chris
Really? Do you really want me to do a Valley girl impression? And like totally the 7970 and i7 2700k are so last week. And like when is Intel going to release Ivy Bridge? Happy?

Now that we've gotten that bit of absurdity out of the way, you seem to be having issues related to being so set on "the Wii is last gen" to the point you can't take it back and get a little perspective. The funny thing about the emphasis on multiplatform launches is that engines happen to have been designed to use quad Out of Order cores, and newer APIs then OpenGL 2.0/DirectX 9.

Imagine it or not they even already design to allow for usage of more GPU then:

X1900XTX

375GFLOPS

10.4 GP/s

10.4GT/s

like say a 4770, which was already designed for 40nm? And is you know the baseline where it would make sense to have a discrete GPU chip instead of folding it into a SoC in the 4xxx series? Because believe it or not there is a market where people have even more powerful hardware they sell the exact same games to.

960GFLOPS

12GP/s

24GT/s

Seems as how you want to go there, there's also this little issue that Microsoft thermal design had traditionally had problems with GPUs that didn't have a meaningfully over 100W TDP in their desktop iteration. That combined with the nature of the design factors driving a console, tends to mean they're not liable to use a GPU with a TDP meaningfully over 100W. So for 6xxx series hardware, without relying on a die shrink that would mean a 6770 level card. That incidentally is 800 stream processors verse 640 in a 4770.

The only way a XBox follow on would be able to trump the Wii U to the degree the Wii U will likely humiliate the XBox 360/PS3 is if it focuses on newer process parts, which are just starting to come online, and hence have no reason to mess with VLIW4. Otherwise design constraints mean that the Microsoft and Sony follow ons will be the one's having a difficult time showing a meaningful advantage.

That's not even getting into the fact we're now in the middle of a worldwide recession and repeating the SEGA strategy of overcharging for games to make up for selling the hardware cheaply won't necessarily be repeated. Afterall Microsoft is no longer in the process of trying to establish a brand.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would hazard to guess that in this they're actually working with real numbers and working with the math. They've probably done some estimates and found that the number of people they'll lose the sequels on because they couldn't buy second hand will be compensated for by the number of users that bit the bullet and bought the first one at market value instead of used. I can actually see a set of conditions where this would actually make sense: it means that you don't buy Mirror's Edge 2, but someone else did buy Mirror's Edge 1 and maybe they enjoyed it enough to buy the second at full price as well: net gain is greater than 0 so they do it.

It could also be that their estimates are wrong, that the number of people accepting their fate and buying games first hand is not nearly as high as they expect, but that's only something time will tell, and then be blamed on piracy.
This is plausible but as you say their estimates could be wrong. The last 6 games i bought were secondhand as the prices get slashed very quickly nowadays due to the economy and so many triple A games being simultaneously released.

To be fair, that's only a rumor from a "reliable industry source", and even the source says "may include". It's possible some big wigs sat around and said "what would happen if we did this?" and that question was leaked to the press. Meanwhile they're still debating it and may decide against it. Or they may go through with it. When the time comes, vote with your dollars, that's all you can do.

Some details of a Xbox 720 dev box are circulating with apparently some specs leaked like a 8 core intel CPU. See story in slash gear below.

A disturbing rumor is that the Xbox 720 and the Playstation orbis will have used game blockers. Basically a method to prevent you playing a used game unless you buy another license. If this is true, it will suck hard.

http://www.slashgear.com/xbox-720-du...sole-30240799/

Eventually just unplugging 'your' games console from the internet without good reason will probably mean you have committed some kind of crime.

indeed.

this is beyond a joke eh, talk about shooting themselves in the foot.

not like that kids mum is going to buy the game at full whack, just means that kid will get no games, and likely not even the console once mum realises that she has to buy him games at full cost and cannot pop into Game or Crackconverter to see what's in the bargain bins.

I think it will definately be available in 2013 and announced before the years end. It will have cloud gaming but also will have physical media+fully integrated+improved kinect. I think microsoft will come out on top. Apple and google are their main competitiors I think. It will be a general media hub centre also. My moneys on microsoft for the next gen battle. edit I don't think blocking secondhand games will happen but rather alternate means of monetising games may surface.

Looking forward to the next gen, will get whichever platform walks in first, which is most likely MS.

The used games part sounds like a bummer, but personally doesnt matter so much, i rarely go for used games.

I haven't bought a new game for about 25 years. All games I buy are used. New games are just to expensive for me.

I think the last new game I bought was f18 for the Amiga 500. All 60 games I have for my Xbox and ps2 where all bought second hand.

I have had every console in each generation, as a result I buy second hand games as that many consoles would make me broke buying new games. I think this will be the first time I will buy non of the new consoles and stick with my PC + Pandora :p .

Back