Microsoft XBOX Series X

For me, this is hands down MS best looking console, no question, as I still own the original Xbox and that thing was fugly as hell and then some. The 360 was OK, and the ONE was pretty cool, at least the S model, as I like the smaller footprint of that model. For me, this SX seems sleek, straight forward, and to the point, so I love the function and simplicity, as this would go unnoticed most places I would put it. I'm no fan of black, so I would probably opt for a different color at some point, but as is, I'm cool with it. I don't own a ONE yet, or PS4 for that matter, so I'm guessing I'll probably skip this current gen, in favor of backwards compatibility of the next(if PS5 rumors are true of course).

When it's all said and done, I find most systems to look god awful most off the time, so I'm of the view you either go with something killer looking, or something more functional, or in a best case scenario, a combination of the two. Steve Jobs(who I'm no fan of), saw things like this as looking cool and being functional, and most places, just don't follow those ideals. Which shows, as the way these system often look, you can tell the outer appearance was a later thought more often than not.

As for the name, it's whatever to me, as I don't really think consumers will be confused at retail like the Wii U debacle, as the Xbox in general is geared to a more hardcore base, and most will know what this is. Am I wanting one? Well, the fact I don't own any current gen system(NS is included as well), pretty much shows I'm in no rush for this. The only reasons I ever even wanted a ONE, have all come to the NS, so unless this SX gets a better line up of games in coming years, this unit may not get bought either, but the name and the look won't be a factor in that(just if it has games I want or not).

Chris

That photo actually made me consider how big this console actually is. Since that slot is cd sized, this thing is actully about the size of two full height 5.12inch drives stacked side by side.

More insight.

Skip to 7:40.

Last edited:
Hey, did any of you hear about Microsoft's plan not to make any Xbox Series X games exclusive for the first two years of its release?

By non-exclusive, they mean also bringing the games to Xbox One and PC, so they could still be Microsoft exclusive. I gotta think this sends mixed messages about how necessary the Series X really is though.

I assume this means speculation about it being backwards compatible with older MS consoles is unlikely to be true then. If all the late xbone games can be run on the series X then that's most of what anyone actually cares about from that library.

I don't think you can claim they're the worst in terms of destroying games culutre. I was disappointed with Microsoft in the early 80s because stuff like early editions of Excel was basically a basic clone of Lotus 1,2,3, and DOS was no better than CP/M in a lot of respects just sold better. But without the original xbox, I suspect Sega would be dead by now. Jon Hare was on the radio the other day, and reckons the death of british gaming happened when shops like HMV became a lot more professional, and didn't want new IPs just sequels to the old stuff, plus the decline of magazines since most of us back then got our new games through the mail order advertised in said magazines. And then came playstation, and suddenly what sold became americanised and stopped being funny.

But yeah, I'm concerned about microsoft hardware, so my MS consoles have never been plugged into my network, and I never bought into the xbone.

Official Microsoft news...

l05hgcq62t4shhsikckw.jpg

12 TFlops in an APU, that's impressive!
I wonder why AMD don't sell these APUs on PC, they could kill both Intel and Nvidia with one stone - as it would probably be cheaper than getting both a highend CPU + a highend graphic card.
My recently purchased RTX 2080 is less powerfull and probably more expensive than the whole XSX package...

The Specs look indead pretty awesome, but i have my ONEX just since fall 2 Yeahrs ago (2018), and as its a pretty big console, i dotnt know what to do whit the ONEX if i would buy me a Series X,
Also i have the ONEX on my Desctop as a "Displaystand" (much cheaper than the Display Holder from Apple, and much more Powerfull), and i use it more likely as a Desctop Console than a Couch Console because i dotnt see that good on my Bigger TV.. for Simulator Games..

Code:
https://blog.mixer.com/2020/06/22/the-next-step-for-mixer/

Microsoft is shutting down Mixer. Looks like you'll be Facebook Gaming on your Series X.

You know, I actually kinda like this idea of a low powered alternative. New tech keeps making games harder to make instead of easier. It'd be nice to finally find a point where the tech is good enough and just sit there.

Lockhart may actually end up becoming the first permanent console. It boggles me that the video game industry has to shoot itself in the foot every seven years by discontinuing popular products.

I mean one that they keep producing. There have been reasons in the past why something like the Wii couldn't just go on forever. If Lockhart is successful though, I don't see it dying until x64 or HDMI die. It has no need to be upgraded, because that's what Series X is for. It's just supposed to be what it already is.

I mean, if Wii had an x64 architecture and HDMI support, we'd probably still be playing that thing today. It hit the market before all our tech got finalized. Lockhart, assuming it has an SSD, has all the pieces to stick around.

Back