Minecraft Dev Gets Pandora Before Me

bce23w

So apparently the developer of Minecraft has gotten his Pandora.

A search indicated this subject hadn't come up before, which is surprising to me. Is he registered here? IS HE WATCHING ME RIGHT NOW

Fun game. Worth the tiny amount of money it costs. Fennec can run Java applets, right?

Yeah Ive seen it. I dont think Minecraft will run good on the Pandora. It even runs without 2 FPS on celeron laptops.

I heard him saying though that he wanted to port it to the Pandora some day, so hopefully with alot of optimisations it will run

Mithrildor said:
Yeah Ive seen it. I dont think Minecraft will run good on the Pandora. It even runs without 2 FPS on celeron laptops.

I heard him saying though that he wanted to port it to the Pandora some day, so hopefully with alot of optimisations it will run
this little game eats 50% of my Processor Power. And I have a Core 2 Quad 2.66GHz. He uses Java. I don't want to complain about Java but I must say, Java seems so incredible inefficient. :lol:
I bet this Game could run onto the Pandora Full SPeed, if he would use propper OpenGL (ES) or C or anything else than java. ^^""

Why people choose so often the most inefficient way to write Software?

Last edited by a moderator:
fusion_power said:
Why people choose so often the most inefficient way to write Software?

Because it is what they know. Though I do think Java is a terrible language for anything other than small apps unless your not bothered about speed or efficiency in any calculations.

I'd rather see Java die before Flash, though in an ideal world they would die at the same time.

Wow, lots of Java hate in here. There's nothing terribly inefficient about most JVM implementations.

Minecaft uses, I believe, an OpenGL library... Can't remember the name, but an OpenGL ES/ARM version of said library would be necessary to run minecraft on the Pandora.

Interesting. Never heard of minecraft. HOWEVER, I can't play it because it doesn't allow dynamic control settings. I use Dvorak so the settings WASD has to be replaced with <AOE. It looks well made otherwise though.

It's mostly Swing (java's gui-toolkit) that sucks.
Java itself isn't really all that bad speed-wise, but the few decent JVMs consume huge amounts of memory, and the language doesn't really allow for any kind of optimization...

Oh, and it's still far, far faster than most scripting-languages... Java is often used on (web)servers where it competes with things like PHP and ruby...

here's some benchmarks across a lot of languages:
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/

Laurencevde said:
Java itself isn't really all that bad speed-wise, but the few decent JVMs consume huge amounts of memory

Try comparing Java bytecode with pure x86 assembly on a 50mhz 486. Then come back and tell me that Java isn't bad, speed-wise.

D.

Lunatic said:
Wow, lots of Java hate in here. There's nothing terribly inefficient about most JVM implementations.

the fact that you need a JVM is what makes it inefficient.

-God Ginrai

Dunny said:
Laurencevde said:
Java itself isn't really all that bad speed-wise, but the few decent JVMs consume huge amounts of memory

Try comparing Java bytecode with pure x86 assembly on a 50mhz 486. Then come back and tell me that Java isn't bad, speed-wise.

D.

Try flying cross-country in a 747, then come back and tell me that a BMW Z3 isn't slow as molasses. :rolleyes:

I'm just saying that a lot of people who seem to have a problem with Java, don't have any problem with Python, or C#, or other slower languages.

Some Java byte code can be about 2x slower than C, which really isn't very bad in the scheme of things, and it's not a bad price to pay for portability.

Lunatic said:
and it's not a bad price to pay for portability.

It's only portable if the system you want it on has a proper JVM written for it. And even then there are sometimes problems. Really, Java is just as portable as C when you take that into consideration.

-God Ginrai

Kicker said:
Mithrildor said:

Ehn, there wasn't much of a topic to begin with. :p

I was typing that same reply until I noticed your post in the topic summary. I'm lucky I have mad ninja dodging skills. ;)

-God Ginrai

Kicker said:
Dunny said:
Laurencevde said:

D.

Try flying cross-country in a 747, then come back and tell me that a BMW Z3 isn't slow as molasses. :rolleyes:

Nice analogy, but it only works if the guy trying to sell you the BMW is saying that it's pretty much as fast as a 747 :)

D.

The Minecraft Dev made a Pandora review:
http://notch.tumblr.com/post/676539362/the-pandora-review#disqus_thread
I wonder if he already is present here in the Forums? He has a Pandora but never mentioned if he plan or try to make his game run onto the Handheld. ^^

Back