Mk2 Question

EvilDragon posted on Oct 9 2006 at 03:19 AM said:
Epicenter posted on Oct 4 2006 at 06:18 PM said:
The big problem with the stick in the MK1/MK2 (it affects both, since they're the same stick) .. is the swing time from one side to the other. If you are pressing right to run to the right in Sonic and want to stop suddenly, you'd slam Left. But the time it takes to get left makes your stop sluggish, and you'll probably hit whatever you were trying to avoid.

Hm, I'm playing Magical Drop III in Hard mode (only available when region switched to Japan) without any problems.
And I can't think of any game requiring FASTER left / right movements...
Before modding my gp2x with DaveC's pad, I found Magical drop and Money puzzle exchange harder than what I was used to. With the pad, it's a lot better. Tetris with gnuboy2x was also very annoying before, but now it's just perfect.

EDIT: I have a MKI first edition, I can't comment on MKII

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing, but I suspect that the majority of vocal members on this board have a MK 1. This skews the result and gives an unduly negative spin on the joystick debate.

Problem for me is that I can't convince myself to buy a Mk 2 just for the same joystick to be twisted and hence slightly improved. I would buy another one, but would really need to see a more drastic improvement.

But that means that I still moan about the stick when there is an improved one available - which I guess is a little unfair...

andyB911 posted on Oct 9 2006 at 06:07 AM said:
I'm guessing, but I suspect that the majority of vocal members on this board have a MK 1. This skews the result and gives an unduly negative spin on the joystick debate.

Problem for me is that I can't convince myself to buy a Mk 2 just for the same joystick to be twisted and hence slightly improved. I would buy another one, but would really need to see a more drastic improvement.

But that means that I still moan about the stick when there is an improved one available - which I guess is a little unfair...
It's not unfair to complain about that, and it's not an unfair spin that more MK1 owners complain than MK2 owners. You cannot expect every MK1 owner who paid about $180 for their machine, then ~$20 for batteries and a charger, and $20-75 for SD storage media to suddenly drop another $180 to buy a machine with PROBLEMS fixed. A real company replaces faulty units, GPH can't afford to replace every MK1 with an MK2, even though the 'improvements' are really fixes to defective units, essentially. The system should just have been done right in the first place-- so it's perfectly appropriate to weigh MK1 owner response as it is now.

I agree with you that the only way I'd buy another GP2X is if a D-Pad were preinstalled, and ideally, many of the GP2X's other faults were corrected. But odds are the only choice will be to buy an even MORE expensive MK2 with a d-pad mod done by Craig, and it'll have to cost more with this new practice of selling higher-clockrate-tested GP2X'es... since people NOT buying the ones tested for higher speeds will no doubt get machines tested to overclock like shit. And as most know, about half the emulators for the GP2X require significant overclocking to run properly.

andyB911 posted on Oct 9 2006 at 01:07 PM said:

If you are happy with something you don't tend to moan about it, if you are unhappy, you moan: hence why MKI users are pissed off and MKII users are quieter. I have had all 3 types (my first edition one was returned, I bought a MK1.5 and now have a MKII), so I posted my comments above on them. Actually, the MKII is good, acceptable joystick (considerably better accuracy) and I have got quite used to the screen.

Bottom line is if CraigiX gets too greedy and wants to upping the price of the GP2x for models which overclock higher and gets greedy with the cost of putting in a D-pad, people will simply buy from other sources...

The original poster asked about the Mk2, so to him I guess people with problems with the Mk1 joystick may be clouding the issue.
Many Mk2 owners have never had a Mk1 so don't understand the issues (me included :) ).

(There are plenty of other threads discussing Mk1 joystick problems.)

Back