Mk2 With Extra Voltage On Ext Port

Website
Visit site
On the gp32spain site, Anarchy has posted a nice description of the soon-to-be-released GP2X dockstation.

link

In describing the various ports on the DT, Anarchy also says that the MK2 EXT port should be able (due to extra voltage available, in respect to MK1) to directly power (and host as per FW 2.0) USB devices such as pen drives, and small HD (obviously at the batteries' duration expense).

Is this official ?

If this rumor is true, it will means that the MK2 has another (significant) difference from the MK1 besides LCD and joystick 45° rotation...

weirdocollector posted on May 23 2006 at 03:23 PM said:
On the gp32spain site, Anarchy has posted a nice description of the soon-to-be-released GP2X dockstation.

link

In describing the various ports on the DT, Anarchy also says that the MK2 EXT port should be able (due to extra voltage available, in respect to MK1) to directly power (and host as per FW 2.0) USB devices such as pen drives, and small HD (obviously at the batteries' duration expense).

Is this official ?

If this rumor is true, it will means that the MK2 has another (significant) difference from the MK1 besides LCD and joystick 45° rotation...

wow, i hope so...

this will make USB connectivity a breeze! Makes sense also...who wants to carry around a BoB with PSU just to access a simple USB memory stick, or WIFI adapter...

Though having said that, isnt this a fairly large design modification to the original? And there has been no informtion published by GPH indicating this (or have I just been to stupid to see it)

Now that the MK2's are shipping I imagine we will have the answer soon enough!

Last edited by a moderator:
andyjoiner posted on May 23 2006 at 04:41 PM said:
weirdocollector posted on May 23 2006 at 03:23 PM said:

link

Is this official ?

wow, i hope so...

this will make USB connectivity a breeze! Makes sense also...who wants to carry around a BoB with PSU just to access a simple USB memory stick, or WIFI adapter...

Though having said that, isnt this a fairly large design modification to the original? And there has been no informtion published by GPH indicating this (or have I just been to stupid to see it)

Now that the MK2's are shipping I imagine we will have the answer soon enough!

I totally agree.....that's why I'm surprised...

Could someone with knowledge (Craig) confirm or dismiss this rumor, please ?

Come on! Someone stick a pen-drive in their GP2x and let us know the result! In fact, let's be more ambitious - plug your scanner into it!

It's possible. You can make some small usb devices work with voltage from EXT port. I can operate my mouse and some pen drives with it. I'm working on a GP2X built in Wi-Fi at the moment. B)

What do you do with your mouse on it to see if it's working? Sorry, for my newbie ignorance in this area..

ste_167 posted on May 23 2006 at 06:07 PM said:
What do you do with your mouse on it to see if it's working? Sorry, for my newbie ignorance in this area..
Yes. :) Also it's convenient to work with Qtopia + Mouse.

techFreak posted on May 23 2006 at 05:03 PM said:
It's possible. You can make some small usb devices work with voltage from EXT port. I can operate my mouse and some pen drives with it. I'm working on a GP2X built in Wi-Fi at the moment. B)

On an MK2 or on a MK1 ?

techFreak posted on May 23 2006 at 01:45 PM said:
MK1 or MK2. Doesn't matter.
I'm confused. I thought the Mk1 doesn't power USB devices. Are you talking about a mod to the GP2X or the USB device? Or am I playing in left field on a baseball diamond y'all aren't even at?

Edit: mode == mod

thats impossible cnt get enouigh power out of two aa's unless you use a step up converter and I doubt gamepark bungled one in

@ David yes it possible to power usb devices from ext port using a steup converter that changes 3v to 5v but has a low current draw cos the aas only can power low drain devices like flash drives

The GP2X (current version, at least) supplies 100mA from the EXT Port. This means that you can power low-power consumption USB devices such as pendrives. It can't power WiFi sticks and HDDs, because they draw too much.

OmarNawaz posted on May 23 2006 at 09:37 PM said:
thats impossible cnt get enouigh power out of two aa's unless you use a step up converter and I doubt gamepark bungled one in

@ David yes it possible to power usb devices from ext port using a steup converter that changes 3v to 5v but has a low current draw cos the aas only can power low drain devices like flash drives

We are talking about a serious mod here. <_< A battery mod maybe needed too. And yes you can use low drain devices such as pen driver, mouse, etc...

great minds think alike it seems

while you are at 5t why not wire up a built in powered usb port put a switch to turn it off and power it from the battery

techFreak posted on May 24 2006 at 01:38 AM said:
ste_167 posted on May 23 2006 at 06:07 PM said:
Yes. :) Also it's convenient to work with Qtopia + Mouse.

It would also be sweet to play with ScummVM

David Beoulve posted on May 23 2006 at 12:04 PM said:
Neat, so my 1g USB pendrive should work? That's cool.

Yes, low current devices work, there are schematics on the wiki for 3v to 5v step-up.

I hope you got a deal on that 1GB stick, I was just in Best Buy and there was a 1GB stick for $44.95 on sale and an additional $10 mail-in rebate. $35 :)

I might just start using one of those for storage instead of an SD if the new mini BoB that techfreak is going to release comes out small enough to clip on all the time, even if it isn't I will make my own.

Does that mean I can do THIS:
gp2x_sm.jpg

Most external HDDs require a good bit of power, probably over 100mA. My Seagate 20GB disk is one of few decent-capacity disks I know of that does NOT need an external power brick, and it still requires 2 USB connections, and when the secondary power connection is removed, it often becomes unstable. If it did work, most drives would put a huge drain on the '2x'es battery life.

Probably better off using flash based devices or self-powered things if possible..

Back