Mk3?

YakumoFuji

play asia has some info on the breakout dev board
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-d1-49-en-70-1f8r.html

talking about a mk3??

"* In case of 1st and second batch GP2X, you should always connect
external regulated DC3V adaptor to Interface board.
* In case of 3rd batch GP2X, you need to connect external adaptors only when you use high-power devices like HDD."

is the '3rd batch' the mk2? I noticed they had a heavy discount on their gp2x... was wondering if there was a mk3 coming, also noticed liksang were out of stock.. just odd coincidences...

There is no MK3, MK2 is as good as it gets. Here's a heads up:

1st batch - first edition MK1
2nd batch - revised MK1
3rd batch - MK2

- Alex

YakumoFuji posted on Sep 6 2006 at 10:47 PM said:
is the '3rd batch' the mk2? I noticed they had a heavy discount on their gp2x... was wondering if there was a mk3 coming, also noticed liksang were out of stock.. just odd coincidences...

There are many small revisions of the GP2X but for info there are 3 main revisions to speak of thus far.

Pre-release 1st editions (most are marked First Edition on the case) - a few 100 (maybe more?) exist without the First Edition print but still use the 1st PCB and case layout.

MK1 release - Small revisions to the above unit, no coating on the battery terminals, smoked plastic over the LED's rather then the clear plastic on the above units. PCB tweaks.

MK2 release - Latest revision - new joystick cap and joystick unit moved through 45 degrees to give U/D/L/R the bias. Also has 5v on the EXT port rather then 3.3v hence the better BoB support and more PCB tweaks. Oh, and it uses another LCD screen (that may be mounted upside down ;)) rather then the TopSun one used in earlier units.

As for a MK3, I am sure as hell there will be one in time, simple revision of electronics dictate that will happen however I think it may be a way off yet. The MK2 seems to be selling well and it’s a better built unit all round, the cost incentive to mess with that has to be very small for a company like GPH.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks guys. I just wasnt sure. I didnt know if the prerelease units were classed as mk I's or not.

I just wish it would drop in price a little more (or play asia had a no shipping coupon!).

DJWillis posted on Sep 6 2006 at 06:06 PM said:
MK2 release. . . Also has 5v on the EXT port rather then 3.3v hence the better BoB support and more PCB tweaks.
Hmm? Doesn't the Wiki article on the Ext port state that the Mk2 still lacks 5v?

The MK2 has been confirmed NOT to supply 5 volt but also 3.3.
Maybe it's just an awkwardly worded sentence. http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/EXT_Port

From what I have heard the MK3 will be exactly the same as MK2 except for the d-pad :p

(dont we wish)

DaveC posted on Sep 6 2006 at 07:30 PM said:
From what I have heard the MK3 will be exactly the same as MK2 except for the d-pad :p

(dont we wish)

do we ever *sigh*

Not all of us.. I hate dpads with a passion.

DJWillis said:
Oh, and it uses another LCD screen (that may be mounted upside down ) rather then the TopSun one used in earlier units.
That would explain why I usually end up tilting mine towards me instead of away to see the screen more clearly :/

sonofsamus posted on Sep 7 2006 at 12:47 AM said:
DJWillis posted on Sep 6 2006 at 06:06 PM said:
MK2 release. . . Also has 5v on the EXT port rather then 3.3v hence the better BoB support and more PCB tweaks.
Hmm? Doesn't the Wiki article on the Ext port state that the Mk2 still lacks 5v?

The MK2 has been confirmed NOT to supply 5 volt but also 3.3.
Maybe it's just an awkwardly worded sentence. http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/EXT_Port

Not personally tested it (I sorted my own power setup ;)) so I bow to more informed opinion on that. I should do some testing.

kevcal posted on Sep 7 2006 at 06:08 AM said:
Yeah - never liked d-pads - joystick is fine for everything I use it for!

Ditto, don't mind d-pads but then I have never found the stick to be as bad as people seem to say (both MK1 and 2) but then a lot of the stuff I do (ScummVM et. all) has it emulating a mouse. I still find it good enough for the games I play but your mileage may very ;).

maybe im crazy to miss the feel of the gp32 stick. You could breathe on it and have it hit a direction with a nice click.

even more off topic..anyone know where to get gp32 replacment glass screens (the cover) still? I haven't looked around but just had this feeling they wouldn't be available anymore now that I want on to revive my old beast.

greenmikey posted on Sep 7 2006 at 09:30 AM said:
even more off topic..anyone know where to get gp32 replacment glass screens (the cover) still? I haven't looked around but just had this feeling they wouldn't be available anymore now that I want on to revive my old beast.

Just a little off topic, I think I have some glass screens about, if not I have the measurements; a decent glazer will cut and round you off a screen for a few pounds top. I don’t remember anybody selling them in any great volume, mostly people just go to there local glass/mirror shop.

greenmikey posted on Sep 7 2006 at 03:30 AM said:
maybe im crazy to miss the feel of the gp32 stick. You could breathe on it and have it hit a direction with a nice click.
They weren't much for diagnols, though. :(

I think I am being really thick but after over 20 years of gaming, what is a D-PAD (direction pad)? :lol: Whats the difference with the gp2x and a dpad? Is it like a GBA, I prefer that, tbh. Think I just answered my question. I am blonde :p

A d-pad is a piece of (for example) plastic with (usually) 4 directions resting over a rubber membrane that closes trace-switches on the board when pressed. Examples are the NES, GB, Genesis, SNES directional pads... and many many others. Yes, like the classic GBA; the SP (I think) and Micro don't use a traditional D-pad though, they use tiny switches for the 4 directions but the same cross-shaped cap style as the classic pad used.

Compared to a stick like the GP2X's which is just a weird switch with many positions.

Back