Modem not connecting

I think the only chance here is to actually contact customer support for it.

We already did. They simply say the modem works on it's own and they don't really support such old models anymore... which is why we're using more recent versions for the next mainboards.
However, it's annoying that they actually sent us TWO different modem versions for the production. Some were already old versions when we received them (with no more firmware updates available), while some are a more recent version (with a new CPU).
We only found that out a while ago (as they look identical). I guess they just wanted to get rid of their old stock :(

@ED
To late... ;-)
Have add a second antenna. May be is a bit better (have an mobile connection at home, yesterday not) but not sure. Have to try a bit more...
The antenna is from a quectel modem but I have no specifications.

Pyra.JPG

Have read the A10393 datasheet. Looks like the antenna not support all the in Germany possible LTE frequencies.
Something I think about is something I note with my old Surfstick. As UMTS (the configured connection) was gone in Germany my old Stick need "endless" time before he switch to an other connection. Is it possible to disable all not needed connection types?
I have contact to HNS but I was to stupid to install Letux (I was hoping I can try the bootloader for RISC OS). Next try today evenning. ;-)

Ah yes in the manual are commands to selectively turn on and off certain frequencies.
Ive done this procedure before on my old ALDI stick with good results.
But no luck on the Pyra.

BUT a wrong one would not connect at all, this one however just connects poorly. So i dont think its related.
Working external antenna sounds interesting tho, maybe my initial theory that the antenna needs to turn on is true and in the end we are looking for a command to turn from the external to the internal one.

Great work folks. The modem is a feature I'm really looking to having on the Pyra.

Working external antenna sounds interesting tho, maybe my initial theory that the antenna needs to turn on is true and in the end we are looking for a command to turn from the external to the internal one.
Looks like the A10393 antenna is not powered (no power pins described in the datasheet) so I think is presend at startup.
I have try to install Letux to a card but it boots only to the console and starlxde gives a "gtk cant find display" error. So I can not compare at this time.

Looks like the A10393 antenna is not powered (no power pins described in the datasheet) so I think is presend at startup.
I have try to install Letux to a card but it boots only to the console and starlxde gives a "gtk cant find display" error. So I can not compare at this time.
Hmmm... but the datasheet doesn't mention any LTE support. Could it be the antenna we're usding does only support UMTS (and below) but no LTE?

Well, if adding such an antenna you are using is a workaround, then we could do the with the current boards and for the next production we could use a new antenna.

Different antennas or parts of one are required for different frequency bands. As before with VHF (First) and UHF (Second and Third), in case anyone remembers ;-) The antenna covers the frequency range from 824 - 960 MHz and 1710 - 2170 MHz. After 2019, however, 700MHz and 3.6 GHz were added. How the real ones are distributed (perhaps also differently for different providers), no idea. My solution is not perfect yet. It got better in some places, not in others. I'll keep looking for a solution.

Since any weeks I have placed the antenna in the "pencil tube". There is enough space in it. Pencil and so on is usable.
Is a good solution for me. Makes my LTE more avilable and stable than without but is not perfect (my external LTE Stick is a bit better).
20230626_044957.jpg

Is my solution for the next time. Maybe I find a better one but no hurry needed. In Berlin it works good now. ;-)

Since any weeks I have placed the antenna in the "pencil tube". There is enough space in it. Pencil and so on is usable.
Is a good solution for me. Makes my LTE more avilable and stable than without but is not perfect (my external LTE Stick is a bit better).
View attachment 38723
Is my solution for the next time. Maybe I find a better one but no hurry needed. In Berlin it works good now. ;-)

Awesome!

Does this proves that after all, this is a hardware problem?
As I wrote (only for Germany)... The (internal) antenna covers the frequency range from 824 - 960 MHz and 1710 - 2170 MHz. After 2019, however, 700MHz and 3.6 GHz were added (tacitly). The build in modem can handle.

Back