More boards, more software (2011 - 01 - 24)

I just want to know when they start shipping batch 2 so i can add a tv cable to the order before they ship it. I don't care about where i am in the order line up it won't make it come any faster.

Well, in the time it's taken Pandora to arrive, I have:

- Blibbedy blabbedy bloo

Er, well done, I guess.

Have you only just noticed that in this particular universe events can happen in parallel?

Their products are closed sourced and that firefox plugin seems to be platform dependant, it complains that I don't have a correct OS when I try it in Linux (regular desktop Linux). Perhaps the Android mobile player "may" work, but I wouldn't guarantee it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Their products are closed sourced and that firefox plugin seems to be platform dependant, it complains that I don't have a correct OS when I try it in Linux (regular desktop Linux). Perhaps the Android mobile player "may" work, but I wouldn't guarantee it.

that's too bad, thanks for trying. if anyone could get the slingplayer for firefox working, please let me know. i think i will pass on ordering this, and stick with the icontrolpad. Thanks.

I don't recall ever hearing OPT claiming any sort of brilliant business acumen. They just had an idea for a cool console and actually had the balls to try and make that reality. A "competent" businessman would not have given you a queue position in the first place, so can we just drop it?

You're right. They've shown time and again that they're not.

No, you've missed the point entirely. It doesn't matter what would happen in a parallel universe where they have a magic tracking system. In this reality they DO have to figure out where somebody is in the queue, and insisting that they do so slows down things for everybody.

No, it wouldn't slow them down any. Because they'd get Jacquelyn to take care of it. Sure, she's busy with other things right now, too, but think how much faster she could respond to people's questions about order numbers. Or they could post an anonymous list, and she wouldn't have to spend any more time on it. It can't be hard - I bet I could do it in less than 30 minutes with Excel, depending on the data format.

Hell. How do they even know how many have been built/shipped, and who to send to next if they can't keep their lists straight?

I second djaychela. Denial of a problem doesn't make it less of a problem.

I get it - you want your console, I want my console, we all want our consoles. Knowing exactly how many people get will get their consoles before you do will not make your console arrive any faster. Chill out.

Or just whine some more. Everyone loves that.

That's the point, though. It wouldn't arrive any faster, but we'd have a better sense of how long it would take to arrive. That's all we've ever been after, these 2.25 years. An estimate of when it would arrive, and how much farther we had to go.

Especially given the gross inconsistencies in the numbers. Can't help but wonder if they're just made up.

I think my broken pandora is now in newcastle, hope to get a new one soon :)

Hope so too. Last blog-entry said, that soon the first broken-nub-boards will go to texas and we gotta talk to our destributor to get details about replacements. Did somebody get such?
Yeah, mine has been there 2 weeks to the day. I just sent an email to Jackie to get a progress report, once I hear back, I'll let you guys know what she tells me.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I'm really looking forward to see some progress there. Unfortunatly my pandora is from ED, so I've got noone to get an answer from B) (It feels like stalking to ask him questions even though I know he's busy)
I heard from Jacquelyn today, and she says they are very busy, and that she estimates my unit should dispatch out in 7-10 days and that they will inform me once it ships.

Not a lot of info, but I'm happy to hear what I got. My Pandora is greatly missed.

Chris

that's too bad, thanks for trying. if anyone could get the slingplayer for firefox working, please let me know. i think i will pass on ordering this, and stick with the icontrolpad. Thanks.

Well your loss, especially how their are other methods of streaming video to a Pandora. Not to mention you can actually plug in a USB Digital TV tuner directly into the pandora and watch TV.

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/404-dvb-t-tv-on-pandora/

iPhone 4 has the new HD slingplayer, not to mention you can run a large number of great emulators from zodttd. so i think the icontrolpad will be a great investment.

that's too bad, thanks for trying. if anyone could get the slingplayer for firefox working, please let me know. i think i will pass on ordering this, awnd stick with the icontrolpad. Thanks.

Well your loss, especially how their are other methods of streaming video to a Pandora. Not to mention you can actually plug in a USB Digital TV tuner directly into the pandora and watch TV.

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/404-dvb-t-tv-on-pandora/

iPhone 4 has the new HD slingplayer, not to mention you can run a large number of great emulators from zodttd. so i think the icontrolpad will be a great investment.

Meh, the iControlPad is just a Pandora with its head ripped off anyways. :p

I hope you enjoy your purchase! The thing looks pretty incredible judging by the latest images. :)

Since I found it hard to find I'll just c&p the info here:

• Units produced so far: About 1600
  • PCB production: 2100 should be finished at the end of the week (2011-01-28)
  • Total number of LCD cables finished: About 2100. 1000 are currently being soldered by EvilDragon.
  • Total number of cases produced: About 5000
  • Nub Company: All nubs are finished
  • Case Company: All cases finished, 2000 have already arrived in UK (excluding the ones already shipped as as final Pandoras), the remaining 2000 are currently on the way to UK via ship.
  • Misc Info: Batch 2 is due to start shortly after Batch 1 is finished, Parts have all been ordered, some have been paid already.

Source: http://openpandora.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=98&Itemid=13&lang=en

Most people receiving their pandoras say they were around the 600-700 mark at the moment and even when you factor in the extra quarter going to Germany this number doesn't add up. Has Craig got a load of completed pandoras lying around waiting to be shipped or am I missing something?

Most people receiving their pandoras say they were around the 600-700 mark at the moment and even when you factor in the extra quarter going to Germany this number doesn't add up. Has Craig got a load of completed pandoras lying around waiting to be shipped or am I missing something?

Well... I can't see how often this question has been answered during the last few weeks over and over again, but I can understand you asking ;)

1. About 150-200 units (AFAIR) were one-nubbers, as a lot of nubs were broken. The people who wanted them could skip the queue.

2. Remove about 100-150 units for replacements.

3. Remove about 1/4th for units that went to Germany.

So: 1600 - (1600/4) - 200 - 100 = about 900 shipped from Craigs queue.

I've seen users reporting they were in Craigs queue about 800 and received their units.

Some units take about 2 weeks shipping (depending on shipping service, customs, etc.), so those guys are waiting for their units even though they have been shipped already.

Sometimes Jacquelyne did a mistake (found something like that a few days on this board, where someone was given a too low queue number and when he asked, he got the correct one), she's only human.

I work in administration, and that's part of the reason that I'm not asking for my queue number. It's an horrendous ball ache to sift through finance data for me.

That's the point, though. It wouldn't arrive any faster, but we'd have a better sense of how long it would take to arrive. That's all we've ever been after, these 2.25 years. An estimate of when it would arrive, and how much farther we had to go.

Interesting. Know what? We make a deal: You get to know exactly when the pandora will ship. And since that is all you've ever wanted, it ships to me.

Now stop being melodramatic. It'll come in time. It'll come quicker if the relevant people (Craig, ED, Jaquelyn) can work with building and shipping pandoras, instead of answering the same silly questions over and over and over again. Try not to think about it too much, in order to not die from high blood pressure before it arrives.

No, it wouldn't slow them down any. Because they'd get Jacquelyn to take care of it.

This...speaks for itself.

Now stop being melodramatic. It'll come in time. It'll come quicker if the relevant people (Craig, ED, Jaquelyn) can work with building and shipping pandoras, instead of answering the same silly questions over and over and over again. Try not to think about it too much, in order to not die from high blood pressure before it arrives.
Agreed 100%.

Pem_69, we all know the rules here. OpenPandora is not (yet?) a big company but "4 guys in a basement", they try new things with only a dream to push them in the back, they fight, and it takes time. Sure they probably made some mistakes, who doesn't? That's how you learn. Most of us here chose to support them, giving them our money long before we can expect the Pandora in our hands, because we see it as the only one of its kind and that adventure needs to be invested in.

It's not like they took your money and went partying in the Bahamas with it. They need the money to buy the parts, assemble them and kickstart the machine. If you don't like that and want a 2-business-days-delivery, that's perfectly fine and you can cancel your order, and come back when the production issues are sorted and there is no delay in ordering. But no need to come whinging here, where that is badly regarded.

Back