More numbers, late again :) (2011 - 04 - 05)

any idea when we can expect another update? Am thinking about going ahead and ordering a premium if I don't have my pandora when I graduate

Just got my shipping confirmation for my batch1 order - NOT the premium one. I forget my position in line, but I THINK it's in the forums somewhere.
I really really wish I knew my place in line :( I have had a order for a few months now and I only know its at the end of batch 1.

It surely is outdated. One reason I ordered was that the Pandora would have been the first OMAP3-device.

Well, when I get it, it is the last :)

I guess it depends WHY one was purchasing the Pandora. At the time they were doing pre-orders we DID expect to have one of the first Omap3 devices, making it cutting edge. It's no longer cutting edge; however, anything it could've done then can pretty much be done now.

All the emulators will still run. The office productivity will still run, and so will web browsing.

It's still an awesome, mostly open platform for development. I've taken a hiatus from the forums for a bit because of work and school, and I didn't complete my homebrew entry, damn it, but any 2D or 3D stuff it could've done in the past it can still do.

Heck, there are plenty of areas that it MAY improve given time. Video playback, for instance, if we get the DSP working properly.

So it's no longer cutting edge, but for my uses it's no more dated than when the Craiginator was proposed. :-b

Heck, there are plenty of areas that it MAY improve given time. Video playback, for instance, if we get the DSP working properly.

I've been hoping to take a stab at this when I get my Pandora. The relevant packages are here and here if anyone wants to beat me to it.

A Pandora2 would obviously not use the OMAP4 as we will want to use the latest tech again, only bring it to market far far faster (as we did with the iCP orders to shipping time).
No OMAP4 pandora? So you're going to wait for OMAP5 before you even think about designing a successor to the pandora?

A Pandora2 would obviously not use the OMAP4 as we will want to use the latest tech again, only bring it to market far far faster (as we did with the iCP orders to shipping time).
No OMAP4 pandora? So you're going to wait for OMAP5 before you even think about designing a successor to the pandora?

Well whatever we use has to look the PSP2 right in the eyes so the OMAP4 is out.

Well whatever we use has to look the PSP2 right in the eyes so the OMAP4 is out.

I guess that throws out my secret hope of you guys working on a successor already! I think that's a really good approach though, forward looking. If you weren't forward looking, the Pandora would be positively backwards now, but it's holding up well, years after the initial design. The speed of iteration in ARM designs is amazing right now, who knows where it'll be in a year. Plus, you got the battery life problem just right; phone manufacturers forget that part a lot.

^ It's also worth remembering that the Pandora itself was a forward-looking device itself when it was first designed. No reason why OP shouldn't continue the trend.

Hi Seamus, try to avoid a heart attack there. wouldn't want you to need those little white pills for under the tongue. the wait is killing, we all know that. i waited for over three years and there were enough moments that i considered asking for a refund. I also had my doubts about the one nubbers wich made people skip the queue and the premium orders.

All members of OPT are doing everything they can to finish this job as good and as fast as possible. I received my unit (no premium, no one nubber) last week. All i can say is that the wait was hell but very well worth it. hang on, you're waiting two years now. there are a few options.

1: opt out and get a refund (i can guarantee you dont really want to do this now the project is so close to finishing. You've managed to wait for two years now, the last few weeks are the hardest but when you finally get to tinker with pandora's box you'll be glad to have waited just this little bit longer.)

2: go for premium and get a pandora within a week.

3: just wait, hang in there and don't risk opting out just before your order is about to ship. The moment you receive a mail that your order is sent will be a huge relief.

Datalore, interesting. I used to chat every day with a guy on AOL (Star Trek chat room) who went by Datalore way back in like 1997-2000. It would be highly improbable if that was you, but I have to ask. Commander Ro would be a name you might remember. I was still Poem58 (and always have been since) Just curious. I mean, what would be the odds!

a quick google search shows at least one. LG Optimus 3D phone, with dual core 1Ghz Omap4 and 1GB ram, looks like it will fit in your pocket too. Appears to have been released in March as Engadget had a hands on and listings of it's names at different service providers (called Thrill 4G for AT&T)

Oops. The LG website still says it's "coming soon."

I received my unit (no premium, no one nubber) last week.

what was your position at the queue please?

It has been repeatedly stated in the Pandorapress comments section if not this forum that the queue position numbers are inaccurate.

better still - what date did you order.

That's more like it, plus a time of order in GMT.

Yep ! OMAP4 .. OMAP5 ... promising stuff.

But in the meantimes, let make a call to all folks that should have received a shipping notification this week (non premium).

Lads, it would be nice, if you could keep continuing posting as May88 and more people suggested,

The day + hour + time diff or day + gmt hour of the original order so we can all evaluate the progresses.

As well just remember that you have this thread

Updates on this are welcome :)

Hopefully we got some fresh updates and numbers by ED and/or Craig :) soon.

Regards

-- PandoraLover --

Well,

I don't think that any order number or date will provide enough information for an educated guess but what the heck, here goes:

My order number was 2769 at ED's shop and my order date was Wednesday, October 1st, 2008

Concerning the pandora itself: i don't consider it outdated in any way.

The gaming controls are in one word great, it suits my emulation needs very well,

The keyboard takes a little bit of getting used to but is much better than expected.

Touchscreen works just fine. battery life is also great. wifi and bluetooth work like a charm

True, there are devices which, on paper, have better specs but having tried several emulators and games on one of these i must say pandora wins easily due to the controls, display and battery life.

Plus... and this is the best part: it's fully open, no restrictions.

Best piece of vaporware i ever had. (sorry, couldn't resist :))

Last edited by a moderator:

Are the newer OMAP's backwards compatible? Assuming the next Pandora sticks with this family of products, would it be safe to say that it'll run software for the original Pandora, or would everything have to be recompiled?

Are the newer OMAP's backwards compatible? Assuming the next Pandora sticks with this family of products, would it be safe to say that it'll run software for the original Pandora, or would everything have to be recompiled?

It would probably have to be recompiled to take advantage of any new hardware, but it's not a big job in comparison to starting again from scratch.

I'd also argue that the problem you're trying to solve is "browse the web" for which Firefox is the sledgehammer to the nail. :p Personally I use Midori.
I do use Midori, but it has limited CSS support and renders some sites poorly. So sometimes I need a full-featured browser.
You're using the Midori on the NAND, I presume? Note how "Midori" is underlined in my post? That means it is a link. Follow it. ;)

0.3.3 passes ACID3 100%, no sites have had any problems rendering for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back