More Sd Card Troubles

Nmn

Still Fresh
yes yes yes... another f*cking post about transfering files.
I'm not mad about it... but i would think the problems would be resolved by now...

I've heard of several reasons for problems...

First, my gp2x was not reconized....
So, i disabled my host controller becuase i think it might interfere or force usb 2.0 which may be crippled on the gp2x. Worked, what luck.

Next, cannot reconize my card... So, check my disk managment and figure out i forgot to give it a drive letter.

And here i am now.. wont reconize ANY files.

PC SPECS
--
Windows XP Home edition(Using for GP2x) / React OS / Mac OSX(Long story) / Linux(strangly doesnt even see it)

Hardware may cuase conflicts... so i included my boards
Nvidia Evga Geforce 6800
Soundblaster live 24bit
Memorex Dual layer DVD recorder - highspeed (cuases IDE conflicts/ not the gp2x i dont think though)
Intel Pentium 4 3ghz processer
2 80 gig SATA harddrives (Seagate)
1 Enhanced IDE harddrive (Western Digital)

NOTE:
Built by hand w/ a fresh install of retail boxed windows... and MacOSX(emulators+reactos/linux bare bones = osx for intel 68x)
--

Ok... done with the useless crap. now, i am going to cut to a possible, but very... very... VERY low probability.

My windows disables over 8.3 chars of filename... HOWEVER... it seems to keep the file system integrity and file system structure of FAT32 intact...

Thx in advance... :)

I would
icon12.gif
to NOT have to buy a card reader. I am NOT rich despite my computer.... TRUST ME.

--
GP2X USB NOT WORKING AT ALL? MAJOR SOLUTION!
Thanks for viewing my thread, so in return, i will give you the knowledge of fixing your GP2X direct transfer problems!

WinXP:
Click start, and click control panel. When your Control Panel window appears, double click administrative tools. You will see 6 files, or 7 if hidden files are on(that file is desktop.ini)... double click computer management. Locate Device manager in the appearing left window, and click it. Wait for windows to finish listing all your devices. The last item is usually Universal Serial Bus Controllers, but it can also be VSO devices. If you do not see an indented list below Universal Serial Bus Controllers, please check your usb connection with your GP2X, ensure power is on, and that you are in the usb connection area(settins->usb). if it still does not appear, plug and play does not exist on your system. I cannot help you. sry. once the list appears, locate Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host controller or similar. Unplug your gp2x, wait 3-5 seconds(optional but your pc may restard due to rapidness) . Right click Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host controller or similar listed item in device manager and press disable. wait another 3-5 optional seconds and reconnect your GP2x. PLEASE IGNORE ANYTHING WINDOWS MAY COMPLAIN ABOUT!!! if you get notices in the bottom of your screen, press there yes! if your computer restarts, redo the process, except dont plug in your gp2x until the Enhanced PCI to USB Host controller or similar is disabled. If you need that indented list, double click Univeral serial bus controllers and it will appear.

Win98 or Perminant WinXP solution:
Sorry, too dangerous to do in windows.. Press F2 or Delete while your pc is at its very first bootup screen (where it says intel, or amd, or it plainly has text all over, or combinations) and look threw the menu with arrow keys and the enter key. You should find something to do with USB 2.0 or Enhanced USB... Or lagacy USB... If it has to do with Lagacy usb support, try switching it, but its chances of working are slighly lower if its already enabled. If it has to do with USB 2.0 being on, disable it or swap it. if its disabled already, chances are slighly lower of this to work. If it has to do with enhacned usb support, preferably disable it, or switch it around.

If this doesnt work, windows may be installed wrong. When in winxp setup, you can press enter at the startup, F8 at the license screen, and press the repair key(shows at bottom of screen, different on some rare versions) on the windows copy currently malfunctioning. keeps all your data. In windows 98, just install windows all over, but keep the format intact. if done correctly, you will still have your data and programs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, formatting the SD card with a card reader was the only way I could get the 2X to recognize the files I had put on it. Something goes wrong in the translation when it's formatted through the unit. When I put files on my 2X formatted card they showed up with weird file names like "j0_j.j", and only if there was more than 50 MB on the card. Less than that and nothing would show up at all.

I know it's stupid and I was pretty damn pissed off at the prospect of having to spend MORE money to get it working properly but I went out and got a reader and it's worked fine since. That doesn't excuse GPH, they need to work on making the USB interface work properly.

good thing this thing is open sourced.. i KNOW how to fix this problem.

Its very tough to find a image editor that will make removabe storage images, but i got it to work using winimage pro and its virtual disk. I tried copying the partitons over, but my partition manager, Paragon(legal registered) partition manager 6 refused to reconize the virtual one(becuase it had a storage device header...) otherwise, if i can make a system sort of like that by stealing some peoples hard drive managment libraries, it may be possible to fix the problem.

... I did get off my ass and buy a card reader. Didnt say i needed that on the site. but i guess if i ran linux, a good build, it might work anyway. after all, windows reconizes it as a linux file-stor device.

Back