Pandora Motion Detector Add On For The Pandora

TheMagnitude

Still Fresh
I think this would be really cool as an add on because it would open up so many doors for developers, for example I would really like to make a 3D labyrinth/marble game where you tilt the pandora too change the direction of the force of gravity.

Anyone else think a motion detector add on would be cool?

we are I might definatly going try to build this in (what I am calling) the Pandora 2
so stay tuned

- Edits by mod to prevent any possible confusion :)

Crasherball said:
we are definatly going to build this in the Pandora 2
so stay tuned
What do you mean "Pandora 2"? Is that the next Pandora model after the MK1?

Last edited by a moderator:
Crasherball said:
we are definatly going to build this in the Pandora 2
so stay tuned
Are you honestly planning on making the successor yourself?

As of right now, their will be no accelerometer inside Pandora and their most likly never *officially* will be. Although it wouldn't be _too_ far fetched to asume sooner or later someone will mod one to have an accelerometer. Their also might already by USB accelerometers (I'm unaware if their is or isn't) and if they have drivers for Linux then it could be an option as well.

Please do not speak out of your ass and tell people new features that will be in "Pandora 2" as if is has been confirmed. Their really are no confirmed plans for a "Pandora 2" because everyones working hard to get Pandora 1 out first :p

it actually was a homage to this bright guys
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=42850

OK good.
That would just be stupid.

Somebody should photoshop a render of the Pandora with all the stupid crap people want put on it.
Make sure it's complete with 8 face buttons, quad triggers, a ten inch screen, and an accelerometer. Oh, and who could forget, a mobile phone.

Crasherball said:
it actually was a homage to this bright guys
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=42850

When I said "add on" in the topic title i meant "add on", like a usb one, I already know that the hardware design for the MK1 has been complete, so it seems that you tripped and should of read my post properly before straight away assuming that I wanted some sort of hardware change.

EDIT: This USB accelerometer looks quite good but is much to costly.

I think that one of the Pandora add ons should be a cheap but good version of this, that is made by Craig and his team, and can be bought from the Pandora website perhaps.

Find somebody to write a driver for that one. It'd be a lot easier (and cheaper) than having one made specifically for the Pandora.

The cheapest solution would be to wait until someone makes a bluetooth driver for the wiimote (And I'm pretty certain someone will) and just tape/velcro it to the bottom of the Pandora.

You could simply add two Infered lights to your gp2x + a wiimote driver and you could probably do it that way. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw ) <Not this exact program just the concept of detection>

-Spadoof :gp2x

You soon will be mine :pandora1:

Spadoof said:
You could simply add two Infered lights to your gp2x + a wiimote driver and you could probably do it that way.
TheMagnitude was interested in accelerometers. The IR emitters and sensorbar aren't needed for that. But, the wiimote also has a 3-way accelerometer built in, which is a fair sight cheaper than the one he found.

This ones only 2 axis but it's less then half the cost (75$). If someone was to make an rfid reader/cloner app using the 65$ rfid interface this could be the number one tool for credit card thieves....

If something like thats possible, what about these? There are 2d and 3d versions starting at £15. But the 3d version is getting close to the wiimote price, so presumably that would still be better?

TaG said:
If something like thats possible, what about these? There are 2d and 3d versions starting at £15. But the 3d version is getting close to the wiimote price, so presumably that would still be better?

On second thoughts we could just use the Wiimote, I have seen a game use a Wiimote before at Warwick University and it worked really well with the motion sensor.

But I also think that OpenPandora should make their own "add on" for the pandora as an accelerometer, that way when programming a motion sensitive game developers would only have to program in accordance with the "add on accelerometer" and would not have to worry about different accelerometers and wiimotes etc.

TheMagnitude said:
TaG said:

On second thoughts we could just use the Wiimote, I have seen a game use a Wiimote before at Warwick University and it worked really well with the motion sensor.

But I also think that OpenPandora should make their own "add on" for the pandora as an accelerometer, that way when programming a motion sensitive game developers would only have to program in accordance with the "add on accelerometer" and would not have to worry about different accelerometers and wiimotes etc.

Given that I doubt they could retail one for less than the Wiimote, if the community accepted the Wiimote as 'standard' then they are readily available, easily replaceable and then you get the standard you desire for developers. If the developers could reasonably make one better, smaller or cheaper then I'm all for it - I'm just not convinced it can be done.

mindlord said:
The cheapest solution would be to wait until someone makes a bluetooth driver for the wiimote (And I'm pretty certain someone will) and just tape/velcro it to the bottom of the Pandora.

There is already a Wiimote driver for linux and it works pretty well. I'm doing some tests with Irrlicht3D and a Wiimote in my laptop and I will probably port some mini-game to Pandora.

http://libwiimote.sourceforge.net/

mindlord said:
I am all for just accepting the wiimote. (Since I already have a bunch)

I don't have a Wii, but I bought Wiimote + Nunchunk because I wanted to make some mini-game for PC / Pandora with them. If everybody agree (and I think it would be a great idea), Wiimote should be considered as a "standard controller" by Pandora developers.

EDIT:
With Wiimote support + TV out, we could do very interesting games, with a gameplay similar to Wii's official games.

Back