Motion Sickness While Playing Fps's?

daclassicgamingmaster

It Is Your Birthday.
Website
krispf3.blogspot.com
I enjoy the occasional FPS, but I need to stop after 40 minutes to an hour. I start to get motion sickness!

I know this isn't exactly rare among gamers..So who else here gets sick while playing games such as FEAR, CoD, and Half Life?? Any ways to alleviate the lousy feeling?

Nope, never have felt sick from any FPS. Even though I get motion sickness from many other things.

Have you tried going looking out the window or getting some fresh air? Maybe a sip of tea can do the trick... tea works on everything. Everything.

But no, this has never happened to me. Maybe a little bloodlust every now and then from blowing off your opponent's head but...never motion sickness.

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoy the occasional FPS, but I need to stop after 40 minutes to an hour. I start to get motion sickness!
Your just a wuss. Very few get motionsick without really moving.

However there is a cure for that. Just have some fishermen on a small boat take you with them for a month or so, and you won´t have any problems anymore. It´ll be the worst month of your life, but no pain, no gain, eh?

I myself am not completely immune to motionsickness, but i can read or play a game in a moving car too. I have had a unpleasant experience on the ocean though, but it wasn´t that bad, judging from the look on the faces of the others i was still lucky.

If I play in a car or bus I'll get motion sickness... I have to be looking out the window.
(Your brain needs the horizon information from your eyes to confirm what your ears(balance) are telling it. If these two pieces of information conflict then you get confused and feel sick.)
I can play games indefinately apart from that.
I can say you are not alone though. My friend from school/college... he used to get motion sickness from FPSs ... he was also colour blind...

:blink: !!!!

I've heard this story many times for others! I'm not alone, I swear!

This is actually a known problem for some people. I remember a friend of mine actually throwing up after playing the original Doom solidly for two hours.

Apparently we have little granules in our inner ear that detect motion, and this motion usually correlates with the visual motion our eyes see. For some people if the two do not match up, then they get motion sickness. This also explains motion sickness in cars!

Heres a little tip to try and stop you getting motion sickness in FPS

When you move left or right do the same with your head but only slightly. Do the same for all other mouse movements. This can help to fool your brain into thinking you are moving.

Some people do this automatically, a prime example is physically leaning over when going round a corner in a driving/flying game.

Also in a FPS try messing with your FoV (Field of View), this can help too.

When you move left or right do the same with your head but only slightly. Do the same for all other mouse movements. This can help to fool your brain into thinking you are moving.

Some people do this automatically, a prime example is physically leaning over when going round a corner in a driving/flying game.
Hey I just realised, I do this when playing FPS games. I even try and look over a ledge or over objects only to realise how daft that is :D

I wonder if this is why I don't get sick?

:blink: !!!!

I've heard this story many times for others! I'm not alone, I swear!

This is actually a known problem for some people. I remember a friend of mine actually throwing up after playing the original Doom solidly for two hours.

Apparently we have little granules in our inner ear that detect motion, and this motion usually correlates with the visual motion our eyes see. For some people if the two do not match up, then they get motion sickness. This also explains motion sickness in cars!
*Sigh* it's hairs and fluid. Why are people so mis-informed?

Hey I just realised, I do this when playing FPS games. I even try and look over a ledge or over objects only to realise how daft that is :D

I wonder if this is why I don't get sick?

I do that too when I play FPS. I try to look around corners and stuff by moving my head way to the side. One time my roomate caught me and made fun of me for a very long time. I also tend to lean side to side when I am playing a driving game. I guess I am made for the next gen consoles with motion detection.

Back