Movies Thread

Username said:
I'm thinking about getting a ton of classic zombie movies, anyone have any suggestions?
white zombie, 'of the dead' series of course, the new dawn of the dead, evil dead series, brain dead, dead n breakfast

Klepto said:
Frogboy said:
John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness is one that a lot of people forget about.

I'm not a fan of horror in general but I really liked that movie. I managed to get into the cinema to see it when I was about 15 (it was an 18 certificate). It's one of only two movies that actually scared me, the other was Eraserhead.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered a ton of films last week from play.com just before their sale finished and they all came today. Among them was Who Framed Roger Rabbit. I saw it was only £3 and used to love watching it when I was a youngling so thought what the heck and bought it. I watched it this afternoon (whilst 'working' from home) and still :wub: it, and even went through all the extra features of the disc :p

The actual DVD has been put together pretty well with a nice menu n stuff. I was expecting it to just be some crappy static background with "Play Movie" on, like a lot of the cheaper disks.

Anyway, great film with many lolz and suitable for all ages me thinks. :p

For anyone interested, play.com are still selling it for £2.99 @ http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/112261/Who-...it/Product.html B)

Recently Watched:

The Illusionist - not bad, but not as good as
The Prestige - really enjoyed that one - didn't figure it all out till very near the end :)
Journey to Centre of the Earth - amusing, but forgettable.
I Know Who Killed Me - rubbish
Cloverfield - not bad
National Treasure 2 - ok, 1 was better
The Game - great film, everyone should watch this :)
No Way Out - early Costner film - good film.
The Cube - couldn't see what the fuss was about :(
Disturbia - pretty good
Deja Vu - good

Have left to see:

Pirates 3
V for Vendetta
Matrix 3 - never seen - gave up after Matrix 2..

I now see that I like either time travel films and/or films with twists in the plot :)

EDIT: I should also recommend Groundhog Day...

Last film I watched in the cinema was 'Scumdog Millionaire'. Very good film. I recommend it to everyone. :)

pandora said:
Anyone seen Valkyrie?
I was thinking about it, but the lack of accents really turned me off. In all honesty, this should have been a foreign film with subtitles. But god forbid the western audience should deal with that. Gasp!

I'd also considered going to see it, but the inclusion of Tom Cruise has put me off it. I don't think I'll ever actually be able to see a movie with him in it again. I saw him on some program last week and after I finally stopped giggling to myself when he came on I started paying semiattention and he's even weirder than I thought and I just can't take him seriously.

Just watched Elektra. BORING! There wasn't even much perving in it. The poster was the best thing about it.

Gran Torino - not worth it if you don't want to see a grumpy old racist white man with a predictable story
I want to see Taken. Anyone seen it yet?

Gran Torino was terrible. Poor Clint probably has a sore back carrying that whole movie. The asian kids acting was absolutely woeful.

I saw a movie recently called Outlander about an alien crash landing in the past in viking country. Was quite good for a low budget movie.

The Wrestler, the final movie I've been dying to see this year.

I fucking loved it.

Here are my predictions for major awards:

Best Pic: Slumdog Millionaire

Best Actor: Mickey Rourke, The Wrestler

Best Actress: Kate Winslet, The Reader

Best Supporting actor: Hopefully no pity award for Heath. Please God, no pity award for Heath. They'll probably give Heath a pity award :(

Best Supporting Actress: Amy Adams, Doubt

Best director: Danny Boyle, Slumdog Millionaire

Interesting to see if I'm 100% on the ball.

daclassicgamingmaster said:
Here are my predictions for major awards:

Best Pic: Slumdog Millionaire

Best Actor: Mickey Rourke, The Wrestler

Best Actress: Kate Winslet, The Reader

Best Supporting actor: Hopefully no pity award for Heath. Please God, no pity award for Heath. They'll probably give Heath a pity award :(

Best Supporting Actress: Amy Adams, Doubt

Best director: Danny Boyle, Slumdog Millionaire

Interesting to see if I'm 100% on the ball.

Quick, what are tomorrow's lotto numbers?

A couple of nights ago I watched a film called Lost, from 2004. It's an indie film, directed by some guy that only ever did this one film and some TV pilot episode for something. The main character (and pretty much only) character in it is played by the guy that was Superman in the Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman TV program (loved that program. much perving in it :p). Whilst the film wasn't amazing, it did keep me watching and there were quite a few twists in it. Worth watching, but not worth paying for...

I also finished watching season 3 of Dexter this week! Awesome series, as always and I already can't wait for season 4! I just wish it had full seasons, rather than just the 12 episodes.

Anyways, just had another stack of DVDs delivered that I need to get through (along with a ton I bought last month :/), along with the Watchman graphic novel that I want to get read before I go to see the movie!!

'Javacat' said:
along with the Watchman graphic novel that I want to get read before I go to see the movie!!
ahaha me too. i hide every time i see a trailer so that the comic isnt spoiled for me

Watching In Bruges again and loling again. I :wub: this film and I think it's probably one of my all time favourites.

Back