Multi-window support coming to some Android tablets with Rockchip CPUs

Gotta love how smartphones and tabs threw out 20 years of computing history; it annoys me when 'multi window' comes up as some sort of big huzzah feature . that the C64 had with GEOS, you know?

It annoys me more than phones and tabs are generally built as single-user devices; like.. its not hard to make a device (especially one with a linux kernel) multi-user, but they totally blew that ship out of the water; getting android multi-user _now_ is hard, due to the all the baggage they've built against it. But day one.. throw away several critical features, that every other platform has...

*aaargh*

jeff

I already have MultiWindow on my phone :) but this Rockchip version seems a lot better. I wish it was based on something more standard, tho. Like X Window System or the like

hmh multi window is a software matter and they don't go in detail about "hardware support". Maybe the hardware support is more dynamic processing power. For me even 10inch is too small - so I don't care

no multi-window support is a design decision. Probably saves a lot of memory. Carbage Collection needs a freakin lot of unused space to perform well. Thanks to Java, JavaScript and such. No surprise bleeding edge smartphones and tablets got 2GB, which is insane when you think about it xD 

Gotta love how smartphones and tabs threw out 20 years of computing history; it annoys me when 'multi window' comes up as some sort of big huzzah feature . that the C64 had with GEOS, you know?

It annoys me more than phones and tabs are generally built as single-user devices; like.. its not hard to make a device (especially one with a linux kernel) multi-user, but they totally blew that ship out of the water; getting android multi-user _now_ is hard, due to the all the baggage they've built against it. But day one.. throw away several critical features, that every other platform has...

*aaargh*

jeff
You're so right.

And it's fun how people don't see this.

Some guy: "Look, my Phone now supports Multitasking"

Me: "Look, my 6 Year old Pandroa supports it, too"

My 25 years old Amiga 500 can do multi-tasking AND multi-windows -_-

Last edited by a moderator:
itsawheel.png

Multi tasking and multi window support was possible with the first Android out there.

How to:

1: Multiple Phones (get as much phones as you want windows at the same time)

2: Glue, tape or whatever

-> Put the phones in a row and fix it.

There you go. Multi window on an Android device.

As an extra you'll get a bigger screen wit a high resolution.

(Size and resolution depending on the amount of windows you want to use)

What's so new about that?

*aaargh*

jeff
Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2 at least already has multiuser support.

Not a huge fan of the 4 finger gesture, but if could absolutely be changed to have an action bar (like GNU/Linux, Mac OS, and Windows)

Back