[Multichoice poll] What colour should the Pyra's case be?

Which hues whould you be happy with?

• No hue (black/grey/white)

Votes: 180 78.3%
  • Red

Votes: 76 33.0%
  • Orange

Votes: 26 11.3%
  • Yellow

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Spring green

Votes: 24 10.4%
  • Green

Votes: 25 10.9%
  • Sea green

Votes: 28 12.2%
  • Cyan (sky blue)

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • Pandora blue

Votes: 37 16.1%
  • Blue (Deep blue)

Votes: 77 33.5%
  • Purple

Votes: 43 18.7%
  • Magenta

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • Pinkish red

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Octarine

Votes: 29 12.6%

• Total voters

They could implement it as that type of paint that looks one colour at one angle and a different colour at another angle.

I voted for everything because color doesn't matter to me, except for the finish (matte is best.) 

-Glyph Reader

Well what IS Octarine? I've never heard of it and every time i see it I think of Legend Of Zelda. >_>

Well what IS Octarine?
It's the colour of magic from the Discworld series, the "eight colour of the rainbow". It's a particular "hue" that only wizards or otherwise magically inclined folk can see when in the presence of magic.

Well what IS Octarine?
It's the colour of magic from the Discworld series, the "eight colour of the rainbow". It's a particular "hue" that only wizards or otherwise magically inclined folk can see when in the presence of magic.
;)

From personal experience it's something like a simultaneous electric purple / blue / pink that infuses / amplifies all other colours, that when you notice it, you wonder how you ever didn't see it... as it's such a pervasive dynamic colour, it makes 'ordinary' colours seem superficial and even false by comparison.

To put it in context: colours as defined by humans sight are static, 'surface' descriptions of reality.

Octarine, if we're talking about the same thing here, is anything but static.

Imagine the colour of the 'between space' - that is octarine. Like the glue between defined perception, it is that unquantifiable state out of which difined reality manifests.

=~. O =

Octarine, if we're talking about the same thing here, is anything but static
No, Pratchet is pretty clear about it, it's a wholly unique colour that normal people just can't see. It'd be like describing green to someone red-green colourblind.
From personal experience
It's fictional, you can't have personal experience with it.

Yeah, Octarine definitely isn't "purple / blue / pink", it has nothing in common with those colors, it's another one. Maybe like if we could see UV/IR. Or if we had another kind of receptor in the eyes for another kind of wave/radiation.

I voted for it. :)

It can be black and octarine at the same time, the octarine is just only preceived by the magically gifted people, for everyone else it's black.

Edit:

From personal experience
It's fictional, you can't have personal experience with it.
I have the impression FaeMinx has had enough of certain substances that in fact he can. :-D

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, it probably isn't octarine (or maybe it is), but have none of you experienced what I'm talking about? - that everpresent undescribably colour you perceive after ingesting a large quantity of magic mushrooms, ... or lsd....?? The curious thing is that once you notice it, you realize you've been seeing it all along, but have just been filtering it out...

P.s. I haven't had either of these substances for many a year... but I can still percieve this 'exotic colour' if I go into a meditative state with my eyes open and the lights off. It's not alien... this colour and it's permutations were common even when I lay awake at night as a kid. Don't any of you relate to what I'm talking about?

=~. O =

Red and strangely yellow, even orange, appeal to me as potential colours for the pyra.

Perhaps bright colours could emphasize the fun aspect of the pyra.

Okay, it probably isn't octarine (or maybe it is), but have none of you experienced what I'm talking about? - that everpresent undescribably colour you perceive after ingesting a large quantity of magic mushrooms, ... or lsd....?? The curious thing is that once you notice it, you realize you've been seeing it all along, but have just been filtering it out...

P.s. I haven't had either of these substances for many a year... but I can still percieve this 'exotic colour' if I go into a meditative state with my eyes open and the lights off. It's not alien... this colour and it's permutations were common even when I lay awake at night as a kid. Don't any of you relate to what I'm talking about?

=~. O =
There is something which I take to be a kind of image noise. More visible when it's completely dark and/or when my vision is failing (it does sometimes for whatever/different reasons {I guess: low blood pressure, not enough eaten, not enough drunk, too hot}. Yesterday I had it pretty badly, first I started to feel a little bad, I had just rode my bike for 15km in the heat, felt thirst though I had just drunk half a litre. Then I needed to sit, my vision started to darken and contain more image noise, I felt a kind of pressure on my ears and stuff sounded a little less loud and not exactly like it should. A few minutes later I was perfectly fine again, no thirst anymore, I guess the water I had previously drunk had arrived where it was needed. Came and went gradually, over the course of those few minutes).That noise varies color quite a lot, "purple / blue / pink" sounds about right. Pretty dark.

But it doesn't enhance other colors, it blocks them, it's there instead of them, not with them. It forms lots of little dots with different forms; round, slightly blurry edges.

Now that you make me think about it, there also other imperfections of my sight, some of which could match what you are describing.

There is another kind of thing where there are bigger areas (of various forms; fading off at the borders) with a slightly wrong hue (in similar colors), they can be just random, but tend to form more around real things. For example when I blankly stare at this screens, it forms a kind of halo around the post buttom. When I look the right way that stuff goes away, I guess my brain does some post-editing to get rid of it (maybe it's artifacts of it's image processing in the first place, maybe problems with the {calibration of?} light sensing cells in the eyes, maybe something else).

And a little bit of image noise of various colors (all of them, I would say) is just always visible, my brain usually ignores it so good I don't see it anymore, but when I try to it becomes visible.

I guess most of that stuff should be documented somewhere, have you looked it up, FaeMinx, to try and find whether other people see that kind of stuff too?

The trouble with colours is they pretty much all tend to be marmite - in that a few people will love it, but most people will be turned off by the colour. Whereas almost everyone is okay with neutral colours, even if nobody's a massive fan. Personally, I think I'd like a decent gun-metal grey, darker than the current silver, but not quite black.

Night vision in a lot of animal eyes (including human) uses a purple tinged chemical, that's possibly one reason why poets and the like often talk about night time imagery using purple. When you see at night or go from dark to light or have pressure on your eyes (rubbing or higher blood pressure after exertion etc) you might perceive this colouration.

Are you talking about 'the colour of your eyelids' - that is, the colours you see in the absence of light, usually with your eyes closed, but also if it's pitch dark with them open. I perceive it as a flickery purple and black fringes that either pulse out from a point near but off from my center of vision or towards it. I've always understood it to be what your optical neurons tend to do when there's an absence of input, and basically amplify internal noise, and it's particularly flickery and difficult to identify because both eyes are firing independently at the same time.

I've never seen it when I can see actual stuff, but perhaps it's there all the time, just drowned out by the light. A bit like floaters, which I understand are there all the time, but I only notice them consciously when looking at the sky in the morning, because normally the brain actively works to filter them out.

I voted for it. :)It can be black and octarine at the same time, the octarine is just only preceived by the magically gifted people, for everyone else it's black.
Now we just need to ensure the case maker can get it right. ;)

Night vision in a lot of animal eyes (including human) uses a purple tinged chemical, that's possibly one reason why poets and the like often talk about night time imagery using purple. When you see at night or go from dark to light or have pressure on your eyes (rubbing or higher blood pressure after exertion etc) you might perceive this colouration.
In dimly lit areas I tend to see everything as an almost bluish grey (and black)... If it were purple for me it might be interesting, as I spent years working nights at places that had light restrictions at night, which made it hard to navigate at times ("is that thing 2 feet away, or 20?") and at least I would have seen it all in a nice color.

When I go from dark to light I see BRIGHT-OUCH-PAIN-WHITE then normal after my eyes adjust. 

Well it's nice to get some confirmation and additional views as to what it is I'm seeing.

It could be related to image noise - I see that too. That's very easy to notice. In fact if I examine the noise I see that I actually don't see flat colour at all - everthing is comprised of this buzzing multi-hued ocean of little dots (but not dots) that have no depth when you try to focus on them.

I can't see anything at the moment, but there have been times that definite forms have taken shape and moved around that are unrelated to what is visually 'solid'.

Almost like being aware of something in the water with you, not by seeing the object itself, but by the distortions it creates in the water.

The 'colour' I was actually initially describing isn't seperate from the 'noise' - because everything is the noise, but rather seems to be an amplification... I would no longer use 'dots' to describe it, it is more like swirling currents (also depthless) that can appear randomly or even infuse an object, especially if it's 'alive'.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with auras because the way auras have been described, it doesn't seem the same thing.

It is most definitely predominantly an electric purple kind of colour, but that's hard to say... when trying to focus on it it can seem to be all colours, even green at the same time as being purple.

My most vivid experience was when I was a very young kid, and a bunch of other kids and I, along with my mother were on our way to the USA as part of the UN children's day my mother was involved with... but we were currently in Brussels staying with a friend of my mother's.

Everyone was in bed, all the lights were off.

And I don't know what compelled me to do this, but I got out of bed and climbed into a small cupboard, closing the door behind me.

It was inky black. Not the tiniest trace of light was visible.

The noise was very noteable, and as I tried to focus on it, the colours grew more intense... untill these bright waves of purple washed across my vision, swirling, changing, flooding my vision with green, then back to purple.

Everytime I tried to focus, the swirls of purple or green would shift out of my point of focus, to bloom and come rushing back in.

After some time I stopped trying to apply depth, and softened my gaze to take in everything instead of trying to focus on any part.

Now it got really interesting. The oscillating purple/green started expressing more colours and then even recognisable shapes...

... eventually I was seeing all sorts of things, but all I can definitely remember now is a multitude of faces, people smiling, talking to each other without any sound, as they blended and flowed into each other.

I sat in that cupboard for what seemed like a couple of hours...

=~. O =

It also has to be a colour which is Business setting appropriate.. Which is why more neutral colours should be used.

But I would sure love a super dark nearly blackish blue, or maybe deep red?

Back