Beta Mupen64Plus

The savestates still don't work in this release either :-(

has anybody figured out a way to tweak it so that they do work?
or have the devs given up on savestates?

marshal said:
The new texture CRC check however (gles2n64 0.0.4f) doesn't play well with Mario Kart. It simply doesn't display... textures !

Yep - btw Diddy Kong Racing was also affected.
I already fixed this bug. Mario Kart & DKR also now runs smoother now.
Will update the version soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ozzy - the only change this version did was in the gles2n64 graphics plugin. Savestates are a feature of Mupen, not gles2n64 however.

Are savestates supposed to work? Do they work for anyone else? I get the feeling that the problem is in the input plugin rather than the emulator itself - none of the keyboard hotkeys work for the ppsp2 plugin, and none of the other input plugins work at all for me.

bzfrank said:
Just for the record, the version now in the file archives (it shows the real Mupen Icon with a tiny green dot in it) has three different graphic plugins to select. You can select them in the configure dialog of Mupen, use Shift+Click on the Window frame to move the dialog so the 'apply' and 'ok' button comes in view as it is too large for the Pandora screen.

Can You help window is stuck in middle of screen cant click top or bottom of it(with stylus)and pressing shift.

Am I doing somethink wrong?

Thank you

bzfrank said:
marshal said:
The new texture CRC check however (gles2n64 0.0.4f) doesn't play well with Mario Kart. It simply doesn't display... textures !

Yep - btw Diddy Kong Racing was also affected.
I already fixed this bug. Mario Kart & DKR also now runs smoother now.
Will update the version soon.

You're amazing, thanks so much!

RenegadeChic said:
i completed the deku tree and was watching the cutscene about the goddesses and the triforce and it completely froze my pandora some way through. needed to hard rest. so close! might increase the frameskip

I just finished playing through the Deku tree and it didn't freeze up during the cutscene. I'm now running around the Kokiri forest accosting shrubberies. Not sure why yours is freezing. Maybe try a different rom?

BTW, I'm running HF4 and set my max CPU speed to 800.

Also, OMFG. This thing is totally playable. Animations and controls are smooth, sound is smooth, the whole thing is a class act. Cutscenes are a bit rough, and occasionally text boxes will take forever to get through, but gameplay is spot-on. Thanks to everyone who worked on this!

Edit: One question (and forgive me if it's answered somewhere in the previous 40 pages of thread), when I launch the EMU, I immediately lose nub control of my mouse. I kind of get why that could happen, and I can launch a game with alt-f, but is anyone else seeing the same behavior? If so, is there any way to fix it?

_Sterling said:
Edit: One question (and forgive me if it's answered somewhere in the previous 40 pages of thread), when I launch the EMU, I immediately lose nub control of my mouse. I kind of get why that could happen, and I can launch a game with alt-f, but is anyone else seeing the same behavior? If so, is there any way to fix it?
It's a known issue...
Basically the nubs get switched to joystick mode when you launch mupen64.
It would be nice if this could be fixed so that joystick mode is switched when a ROM is run...but it obviously needs someone to look into the input plugin source.

Just uploaded 'Mupen64plus fixed for LOZ:OOT V2' (Version 2) to the file archive.

Changes are:

- New plugin is now default, if you want to change back to the old one select "0.0.5" from the plugin popup.
- Changed texture cache management to use hash tables. This gave another speedup.
- Added some more Blend modes (from the Rice plugin)
- (regression fix) Fixed issue with MarioKart64 and Diddy Kong Racing

Let me hear any issues.

Thanks a lot :)
MarioKart works nice now. Is there really a difference between rendering to 800x480 and 400x240 speedwise? The former one looks much nicer and to me it seems, there isn't speed difference noticable.
Just wanted to add that RoadRash doesn't display the upper third of the display correctly, there is just sky shown, no road like it should be.

PokeParadox said:
It's a known issue...
Basically the nubs get switched to joystick mode when you launch mupen64.
It would be nice if this could be fixed so that joystick mode is switched when a ROM is run...but it obviously needs someone to look into the input plugin source.

Thanks. I kind of figured that's what it was. I keep forgetting this thing has a touchscreen, but I just checked and it still works when in the GUI.

Schnatterplatsch said:
Just wanted to add that RoadRash doesn't display the upper third of the display correctly, there is just sky shown, no road like it should be.
I had this issue in RoadRash with earlier versions (going back a couple of months). But it works perfectly for me now. I haven't tried this second release from bzfrank though.

Had a half-arsed try at making the right nub the main analogue controller on my break - here's the config file:

#PPSP Input Plugin for N64
#by JayFoxRox and Adventus.
#These values specify the analog mapping:
N64 ANALOG=ANALOG RIGHT
#These values specify the button mapping:
N64 DPAD UP=BUTTON UP
N64 DPAD DOWN=BUTTON DOWN
N64 DPAD LEFT=BUTTON LEFT
N64 DPAD RIGHT=BUTTON RIGHT
N64 A=BUTTON DPAD RIGHT
N64 B=BUTTON DPAD DOWN
N64 L=KBOARD P
N64 R=BUTTON R
N64 Z=BUTTON L
N64 C UP=ANALOG LEFT UP : 64
N64 C DOWN=ANALOG LEFT DOWN : 64
N64 C LEFT=ANALOG LEFT LEFT : 64
N64 C RIGHT=ANALOG LEFT RIGHT : 64
N64 START=BUTTON START
EXIT EMULATOR=KEYBOARD X
#These values specify the analog calibration function
#in = [0,255], out = [0, 255]
#out = in*v[0] + in^2 * v[1] + in^3 * v[2] ....
CALIB LEFT[0]=0.500000
CALIB LEFT[1]=0.500000
CALIB LEFT[2]=0.200000
CALIB LEFT[3]=0.200000
CALIB RIGHT[0]=0.500000
CALIB RIGHT[1]=0.500000
CALIB RIGHT[2]=0.200000
CALIB RIGHT[3]=0.200000

Basically just changed the references from left analog to right. Didn't work :(

My left nub is broken and, while it needs returning I'd like to to play some N64 in the meantime.

Any ideas anyone?

Hmm, I'd say it's failing because of the way Mupen changes (hijacks) the right nub mode on startup. I don't know if much can be done about that.

Maybe experiment with the Pandora's nub settings before launching. I don't think it'll help, but it's worth playing with.

Cheers G :)

Kinda thought that as changing the right nub to mouse mode means the mouse cursor gets displayed when you actually use the right nub.

Ach well... I need to return it then...

The next thing would be the version management. As far as I see, there are already 3 versions of Mupen in the archive now. New users will most probably download the one that is listed in the "Most Downloads" section which is outdated. Is there a reason for having multiple versions available?

Schnatterplatsch said:
The next thing would be the version management. As far as I see, there are already 3 versions of Mupen in the archive now. New users will most probably download the one that is listed in the "Most Downloads" section which is outdated. Is there a reason for having multiple versions available?

Yes. I was unable just to update the first version. The web interface of the file archive didn't let me. ;)

Maybe it would be a good idea just to create a 'beta' section, where updates can be made easily and often - aside from a 'Stable' section for milestone releases.

_Sterling said:
RenegadeChic said:
i completed the deku tree and was watching the cutscene about the goddesses and the triforce and it completely froze my pandora some way through. needed to hard rest. so close! might increase the frameskip

I just finished playing through the Deku tree and it didn't freeze up during the cutscene. I'm now running around the Kokiri forest accosting shrubberies. Not sure why yours is freezing. Maybe try a different rom?

BTW, I'm running HF4 and set my max CPU speed to 800.

damn, i just played the whole thing again with a US rom and froze up in exactly the same place. very strange. i am on HF5 with CPU at 800

RenegadeChic said:
bzfrank said:
RenegadeChic said:
EDIT 2 - tried at frameskip 3 but still crashed at the same spot. any advice anyone?

Can you check with different graphic plugins to rule out its related to the optimization?

okay, i have tried a number of permutations for this now.

gles2n64 0.0.4, gles2n64 0.0.5, 800MHz, 750MHz, frameskip on 2, 3, 4, etc on both of those plugins and performance-wise any slowdowns and stuttering happen at exactly the same points and the same amount. the point where the pandora locks up is *exactly* the same point

for those who dont want any zelda spoilers for some reason this is the point:

you see farore, din and nayru creating hyrule after coming down from the sky and then when they are finished they ascend with a triforce being created at the point where they reach the sky. the triforce spins in the air and it locks during the spin at exactly the same position

it may make some difference, but i am using what looks like the european ROM of ocarina of time.

---------------------------------------------------------

on a slightly unrelated note, how easy would it be to remap the C controls to keypad buttons? the reason i ask is that it is hard to be as desirably precise when using accessories. every time i try to use the slingshot i end up throwing down a few deku nuts as well or pulling out a deku stick. it ends up being a waste. using some keypad buttons immediately below the right nub could give a good alternative, at least for zelda games and in many ways would fit in with the N64 mapping better anyway as they were buttons rather than joysticks. alternatively used the abxy for C buttons and keypad buttons for your conventional A and B buttons on the N64, though this may be less ideal as you want to be able to mash them plenty, with some feedback which you might not get from a keypad button

It froze for me as well, at what seems to be the exact same location as it did on yours: it freezes as it's focused in on the triforce spinning.
I am using the NTSC-U version of Ocarina of Time at 850mhz Frameskip 2 on hotfix 5

Any luck in figuring it out?

Back