Beta Mupen64Plus

Adventus said:
Hey guys, sorry for the extended hiatus. I had decided to focus on other things until my retail pandora arrived with working nubs however thats taking a bit longer than i expected....

@bzfrank Please provide me with the source to your changes so i can add them to the SVN. I can also give you write access if you would like. Once i merge the changes I will make a new release which has per game configuration.

I don't think faster CRC is a major issue, however a much better optimisation is to not do a full CRC of the texture. In my working copy i only do 8 rows of the texture and I haven't seen it fail.

Glad to see you are still around. Also, I'm really glad to hear about the per game config. :) Is that for the graphics plugin only, or also for the controls? o_ô

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
Adventus said:
Hey guys, sorry for the extended hiatus. I had decided to focus on other things until my retail pandora arrived with working nubs however thats taking a bit longer than i expected....

@bzfrank Please provide me with the source to your changes so i can add them to the SVN. I can also give you write access if you would like. Once i merge the changes I will make a new release which has per game configuration.

I don't think faster CRC is a major issue, however a much better optimisation is to not do a full CRC of the texture. In my working copy i only do 8 rows of the texture and I haven't seen it fail.

@Adventus: Welcome back! I was wondering if you could comment on the Conkers BFD ucode that you added to gles2n64. Does it work? What still needs to be debugged? The reason I ask is that I'm interested in adding this ucode to glN64.

Gruso said:
Pickle and Poke, you're making my day here.
It will be a bit longer... I grabbed the source of picklelauncher and made changes to not remove characters, but...
The new picklelauncher doesn't seem to like my current profile.txt...

Alright, Adventus is back in action! Glad to see the rumors of your death where greatly misrepresented. :p

I smell some good Mupen64 improvements brewing, and boy am I HUNGRY! :lol:

Chris

PokeParadox said:
Gruso said:
It will be a bit longer... I grabbed the source of picklelauncher and made changes to not remove characters, but...

Sorry off topic, but where do you download the source for picklelauncher? I've been looking for it.

pder said:
PokeParadox said:
Gruso said:

Sorry off topic, but where do you download the source for picklelauncher? I've been looking for it.

wiki: http://pandorawiki.org/PickleLauncher
src : http://sourceforge.net/projects/picklelauncher/

Managed to make a bit of progress before heading to work... now typing this on n900...
got newest picklelauncher to same state as old... even with my code changes it doesn't like !()[] chars...

this basically has me thinking that its the scripts thats mangling the filename not pickle launcher.

Pickle: would it possible to have a field that is something like:
InitScript=mupeninit.sh

then I could put all the home dir mapping in there and have that called before running the mupen binary. Hope you get my meaning.

also anyone want to get started on a nice skin for this? it currently has the snes skin...

PokeParadox said:
Managed to make a bit of progress before heading to work... now typing this on n900...
got newest picklelauncher to same state as old... even with my code changes it doesn't like !()[] chars...

this basically has me thinking that its the scripts thats mangling the filename not pickle launcher.

Pickle: would it possible to have a field that is something like:
InitScript=mupeninit.sh

then I could put all the home dir mapping in there and have that called before running the mupen binary. Hope you get my meaning.

also anyone want to get started on a nice skin for this? it currently has the snes skin...

You could use the command to run a custom script, although I might have to think about it since even though you wouldnt need any flags I dont know if the launcher would quit without seeing one.

Ok... I managed to work around all issues!
Here is a PND for you to try!
NOTE: This curently has no multi-app to let you still access the normal Mupen64Plus GUI. Also it is using no skin!
http://projectinfinity.org.uk/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=pokeparadox:beta:mupen64.pnd

I'd like to bring forward an idea - right now there is a nice compatibilty list at

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkBB6e4g1lGtdGxzVjhfNnpiMXVfR3FoZWRndG5iQ3c&hl=en_GB#gid=0

which is good for a general overview but there exists no detailed description of glitches.

Often a problem only surfaces later in the gameplay or only effects a non essential part of the game so its ignored. I think it would be a good thing(tm) to have a more concise list of issues with mupen64+ with a detailed description what exactly is wrong and under what circumstances the problem appears.

P.S: Adventus got my changes by now.

RenegadeChic said:
bzfrank said:
I think there is a workaround for the bug.
The freeze seem not to happen when running Mupen in Windowed mode.

1. Switch GUI to XFCE4 (don't know if thats needed)
2. Start Mupen64Plus
3. Select Options -> Graphics Settings
An Editor opens

Now change:

window fullscreen=1 -> 0
window width=800 -> 600
window height=480 -> 360

4. Save and start LOZ:OOT, it run an bit slower now in its window but still playable
5. Load your last save game and boldly go and defeat that spider boss
6. The Triforce does not freeze
7. Save your game after the cutscene
8. End Mupen, change back to minimenu
9. Start Mupen again and restore your previous window settings (see 3.)
10. enjoy

Can someone please verify that procedure?

If it turns out I really believe its driver related as the only difference is windowed mode to fullscreen.
alas it still crashed for me, sadly. maybe my unit has a lower overclock. i set it to 750, just in case 800 maxed it out but it still froze up.

I can confirm that it still crashes in the same place for me as well.

Strange, does not seem to work consistently then. Does lowering clock (e.g. 600 Mhz) help?

bzfrank said:
Strange, does not seem to work consistently then. Does lowering clock (e.g. 600 Mhz) help?

I just tried it again at 600mhz and it froze again in exactly the same spot

bzfrank said:
I'd like to bring forward an idea - right now there is a nice compatibilty list at

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkBB6e4g1lGtdGxzVjhfNnpiMXVfR3FoZWRndG5iQ3c&hl=en_GB#gid=0

which is good for a general overview but there exists no detailed description of glitches.

Often a problem only surfaces later in the gameplay or only effects a non essential part of the game so its ignored. I think it would be a good thing(tm) to have a more concise list of issues with mupen64+ with a detailed description what exactly is wrong and under what circumstances the problem appears.

P.S: Adventus got my changes by now.

Well, this is a beta testing topic. Why don't we just come up with a good format for reporting glitches in this topic. Here's an example (with a real glitch that I have found. :p ):

Bomberman 64 - The Second Attack!
Version:
Bomberman 64 - The Second Attack! (U)[!]
Glitch:
Menu Screen is displayed completely black. You can still progress into the game, however you need to remember where each option in the menu is.

-God Ginrai

PokeParadox said:
Gruso said:
Welcome back Adventus. :)

PokeParadox said:
I followed up on my earlier suggestion of bundling Mupen with picklelauncher.. and made a tiny bit of progress... nothing that actually worked though... but it should be doable... I don't think I can get it working I get muddled with all the scripts...
Bless you for trying.
I also welcome you back Adventus!

And Gruso I'm doing more than try... it seems we are almost there! The filenames are getting mangled... if I rename Super Mario 64 (U) [!].z64 to mario64.z64 It works!

So I'm hoping we can get around this somehow...

Why not use Notaz's frontend instead of Picklelauncher? (the one in PicoDrive and PCSX-ReARMed) Then you could change different emulator settings in the menu, instead of just launch games.

(I might be mistaken about the capabilities of Picklelauncher, but so far I've only seen it used in emulators as a game selection menu, with no options or savestates, etc, visible)

Here's the new release: http://gles2n64.googlecode.com/files/mupen64plus-r1b5.pnd

I don't remember whats changed since last release (or BZ'z releases which are based on my own newer code). Somethings i did recently:
- added per game configuration: you can find a file "config/gles2n64rom.conf" which acts as an override for the settings in "gles2n64.conf", you should be able to figure it out... I've added some games i used for testing.
- added autoframeskip: not enabled by default. It only comes into effect when the FPS falls below the "target FPS". If its a PAL game the "target FPS" is multiplied by 5/6. You generally want to target FPS to be a few FPS below the actual FPS (ie i use 25 for 30 fps games).
- fixed zelda sun (well known problem)
- Banjo Tooie / Jet Force Gemini work (require "ignore offscreen rendering" to be enabled)
- other stuff i don't remember

Anyway there is a problem with some textures in zelda, not sure if its a combiner or texture issue. I'll look into it.

Adventus said:
Here's the new release: http://gles2n64.googlecode.com/files/mupen64plus-r1b5.pnd

I don't remember whats changed since last release (or BZ'z releases which are based on my own newer code). Somethings i did recently:
- added per game configuration: you can find a file "config/gles2n64rom.conf" which acts as an override for the settings in "gles2n64.conf", you should be able to figure it out... I've added some games i used for testing.
- added autoframeskip: not enabled by default. It only comes into effect when the FPS falls below the "target FPS". If its a PAL game the "target FPS" is multiplied by 5/6. You generally want to target FPS to be a few FPS below the actual FPS (ie i use 25 for 30 fps games).
- Banjo Tooie / Jet Force Gemini work (require "ignore offscreen rendering" to be enabled)

Anyway there is a problem with some textures in zelda, not sure if its a combiner or texture issue. I'll look into it.

hi sound not working?

edit/

doh sound was not enabled!

thanks
edit2
goldeneye seems to run much better with this version nice!

Esn said:
Why not use Notaz's frontend instead of Picklelauncher? (the one in PicoDrive and PCSX-ReARMed) Then you could change different emulator settings in the menu, instead of just launch games.

(I might be mistaken about the capabilities of Picklelauncher, but so far I've only seen it used in emulators as a game selection menu, with no options or savestates, etc, visible)
Well this is because Notaz's frontend is not a frontend, it's a part of his emulator (I believe, not actually looked at the source.), Whereas Picklelauncher is intended as a launcher for GUIless applications. It would require much more work for me to separate Notaz's GUI code from he emulator code (I find emulation code very scary to look at...) And this is simply time I do not have.
Picklelauncher took 2 evenings to get up and running and if I can remember how to make a multi-app PND I can make it so you can still run the mupen64plus GUI for config options.

Adventus said:

Awesome! :)

Back