Musical Stings Audio For Boot-Up / Menus

I remember a discussion about a boot animation and boot sound long ago. IIRC, most people didn't want boot sounds.

craigix said:
What do people want to see?
A login noise would be cool, doesn't xfce already support that?
You don't really need FLAC for that, just Vorbis. Or whatever loads fastest. I know Vorbis will have a better compression ratio, but if it takes too long to load the Vorbis decoder, it would be simpler to use a WAV.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think some boot up/shutdown sounds or even ambient music (like the wii home screen) on the minimal gui would be great. For the desktop, maybe instead of bootloader sounds, it could make launch sounds on startup, like kde or gnome. I've never used xfce, so I don't know if it includes something like that by default.

mali said:
I remember a discussion about a boot animation and boot sound long ago. IIRC, most people didn't want boot sounds.
Yeah, IIRC it was basically decided against because people were wanting a fast boot up and that would have slowed it down too much.

A unique login/logout sound would be very cool though B)
I like the idea of an ambient sound too, but they tend to work better with moving backgrounds for the desktop or program launcher.

Why is this related to boot time? Can't it be a tiny, toggleable startup program that triggers the sound?

Remember there are always the other Pandora games that will want a musical score done for them.... Pandora Panic with some nifty beats? as well as a few others ;)

Any OS sounds done by *THE* CoLD SToRAGE would be excellent! And so fitting to the device.

A login ditty would be great. Nothing too long though or it just gets annoying, I mean something like... (Take note CoLD SToRAGE, this is how you suck eggs)

Baaaaam-ba-ba-baaaaam-bah-bahhhhhhhhmmmmm tsshhhhh! binggg bonggggg bing-a-bing-a-ning bleep-b-b-bleeeeep ble-bleeeeep Wo-wo-wo-Wo-Wo-Wo-WO-WOH-WOH-WOHHHHHHHHHHahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! Would be too long.

Maybe just get Craigix to record himself saying "Bleep-bleep bleepitty bloop" and we can use that.

Hope this helps.
Pob.

I'm all for it as long as it can be optionally turned off, and as long as it's classy ;). I've turned off the boot animation/sound on my PSP because I have to restart it often (when Lua or some other homebrew crashes), so it can be a pain if it happens often. Also, I've heard some pretty awful start up sounds that I'd wanted to kill immediately. Would something like this also be user-definable? Like, can I change it to anything I want?

craigix said:
However we could certainly do something in the main OS, even if we just use some FLAC files as demo music for the player.
Demo music would be pretty cool - I haven't seen that done in quite a while, though I understand that quite a number of people have fond memories of such tunes that were included with some operating systems (one I see mentioned quite often is "Trip Through the Grand Canyon" by George Stone, which was apparently included with earlier versions of Microsoft Windows). I'd love to see some demo tunes, myself.

-Tj- said:
Would something like this also be user-definable? Like, can I change it to anything I want?
I'd like user-definable, too.

And now for some reason I'm thinking of putting the Lemmings voice-clips as the start-up and shutdown sounds. I wonder why that could be. :p (Great soundtrack, Tim - many thanks. It's been stuck in my head for many years. :lol: )

My favorite startup sound is from the PS3. Something quick and complex if that makes sense... Kind of like giving the little pandora some personality.

Tuxedomask29 said:
My favorite startup sound is from the PS3. Something quick and complex if that makes sense... Kind of like giving the little pandora some personality.
It's too bad that Sony replaced it with firmware 3.00. <_<

IMO Cold Storage should take a peek at the pmenu thread.

I'm sure those guys could use some sounds to ensure pmenu brings us an even better experience

Wait. Let me get this straight.

We've got an offer from one of the luminaries of the video game industry to produce some music for the Pandora -- for free -- and people are thinking about it??

For the love of all that is good in the world, SAY YES

craigix said:
I'm aware now, just saw the thread!

I officially volunteer as "shoulder poker". Let me know when I can begin boss...

Kagato said:
We've got an offer from one of the luminaries of the video game industry to produce some music for the Pandora -- for free -- and people are thinking about it??
This.
Craig, we MUST include CoLD SToRAGE's work somehow.

I think it should be included as most people seem to want it, but I also think there should be an option to turn it off (and all other desktop sounds) on the first boot wizard.

Back