My Plans For The Pandora...

HackModford

Okay I started building an Xbox laptop but it looks like the HD broke. So I'm thinking of just switching to the pandora.

Will I be able to plug the pandora into a monitor (TV-Out) Use Debian program things (I'm not fluent with Linux) I need a Wordprocessor. Plug in a USB keyboard and start typing stuff?

And of course I can't waite for N64!

Heh, I have an old xbox with a broken hard drive.

Anyway, assuming your monitor is capable of receiving the signal (i.e. not just DVI/VGA), yes. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "debian program things". If you mean apt-get and stuff like that, I don't think there's been an official final word as to what the package manager is, I might be wrong though. There will certainly be word processors, though. USB keyboards will also work.

Yeah my Xbox harddrive just clicks. I backed up everything (except the EEPROM) does the xbox store it somewhere on the HD? I'm going to attempt a quick repair (opening the thing up and hoping for the best). If it works I'm going to try really hard to get the EEPROM. If not... I don't know.

You see I was going to use the Xbox for a typing machine laptop gaming device. But If I can't fix it I'll probably just get a Pandora.

If you're going to run linux / homebrew / anything-not-official on an Xbox then you need to mod it. If your Xbox is modded, you can stick any old IDE HD in there and install the OS / software to it. You can get an 80GB drive for <$40 and have 8x the capacity of the POS 10GB drive that came with the system.

apparently you can do most of the hard-modded tricks on the xbox using soft-mods. i didn't know any better at the time and shelled out for an x3 chip. something like hard drive failure is probably one of the few times when the mod chip can save your butt.

although if you got a used xbox it might have been cheaper than the mod chip.

xbox laptop...probably pretty hot, no? be careful you don't burn your bits & pieces.

Why not have your cake and eat it too? Continue the Xbox project, and get a Pandora. You could set up the laptop so Pandora uses it as a dock, sharing the screen & USB devices (perhaps using an internal KVM+USB switch). How cool would that be!

As for your EEPROM, it won't be stored on your hard drive unless your Xbox was modded already, and you had used ConfigMagic to back it up. If not, your only options are (i) install a modchip, or (ii) read the EEPROM chip directly and do a softmod. For about $3 in components you can make the reader, instructions here:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/357863

It looks long but it's really just a few basic steps. I made one, and I've used it plenty. As for doing the softmod itself, if it's your first one, search for the Kingroach Ndure mod. And put aside a weekend.

[edit] Most soft modding tutorials will revolve around the HDD hot swap method. No need for that dodgy practice if you have the EEPROM. Keep that in mind if you're researching it. [/edit]

An Xbox laptop with Pandora dock would shit all over this.

Gruso said:
An Xbox laptop with Pandora dock would shit all over this.

Well duh, the Amstrad MegaPC wasn't integrated at all. The Sega TeraDrive was much better, the PC and Genesis hardware were integrated to allow cross platform code. On the MegaPC, it was just 2 things in one case, with a switch that changed between the two.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
Gruso said:
I think you took me a little too seriously.

Very geeky response though, well done. :p

PWNED!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I will use mine basically as a mini pc. Hopefully I can get most of the apps that I want for that I would usually want on a pc or laptop but, in portable version. I am just a user really but, I am always into playing around with specs and hardware. This will be the best portable for me being that I really like the idea of a palm size laptop. It just might get me more into computer science and all. Can't wait.

Back