My prayers go out to the people of Japan...

It's really tragic. Tens of billions of dollars in damage people are estimating, and not including all of the other horrific events.

I've already donated to the American Red Cross, as much as I would actually like to go there and help, it's out of my limits by several thousand miles.

Those who want to help can go to www.redcross.org and donate to Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami. People can also text REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation to help those affected by the earthquake in Japan and tsunami throughout the Pacific.

I feel sorry for the people of Japan, however there is no real effect on me and there is nothing I can personally do to ease the suffering felt there(barely enough money to pay my own bills, let alone donate to a cause). It may seem heartless to read that but I simply understand that the situation is bigger me, and I could not change a single part of it. I do feel sadness for the loss of life but I also acknowledge that I am thousands of miles away and that on this side of the globe life simply goes on.

If anyone does donate money do it to big credible organizations like the Red Cross, lots of scammers out there. Also realize that lately disasters have happened in the 3rd world, Japan is not the 3rd world, their government can take care of itself so there won't be as many legit charities cropping up around this. It is sad what happened but what is more sad is there are people that will use this tragic event to make money taking from those that want to help financially for their personal gain.

The gas explosion at the nuclear plant was, also, awesome (in the bad way). It was also very, very contained. It looked a lot like what happens when you fill a large tin full of corn flour and light it. A basic low concentration gas explosion over a high volume, which looked very controlled and didn't project much outwards ( as far as I can tell from the grainy videos ) at all:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12721498

Very contained. I sincerely hope the excellent Japanese engineers responsible for this plant show their colours and demonstrate that nuclear material can be safely contained in such an eventuality. Chernobyl wasn't exactly a good example of nuclear power in general, and it getting continually labelled as "bad" is a massive set back for humanity and the earth on the whole.

From the initial reports, it's showing great promise that the reactor core was minimally compromised during this epic quake. But nobody is going to paint this as a net positive for the viability of nuclear power. That's just how it flies with a "tainted" technology. ( see supersonic passenger jets )

I sincerely hope that this event leads to economic turnaround for Japan, they surely deserve it after such a tragedy. Their level of preparedness was also stellar. But at this juncture we don't really know what the total death toll really is.

Back