My Psp.... :(

OMars

Website
Visit site
The umd laser is now broken and I don't feel like pirating umds and running them from the memory stick slot. What is a good guide for replacing the laser? I think I know some good sites to get psp parts from, but suggestions are welcome for that as well.

Thanks in advance for those that feel like actually helping me through this saddening moment in my gaming history. It actually makes me kind of wish that I had bought a gp2x, but what am I to do? <_<

P.S. I'm not sure why I want to tell you this but, it is running firmware 3.40 OE and can run at 333Mhz without crashing. Recovery mode was great because you can change the clock frequency so games run smoother. I sure am missing this... :(

OMars said:
The umd laser is now broken and I don't feel like pirating umds and running them from the memory stick slot. What is a good guide for replacing the laser? I think I know some good sites to get psp parts from, but suggestions are welcome for that as well.

Thanks in advance for those that feel like actually helping me through this saddening moment in my gaming history. It actually makes me kind of wish that I had bought a gp2x, but what am I to do? <_<

P.S. I'm not sure why I want to tell you this but, it is running firmware 3.40 OE and can run at 333Mhz without crashing. Recovery mode was great because you can change the clock frequency so games run smoother. I sure am missing this... :(
All psps can run at 333mhz.

Also, try ebay for parts, it's much cheaper than anywhere else. I got a new analog assembly, nub and replacement faceplate for £20 last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, the PSP's don't run at 333MHz yet as its still been untapped. All PSP's should be clocking in at 22MHz unless you've managed to unlock the rest of it somehow. No developer has used the full 333MHz yet as Sony are still trying to remedy the battery problem so that they would be able to get more than 10 minutes out of a PSP running at 333MHz.

Goity said:
OMars said:

All psps can run at 333mhz.

Also, try ebay for parts, it's much cheaper than anywhere else. I got a new analog assembly, nub and replacement faceplate for £20 last year.

I know plenty of people with psp's that crash when they clock to that frequency. ;)

But anyway, I do understand what your saying about ebay, I can get the parts for as little as $20 on some auctions. By any chance would you know of a good guide to replacing the broken parts?

Omars, you're in the US, right? I'd stay away from Hong Kong sellers, especially when it comes to sony parts. That country does a hell of a job knocking them off <_<

Glancing at feedback, it seems shipping could take ages as well. Plus the price is in pounds, which isn't an issue but it's not something that's necessary.

I'd search ebay for a reputable US seller.

Ganepark32 said:
Actually, the PSP's don't run at 333MHz yet as its still been untapped. All PSP's should be clocking in at 22MHz unless you've managed to unlock the rest of it somehow. No developer has used the full 333MHz yet as Sony are still trying to remedy the battery problem so that they would be able to get more than 10 minutes out of a PSP running at 333MHz.
i thought the PSX emu runs at 333mhz and i certainly get longer than 10min good couple of hours at least

daclassicgamingmaster said:
Omars, you're in the US, right? I'd stay away from Hong Kong sellers, especially when it comes to sony parts. That country does a hell of a job knocking them off <_<

Glancing at feedback, it seems shipping could take ages as well. Plus the price is in pounds, which isn't an issue but it's not something that's necessary.

Yeah man, I'm in the US. My main problem right now though would be finding a good set of instructions on how to do this myself.

@purple_goat: I was considering that guide, but I am not sure if other people tried it and found success afterwards.

OMars said:
daclassicgamingmaster said:

Yeah man, I'm in the US. My main problem right now though would be finding a good set of instructions on how to do this myself.

@purple_goat: I was considering that guide, but I am not sure if other people tried it and found success afterwards.

I uses a guide from them for the motherboard! my psp is working perfectly now!
and do buy from gameconsolehk, the work..

The PSX emu may well run at 333MHz. I don't know anything about the PSP's homebrew scene as I no longer use it. It just sits there gathering dust.

And the 10minutes thing is a figure of speech. But its true. Sony said they would only unlock the full 333MHz for use in commercial games when they have managed to remedy the battery problem on the PSP.

The ps1 emu does run at 333mhz. There's only a battery problem when you're using umds and 333mhz, and it's still not that bad.

Hey, thanks for the help and links, but I am currently getting a refund for the psp. Would you guys recommend the gp2x over the psp? I do like the internet browsing feature and socom online, but I love emulation, too...

Just can't decide. :unsure:

Steve-O said:
stick with the PSP.. Perfect PSX emualtion etc :)
Even if I stick with the PSP, there is supposedly going to be a next-gen PSP coming later this year. That is just a rumor though, but I will wait for E3 to come by and see if sony announces it. Or...would you recommend that I just get a new one now and forget about the next-gen system?

OMars said:
Steve-O said:
stick with the PSP.. Perfect PSX emualtion etc :)
Even if I stick with the PSP, there is supposedly going to be a next-gen PSP coming later this year. That is just a rumor though, but I will wait for E3 to come by and see if sony announces it. Or...would you recommend that I just get a new one now and forget about the next-gen system?

I would get a new one now, as you can put on dark-alex firmware and play homebre/psx/isos
the new one will have a new non-downgrade able board.. <_<

@purple_goat or anybody for that matter: Do you know what firmware new psp core packs usually are at retailers? :huh:

Get a GP2x dude, it's teh awesomeness.

On a serious note, it all depends on what you think you will use it for most, commercial or homebrew. For instance I have a PSP I have not used for 6 months because the GP2x is just so good.

For commercial games, I use my DS Lite, which is amazing, maybe something to consider if you don't have one yet.

Back