My Psp.... :(

purple_goat said:
OMars said:
@purple_goat or anybody for that matter: Do you know what firmware new psp core packs usually are at retailers? :huh:
no, but my friend nabbed a 2.71...
also: go to dealextreme.com and you can get the umd laser for 8 usd!!

I already got refund, but I am not sure what to get for a new system.

Nova said:
Get a GP2x dude, it's teh awesomeness.

On a serious note, it all depends on what you think you will use it for most, commercial or homebrew. For instance I have a PSP I have not used for 6 months because the GP2x is just so good.

For commercial games, I use my DS Lite, which is amazing, maybe something to consider if you don't have one yet.
The PSP's commercial games leave something to be desired. They just don't feel like "mini-ps2" games. And although the screen is large for a handheld, it takes you our of the experience when playing horror games and GTA-style games. I will add that the homebrew is pretty good for the psp. I just loved playing "sunset riders" for the SNES on it.

Now, because of you :p , I don't know whether to get a gp2x or ds lite. I would love all the commercial games I could get for the DS. I played some games on the DS, and they were pretty entertaining.

Are you using a flash cart? If not, I know of a sight that I have bought flash carts from, that is pretty trustworthy...

Last edited by a moderator:
I was always pro-psp myself, but since buying a Lite and an R4, I've done a 360 on the issue. The commercial games are really enjoyable. I'm playing Pheonix Wright 2 now, and it's probably one of only a handhful of games that I've played that makes me think. Really original title :)

If you search out a lite, you can get a used one for ~100 usd. If you ebay both the 2x and a lite, you can definitely get a good deal, and maybe only pay 50 bucks more or so and get both.

daclassicgamingmaster said:
I was always pro-psp myself, but since buying a Lite and an R4, I've done a 360 (180?) on the issue. The commercial games are really enjoyable. I'm playing Pheonix Wright 2 now, and it's probably one of only a handhful of games that I've played that makes me think. Really original title :)

If you search out a lite, you can get a used one for ~100 usd. If you ebay both the 2x and a lite, you can definitely get a good deal, and maybe only pay 50 bucks more or so and get both.
I'm kinda broke right now, so I'd have to get one the two. Have you played any other games for the lite? How would you compare them to psp games?

I have a psp at 3.40 oe-a fw
and a DS with an r4

The psp is much better

although ds has
pheonix wright
advanced wars: DS
brain age
kirby
pokemon :p

the psp has
mk: unchained
pq
puzzle quest
coded arms
luxor
M.A.C.H.
infected
burnout
guilty gear
capcom classics reloaded
virtua tennis 3
nba ballers
def jam
Valkyrie Profile Lenneth
Chili Con Carnage
Tony Hawk Underground 2
Gurumin : A Monstrous Adventure
Lumines
Syphon filter dark mirror

that is only counting games i really like :)

To be honest, both need better games. The psp really only has the GTA series, MGS: Portable Ops, and Syphon Filter: DM. Anyone who names dozens of "great" games is clearly blinded by fanboyism. I'll be the first to admit that.

The DS has pheonix wright, pokemanz, castlevania (both titles are great), New Super mario bros., advanced war, and dont forget, Zelda: phantom hourglass is coming out. I'm even going to preorder that and make it one of a couple ds games that I actually own ;)

ARGH! I hate when people mention New Super Mario Bros. as one of the DS' best games. It isn't by a long way. I found it absolutely terrible and incredibly easy to finish and collect all of the coins. It was harder to finish Yoshi's Island DS and even that was easy. None of the Nintendo platformers that have come out are anything special. The only 2d platformer on ds that I liked was Kirby's Cursed Canvas which is amazing and much better than the new kirby game getting released.

All this talk has reminded me that I need to import Ouendan 2.

Oh...and Coded Arms on PSP? Come on. It was terrible. Didn't work well on the psp and was just awful. That said, i have played a few psp games that i've enjoyed more so than recent ds game purchases. Still undecided whether to get Brothers In Arms on ds. Anyone got it?

Ganepark32 said:
ARGH! I hate when people mention New Super Mario Bros. as one of the DS' best games. It isn't by a long way. I found it absolutely terrible and incredibly easy to finish and collect all of the coins.
Well clearly lots of people disagree, I certainly do, it's fun :).

All I will say is that I personally play the DS most, followed by the GP2x. The PSP, I just don't play.

I do have a flashcart, and it's one of the greatest things i've owned. However, I've stopped pirating roms, since I recently got a Cease and Desist order for pirating Diddy Kong Racing.

Orkie said:
Ganepark32 said:
ARGH! I hate when people mention New Super Mario Bros. as one of the DS' best games. It isn't by a long way. I found it absolutely terrible and incredibly easy to finish and collect all of the coins.
Well clearly lots of people disagree, I certainly do, it's fun :).

I've gotta agree. Maybe if you're into crazy difficult games it's not your cup of tea, but I found it ok in the difficulty department. It was a fun 2D platformer that got a lot right without being too gimmicky.

At any rate, I'd agree with DCGM's advice and try ebay to get both a GP2X and a DS. I've got an older DS and honestly, while the DS Lite is good if you can afford it, the original meets the standard of "good enough" and can be had for cheap. I really can't recommend one over the other because I love both so much. I love my PSP, too (and I can't forget my GBM!) I just love handhelds, they're great. :)

i have to stick up for the psp here, i think that some of the psp games are pretty good you just gotta look hard enough.
Also the psx emulation is simply fantastic im playing MDK and diablo atm and its alot of fun, the mp4 player is kinda good, even if you do look like a massive wanker on the bus watching anything on it.

saying that though DS is alot of fun, and give mario a break its really good just WAY TO SMALL.

I actually do prefer my games to be a bit challenging which is why I loved Trauma Centre on DS and is also the reason I still play my Dreamcast. I just can't beat the 3rd level boss on Ikaruga.

When the hell is Trauma Centre on Wii coming out in Europe? I would like another challenge

Ganepark32 said:
Oh...and Coded Arms on PSP? Come on. It was terrible. Didn't work well on the psp and was just awful.
awful? maybe you haven't played multiplaer..
or the game itself I really like it.. :blink:

I have a Gameboy micro with a supercard mini-sd and a 2GB card. It is pretty fun, but some of the games had compatibility issues. But I was wondering if I should get a DS lite and use the supercard with a passkey.

What do you guys think? :huh:

OMars said:
I have a Gameboy micro with a supercard mini-sd and a 2GB card. It is pretty fun, but some of the games had compatibility issues. But I was wondering if I should get a DS lite and use the supercard with a passkey.

R4. 30 bucks from dealextreme and it was worth every cent. The thing is amazing!

OMars said:

R4. 30 bucks from dealextreme and it was worth every cent. The thing is amazing!

Plus a good sized memory card... $60

I'll see if I can get all of this at once... :)

I wouldn't bother for the moment. I had a Supercard SD, and the compatibility is great.I wouldn't worry for the moment unless the thing sticking out a bit bothers you.

OMars said:
Hardly. Memory is so cheap now that higher capacity cards are coming out. I bought a 1gb microsd for 20 dollars, 15 dollar rebate. So if you don't mind waiting for money back in the mail, you'll only pay 5 or 10 bucks for a nice sized card.

Unless you're wanting a 4gb :unsure:

OMars said:
Hardly. Memory is so cheap now that higher capacity cards are coming out. I bought a 1gb microsd for 20 dollars, 15 dollar rebate. So if you don't mind waiting for money back in the mail, you'll only pay 5 or 10 bucks for a nice sized card.

Unless you're wanting a 4gb :unsure:

MicroSDHC is out? BTW, I meant altogether it would be 60.

No not HC, just a normal microSD. And yes, I know what you meant. I got mine for 5 bucks, so in total I got an r4, (came with microSD reader as well(!)), and a 1gb microSD for 35 dollars. Both including shipping. :)

No not HC, just a normal microSD. And yes, I know what you meant. I got mine for 5 bucks, so in total I got an r4, (came with microSD reader as well(!)), and a 1gb microSD for 35 dollars. Both including shipping. :)
Did you get the microsd from dealextreme?

Back