My Thoughts !

7zark7

I opened up Pandora's box today and was slightly suprised by the thickness of the device compared to the wiz, it really is a lot thicker !

Having read some of the issues over build quality that other people had raised and also the fact that I knowingly adopted a one nub unit I was fearing the worst.

I couldn't have been more suprised, the build quality is good, all screws and pieces of plastic in the correct place !

My son paid it the ultimate compliment "my god that looks like its from the 90's"...

Why is that a compliment? I believe the pandora's soul is in the 80-90's :) I own an iphone, ds, psp, ipad, wiz, gp2 mk1 (shudder) and the Pandora feels how a proper gaming handheld should be. well done guys.

I love the screen, I really like the d-pad , it is probably the best d-pad i have ever played on, diagonals in chaos engine are perfect, i really struggled with this on the wiz.

The nubs are good, very sensitive and are going to take some time to get used to, but nicely positioned and very useable. Even the one nub not working looks like just calibration issues.

The OS looks good, and performs well, equally battery life looks to be pretty good as well.

In terms of loading software, I copied a few emulators to a SD card and then realised that there were no data directories for copying files, I popped the SD card into the Pandora , executed each one and then all the relevant directories were created under appdata on the card, a bit strange but once you know whats going on totally fine. there is probably a better way of doing this (I was never one for reading the manual).

Picodrive runs perfectly , I tried running Mame to emulate the Namco System 1 with Splatterhouse but at the moment it's not quick enough even with clocking the cpu to 800MHZ.

I really love the pandora , i think it has huge potential and I think most of you will feel the same way when you get yours.

Sorry this is a bit rushed but I want to go back and play :)

BTW I am in bucks so if anyone wanted to meet and try it out more than happy to do that.

7Zark7

I really love mine, I'm sorry to say I take it everywhere and just want to play with it all day ..

torpor said:
I really love mine, I'm sorry to say I take it everywhere and just want to play with it all day ..

Why sorry? sounds a lot like what you should be feeling towards your... Pandora... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
7zark7 said:
I opened up Pandora's box today and was slightly suprised by the thickness of the device compared to the wiz, it really is a lot thicker !

Having read some of the issues over build quality that other people had raised and also the fact that I knowingly adopted a one nub unit I was fearing the worst.

I couldn't have been more suprised, the build quality is good, all screws and pieces of plastic in the correct place !

My son paid it the ultimate compliment "my god that looks like its from the 90's"...

Why is that a compliment? I believe the pandora's soul is in the 80-90's :) I own an iphone, ds, psp, ipad, wiz, gp2 mk1 (shudder) and the Pandora feels how a proper gaming handheld should be. well done guys.

I love the screen, I really like the d-pad , it is probably the best d-pad i have ever played on, diagonals in chaos engine are perfect, i really struggled with this on the wiz.

The nubs are good, very sensitive and are going to take some time to get used to, but nicely positioned and very useable. Even the one nub not working looks like just calibration issues.

The OS looks good, and performs well, equally battery life looks to be pretty good as well.

In terms of loading software, I copied a few emulators to a SD card and then realised that there were no data directories for copying files, I popped the SD card into the Pandora , executed each one and then all the relevant directories were created under appdata on the card, a bit strange but once you know whats going on totally fine. there is probably a better way of doing this (I was never one for reading the manual).

Picodrive runs perfectly , I tried running Mame to emulate the Namco System 1 with Splatterhouse but at the moment it's not quick enough even with clocking the cpu to 800MHZ.

I really love the pandora , i think it has huge potential and I think most of you will feel the same way when you get yours.

Sorry this is a bit rushed but I want to go back and play :)

BTW I am in bucks so if anyone wanted to meet and try it out more than happy to do that.

7Zark7
let us know how you get on with that faulty nub.I just emailed for one myself.Pandoramania

centus said:
torpor said:

Why sorry? sounds a lot like what you should be feeling towards your... Pandora... ;)
He's sorry because he was supposed to be spending the weekend working on his music apps. ;) Did much of that happen, btw? I have a bucket-load of open-source musicians hanging on your every post. (No pressure! :D )

let us know how you get on with that faulty nub.I just emailed for one myself.Pandoramania

both nubs are now working after re-calibration.

7Zark7

torpor said:
I'm just waiting for the first Pandora caused divorce to hit the boards. All playing with yourself can't possibly be good for you.

EDIT: I suppose that's a bad thing, but with positive reviews like this, I'm sure it's inevitable.

hedwards said:
torpor said:
I'm just waiting for the first Pandora caused divorce to hit the boards. All playing with yourself can't possibly be good for you.

EDIT: I suppose that's a bad thing, but with positive reviews like this, I'm sure it's inevitable.

I'd imagine some wives may be disapproving of that whilst watching pr0n on the 'dorra :D

7zark7 said:

7Zark7
Great that a one-nubber got the second one working :)

7zark7 said:

7Zark7

Wow, where would you have been in the queue if you hadn't jumped? I wish you long nub life (and I'm now super jealous). You deserve the fortune of two working nubs for taking a risk, but... darn :)

Back