Some initial thoughts on the Rebirth edition...

Darkjudge1

Still Fresh
First of all, a couple of thank yous are in order:

First off, thanks once again to Link for his work at ithic.com. Also, major props to Evildragon, CraigX and the rest of the team for building such an awesome device!

I really don't know where to begin with my impressions. For the record, I am using the Rebirth edition of the unit. The case feels solid and the desktop feels nice and zippy. I've not really had too much lag in terms of dealing with the SD cards (Have a class 10 16 GB card from my Wiz, which I'm transferring the important parts over to the 64 GB card. :)) or the system in general. Granted, I've bumped the system slightly to 800 mhz, just to see how things would go. The hardware fits nice in the hand, d-pad is solid as are the nubs... VERY easy to get used to the mouse by using the joystick (which I honestly wasn't expecting.). I have to also say that I'm not really a big fan of styluses as I feel like I don't get the precision of the mouse. But the stylus doesn't feel awkward here. So, major props there. I feel like I have a real choice and someone actually tested the stylus well.

Of course, the first thing I had to try out with this was DOSbox. I didn't throw anything too hard at it: The original Duke Nukem, Xargon and Blake Stone. The Pandora just smiled and said, "Really? Come on give me a challenge!" I will challenge it more tomorrow as I finally have a weekend to fix some config issues and the like. I think that the PSX emulation didn't work because of a lack of BIOS... I forgot to add the files, so that should fix the problem. I'll test out Castlevania, symphony of the night. And I might monkey around with N64 emulation. To me, the PSX is slightly more important than N64, but I'm going to be curious to see how much of a difference the incremental update makes as opposed to the standard model in terms of N64 emulation.

I've got to say, this is the best portable emulation device I've ever used. Everything feels very natural. I feel like that calling it a console is a bit of an insult. The device makers aren't kidding when they say it's a full fledged Linux machine. I could easily get used to this thing for some minor stuff, like writing code, word processor, etc. I would also say that much like idevices, you're probably not going to understand what's so special about the Pandora until you hold one and play with it.

It's a perfect fit so far. So let's see how far I can push this little beast.

True.im so busy atm i can barely find time to play around with my 1ghz unit.agony a500 awaits me.im gonna try finish it without savestates.

Back