What's the most Pandora-like USB controller on the market?

LeviathanMist

Still Fresh
So here's the thing. I got a Pandora recently. I LOVE the D-Pad. It's perfect. Best D-Pad I've ever used. Now here's the problem... The D-Pad is permanently attached to the system. If it ever wigs out or wears out, say, 10 years from now after support has long diminshed, I'm not gonna wanna tear the system apart and try to fix it. I'm thinking super long-term here. So what I want is a USB controller I can plug into the Pandora, but with a similar-feeling D-Pad. Basically, I want a D-Pad that feels effortless and smooth. The closest I can compare it to is the original SNES D-Pad, but even that can't compare.

I have a Logitech gamepad, the D-Pad on that feels too floaty. I have a number of PS2/PS3 clones that are nice, but feel not as responsive as I'd like. I have a number of SNES clone controllers where the D-Pad feels too stiff. And my authentic SNES controller has been worn down and now feels too sensitive after cleanings. I really want a controller that I can take apart and fix if it malfunctions, but has an ultra-responsive, light and fluffy drops-into-place feel to it like the Pandora. Does anyone have any experiences with gamepads that feel like the Pandora's D-Pad?

If you buy another Pandora and use Master Control...

For a cheaper solution, I use a gamecube controller and a USB adapter I bought years ago.. Someone must still make those adapters.

The DS phat d-pad was much better for street-fighter than the DS lite was. It's a bit odd though, as it's got almost no travel and is massive, but I find dragon-punches on it easier than almost any other pad.

I'd say the GC d-pad is pretty bad too, as it seems to be the same part as the GBA d-pad. It's both too small and too spongy for my hands.

I was going to suggest a Megadrive USB pad, for a similar dpad... 

...But the iCP would be a better option I guess.

Not sure how tricky replacing the keymat is, but might be worth investing in a spare one anyway, just in case that unfortunate day does come and your one wears out.

ED sells them and not much money, just 4.20 euro

https://www.dragonbox.de/en/pandora/153-case-replacement-parts.html

87.jpg

If you ever get ANY USB controller working on the pandora, please let us know how you did it. I haven't been able to get any controllers working and I haven't found any reliable instructions or step by step how to's on achieving this.

Still waiting to play 2 Player Double Dragon:/

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got several USB controllers working.. the key is having a proper USB 2.0 HUB.

Some tricks is always plug in the Controllers to the HUB first, then the Pandora and then Enable USB-Host in the settings tray. Some cheaper HUBs can hose things up if you plug in the hub with nothing plugged in.

Once a controller is plugged in and working, it depends on the emulator or game you want to play, you will/may need to remap the controls in the settings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have any experiences with gamepads that feel like the Pandora's D-Pad?
With some modding skills you could:Order a Pandora case with buttons and everything (or at least the bottom of it, don't know if ED offers that).

Order a broken Pandora mainboard or get the Pandora PCB schematic, edit it a little and order a couple of them from somewhere (or make them yourself).

Then you just need to hook up the buttons. Find the suitable traces and solder some wire to them (or if you made your own PCB you might route them somewhere nice and add solder pads). Then for the electronics you could probably use an Arduino, or you could cannibalize an existing game pad by just taking it's pcb and connecting the matching traces.

Could be a fun project.

Not too hard depending on how you do it, certainly possible even without previous experience.

Back