The Stylus And The Lcd

craig - just one question. Bashing it with the stylus while handheld is all well and good. Can it be used on a desk, with the screen unfolded to it's open "locked" position - without the screen moving or the whole unit being tipped over?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Cools

May I ask why you would elect to use it in such a manner?

'Chip' said:
'j.pickens' said:
Since we're talking user interface here, I am keen to know if the analog nubs and d-pad are working in mouse/cursor control mode yet.
The dpad can already be used in place of arrow keys. As far as I know the analog pads are not working as a mouse yet, but not because it's impossible (or even difficult). It just happens that most of the dev boards do not have analog nubs so nobody has had a chance to sort it out yet. It should definitely be implemented in time for launch.

From a coding perspective, it seems the DPAD is actually handled as the cursor keys so the DPAD IS actually the Cursor keys.

'cools' said:
craig - just one question. Bashing it with the stylus while handheld is all well and good. Can it be used on a desk, with the screen unfolded to it's open "locked" position - without the screen moving or the whole unit being tipped over?
'Phawx' said:
@cools

I foresee a new sport along the lines of extreme ironing <_<

extreme OP P user!!!

'Phawx' said:
@cools

Yes. Because I was extremely comfortable using the Zaurus 3200 like this - typing on it as though it was a tiny laptop (far quicker than thumb typing too), but the Zaurus screen was at a horrible angle when locked and would flip fully open at the merest touch.

Having a little device sitting on the desk at arms length for IMs, ssh sessions, calendar etc is *really* nice. Think the original Palm PDAs with the docking station. I don't want to have to be picking it up to tap the screen, or have a mouse plugged in.

Not talking extensive day long use like this - and if it can't it's no huge issue.

Note when it's handheld I won't want to use the touchscreen if I can help it. Except for applications that require it (Paint programs, etc) I find keyboard/d-pad navigation a lot more comfortable.

I had this fear and could never imagine me using the touch screen. Thanx Craig! :D

@cools

I would suspect the weight of the battery might brace it better than your Zaurus. But that's just an assumption.

Would the case be easily modable to make the stylus on come out the left side of the case for the left handed users??

Either way, this is all good news to hear.

Almostalive said:
Would the case be easily modable to make the stylus on come out the left side of the case for the left handed users??
Possible? yes.
Easy? no.
Just look at the case parts posted in the news section; it would be possible by drilling a new hole and move the "stylus holding plastic bit" but it would be a tight fit.

@almostalive

I don't think so, because when I saw ED assembling the unit there is an extra piece inside the Pandora that gives something for the stylus to hold on to.

As best as I can guess.

Speaking of the Stylus... it is taking up some valuable real estate. I imagine a modder could make use of the area there, like say with a long narrow PCB?

'BackAssward' said:
Speaking of the Stylus... it is taking up some valuable real estate. I imagine a modder could make use of the area there, like say with a long narrow PCB?
I imagine someone could fit a GPS unit or accelerometer in there. Possibly both.

'Almostalive' said:
Would the case be easily modable to make the stylus on come out the left side of the case for the left handed users?

IIRC not. There is some obstackle. The phone jack, I guess.

edit: I ask before, if possible drill hole for stylus through whole unit and make stylus as long as Pandora is wide. But somebody calm me down with this information.
edit2: MWeston's answer ( www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&showtopic=46437&view=findpost&p=695175 )

'peca' said:
'Almostalive' said:
Would the case be easily modable to make the stylus on come out the left side of the case for the left handed users?

IIRC not. There is some obstackle. The phone jack, I guess.

edit: I ask before, if possible drill hole for stylus through whole unit and make stylus as long as Pandora is wide. But somebody calm me down with this information.
edit2: MWeston's answer ( www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&showtopic=46437&view=findpost&p=695175 )
Well that sucks, kinda. Its sometime I'll be easily able to get over. I can adopt to using right handed stuff pretty well.

Thanks for the answer

Before I saw this post I was logging on to ask this question...Would it be to hard to implement one of the hardware buttons say to be held down for a couple of seconds or some launchable app to make the screen flip upside down? While I understand that the screen holds steady I have rather shaky hands and being able to work with drawing (gimp or something) could be much easier...with the controls out of the way would make things quite more steady assuming of course that the screen folds back flat...is this possible? Likely? Easy? Hard? Thanks!

'Poem58' said:
Before I saw this post I was logging on to ask this question...Would it be to hard to implement one of the hardware buttons say to be held down for a couple of seconds or some launchable app to make the screen flip upside down? While I understand that the screen holds steady I have rather shaky hands and being able to work with drawing (gimp or something) could be much easier...with the controls out of the way would make things quite more steady assuming of course that the screen folds back flat...is this possible? Likely? Easy? Hard? Thanks!
I guess xrandr will run. with xrandr running, binding screen rotation to a button should be a no-brainer. perhaps you gotta do it yourself if nobody else needs this feature but it shouldn't be hard.

Back