The Stylus And The Lcd

'MDave' said:
Does the screen suffer from a lot of smudging when you use your fingers? I hate cleaning my iphone's screen all the time. I'll probably exclusively use the stylus if that's the case.
Are your fingers dirty? If so, anything you touch with them is going to get smudged. There is no such thing as a "smudge-free" touchscreen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it worth getting a screen protector for the Pandora screen to protect from stylus scatch lines etc ?

Is the stylus tip made of different material as the actual stylus , or just the same material as the pandora body?

Is the pandora screen fairly scratch resistant ?
as the best time to fit one would be when brand new and clean , right ?

'Chip' said:
'MDave' said:
Does the screen suffer from a lot of smudging when you use your fingers? I hate cleaning my iphone's screen all the time. I'll probably exclusively use the stylus if that's the case.
Are your fingers dirty? If so, anything you touch with them is going to get smudged. There is no such thing as a "smudge-free" touchscreen.
Excuse me? I'm pretty OTT when it comes to cleanliness, thank you very much.

Of course no matter how clean your hands are, it still smudges. That ISN'T what I'm asking. What I want to know is if it smudges as much as something really prone to it like the iphone, or something less prone to it like the DS touch screens.

'MDave' said:
'Chip' said:
'MDave' said:
Excuse me? I'm pretty OTT when it comes to cleanliness, thank you very much.

Of course no matter how clean your hands are, it still smudges. That ISN'T what I'm asking. What I want to know is if it smudges as much as something really prone to it like the iphone, or something less prone to it like the DS touch screens.

The iPhone has a glass capacitive touch screen, the Pandora has a normal resistive. Like the DS. No smudges.

i just love the touch screen on my iPhone 3g. but my ds really has a crappy touch screen. so pandora has a really desame touchscreen? or is it just single-touch? becouse with all ds's, you really need to press the screen as a kind of button. and if you watch closely you see the screen go down a bit. with the iphone its really touching, not pressing. understand what i mean?
now im curious what the pandora has...

Yes the pandora screen is what you call "single touch" or Resistive type of touch screen...
The Iphone has a capacitive one.

Both work differently and both have plus and minus...
I suggest you check the wikipedia page for technical detail:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touchscreen#Resistive

My opinion is that a capacitive screen works well on the Iphone because the interface was designed with that in might (and multi-touch). Don't forget that you can't use a stylus on the Iphone and can't get nowhere the same precision as a resistive touchscreen.

On the pandora you will be using a lot of application that were originally designed to be used on a larger screen and with a mouse. A capacitive screen like on the Iphone would be a very bad choice IMO.

EDIT: And resistive screen don't have to be crappy. I am very happy with the one I have on the my nokia IT. I can't comment much on the DS one's though
EDIT2: Mixed up resistive and capacitive...

'marshal' said:
EDIT: And capacitive screen don't have to be crappy. I am very happy with the one I have on the my nokia IT. I can't comment much on the DS one's though
He meant resistive here.
Also, the resistive screen on the DS is different - I think nintendo put a layer above it that is not actually touching the screen, to protect the touchscreen. I may just be making that up, but I've never seen a resistive screen work like that other than the DS.

'rabidpoobear' said:
'marshal' said:
EDIT: And capacitive screen don't have to be crappy. I am very happy with the one I have on the my nokia IT. I can't comment much on the DS one's though
He meant resistive here.
Also, the resistive screen on the DS is different - I think nintendo put a layer above it that is not actually touching the screen, to protect the touchscreen. I may just be making that up, but I've never seen a resistive screen work like that other than the DS.

ah, so the pandora wont have this layer? So i can really touch the screen instead of press it, to let the pandora do something?

'borgqueenx' said:
ah, so the pandora wont have this layer? So i can really touch the screen instead of press it, to let the pandora do something?
No. All resistive touchscreens have this added layer. That is how resistive touchscreens work. The extra layer is more or less obvious on different screens depending on design though. The DS does have one of the most obvious resistive layers I've seen for a touchscreen device.

'Chip' said:
'borgqueenx' said:
No. All resistive touchscreens have this added layer. That is how resistive touchscreens work. The extra layer is more or less obvious on different screens depending on design though. The DS does have one of the most obvious resistive layers I've seen for a touchscreen device.

Probably because Nintendo knew a bunch of noobs would be using it. XD

'borgqueenx' said:
'rabidpoobear' said:
'marshal' said:
He meant resistive here.

well, personally im going to put one on myself cause why pay nearly 340 dollars for a device just to ruin the screen in a week. anyway i have several archos devices including the 605 which I believe is the same screen as the pandora. its huge compared to most devices im used to, i don't notice any 'ghosting', movies look beautiful and the touchscreen works pretty well, i used it with my thumbs always since i use the device for mp3 playing, media watching and stuff like that so i dont really need precision.

haha how funny this is when the makers say its good everyone (including myself) beleives them and are excited

if a major manufacturer would say it is great everybody would say well i still have to see that.

Haha that shows the power of being open :)

'borgqueenx' said:
damn so its not really a touch screen but actually a bunch of buttons :p

thats to bad, but its only a small downside :)
Uh.... what? :blink:

I've had a bunch of resistive touchscreen devices, from old Casio Windows CE's to Nokia Internet Tablets, and I immediately put a protector on them. I will do likewise with the OP P.

'borgqueenx' said:

I THINK you are referring to those VERY old touchscreens with the "buttons" (devided into patches of say 0,5 square cm).

I won't be that kind. I trust the team that it will be great.

Edit: spelling and clarification

'borgqueenx' said:

It's more like 2 resistive layers separated slightly, and when you press down on the top one, it closes a circuit and they control electronics can use the layers as variable resistors to guess where you touched it. It's only a "bunch of buttons" in the sense that the control circuitry converts it to a digitial signal at some point.

But the "buttons" are probably about pixel-sized or smaller, so it's not as though it's inaccurate.

'borgqueenx' said:

wat

Back