My USB Port is dying?

FaeMinx

Rainbow Liberation Instigation
My USB port is no longer working properly - for some unknown reason.

I noticed the problem yesterday after downloading and installing FireFox 13. I was connected via USB tethering my HTC Sensation. When I unplugged the cable, and put it back in later - my phone would show it was charging, but the 'connect to pc' dialogue where I can tell it to tether didn't show up. I tried manualy turning on the tether in settings and was unable to.

I plugged in an external hard drive and at first it didn't show up. Removing the cable and plugging it in again, and a few seconds later, there it was.

I shut down the Pandora and removed the battery for 30 seconds, I got the same behavior. While the phone was obviously charging from my Pandora I unplugged it on the phone side and plugged it in again... Only for it to show that it wasn't charging.

Restarting the phone didn't help. I tested the phone on another laptop, and it worked perfectly.

I eventually got it to work, but today i'm having the same issues... Except that on the very rare occasion I can get the 'connect to pc' dialog to show and actually activate USB Tethering, I go to my Pandora to try and connect and it shows no connections available! Even though the Tethering icon is showing on my phone. And I also can't get my external hard drive to show no matter what I do.

But I could read it fine this morning.

Please note this is a very brief explanation of everything I did... There have been numerous resets, battery popping, SD card removing, resetting, clock speed changing, resetting with the USB cable plugged in, resetting and trying different USB devices in different orders.

I've never experienced such grief before... A simple reset would always solve any USB problems.

Last piece of possibly useful information: FireFox 13 froze my Pandora twice in a row when i first tried it and required a hard-reset.

What more can I do? I can't even download the latest firmware and reflash as i can't connect to do so! :(

But would that help? I really hope so... Losing the USB port would be a catastrophe! It's probably the most used feature on my Pandora. :(

And i'm out of warranty too... No RMA option for me. *sob* :(

Mmm maybe reflash with an older firmware to check if it's really hardware-related ?

Did you check if the physical connection moves or if it's solid-fitted ?

Did you change the cable recently ?

Did you put the brightness at it's minimum to save power for USB ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, i'm going to try a reflash as soon as i can get *any* version of the firmware... What i'll probably do is install a download manager on my mother's laptop and buy a data package that will cover the size of the latest firmware... And download a chunk every evening untill it's finished. So i'll probably be able to reflash in a few days time.

Further tests have shown that my USB port works fine and can read multiple devices no problem... Untill I plug in my phone. Then it appears the USB host crashes and all it will do is show my phone is charging but no device can be read.

Why on earth would it all of a sudden start behaving like this now? I've been USB Tethering this phone with this cable for just about a year already. What the fuzz?

Why on earth would it all of a sudden start behaving like this now? I've been USB Tethering this phone with this cable for just about a year already. What the fuzz?
This might be a stupid question, but have any updates been issued to the phone which might have caused this?

^ That's my thought as well, but there have been no updates that I've been informed about - if something's changed, it's happened behind my back so to speak.

... Do Android viruses exist? I've never actually scanned my phone...

I should actually try tether someone else's smartphone and see what happens...

Edit: Awesome Sig by the way. :)

Edit edit: I checked for software update on my phone and looks like the official ICS update is available. So i'm busy downloading now.... It's 300mb though, so will most likely only install the update this evening or tomorrow. Hopefully this will fix things... Exciting to get a new OS anyway. :)

EDIT: I forgot about this thread, but I thought I would just chime in here that my usb port is working perfectly - there *was* something odd happening with my phone, and I also updated my Pandora to the latest firmware. Just incase anyone is reading this and has concerns. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back