Mythic Chess

Enslaved posted on Aug 22 2004 at 07:26 PM said:
I like the idea of folders that someone said but because of clusters making things bigger on SMC than they really are, I suggest using 2 zip files, 1 for pieces and 1 for boards.
Actually, i will probably just two data files, 1 for the pieces and 1 for the board

Last edited by a moderator:
Any chance you could add one for ruleset too? Assuming the AI could cope with changed moves for the pieces, that is...

Say a text file set out something along the lines of

Code:
#1:Pawn    // Declare the piece number and name
Number: 8  // How many there are - useful for parsing the co-ordinates where 
                // they'll be
Positions:  // X Y, each piece on a separate line; positions based on one half-board
1 2           // and then the other side is a mirror of the first, so you only have to 
2 2           // define one set of pieces
3 2
4 2
5 2
6 2
7 2
8 2
NumberNonAttackMoves: 1 // Define the number of moves where the piece cannot 
                                        // attack
NonAttackMoves:  // As positions, on separate lines in vector format X Y
0 1
NumberAttackMoves: 2 // Define the number of moves where the piece *can* 
                                  // attack from. Clearly for most pieces this is all of them.
AttackMoves: // New lines again
1 1
-1 1

Then have a load of optional things you can have like
OnTaken: Gameover
OnCrossingTheBoard: #9:Queen // (or whatever)
PassOverTake: 0 // For Draughts-like games; if it crosses through any squares
// where a piece resides it also takes them...

Some kind of definition file like that *could* allow for quite a lot of crazy chess rulesets, especially if you also allowed the board to be defined. Though i suspect somehow that such a feature would take a LOT of work to put in (like a complete re-working of how the game is done or something, let alone all the code to parse the things, though I imagine I only find that as hard as I do because I'm a very bad coder). And it probably wouldn't be used that much given how much things like VNS have actually been used. But it would mean Mythic Chess could be any chess variant you wanted... especially if the AI would work with them as well (which I've not a clue whether it would). And unlike any other game creation kit for the GP32, you could end up with a completely different game, even starting from scratch, in about an hour, probably. Which is very very quick.

Possibly not worth it, probably too much work, but certainly worth a thought or two...

I tried to download it, but when i extract it, give me a corrupt error. :unsure:

Version 0.5 Released!

Changes:
Added the ability to load and save a single game
Added a new hand drawn Metroid chess set by Kuwanger
Bug fix: Transparency problems with board
Bug Fix: Change piece and board menu item does not work

00000011.JPG

i really enjoy this game (i loove chess)

but i miss an oggplayer.

have you consider it?

regards.

Hi!
Someone talked before about a new ruleset... and I find some of the variations of SICO (Schizofrenic Internet Chess Online, see link below) are really interesting.
SICO has some different rules (even playing without the additional pieces -aka "faeries"-), but some variations can be played with the usual pieces and rules:
- #1: no queens
- #2: extra bishops
- #3: extra queens
- #4: all knights
- #5: kings in the corner
- #6: pass the pawns
- #7: close quarters <--- real fun! (especially for the white player)
- #11: diagonalia <--- crazy!!! (also, great advantage for the white player)
- #12: duelling kings
- #16: all queens
- #17: wild 5 <--- read the explanation: it's funnier than it seems!
- #18: n-b-r
- #19: separate <--- keeping the queen alive is not an easy thing
- #20: 1-up
And, finally, two I didn't know before:
- #22: escape v2
- #23: 90
The other variations use the additional pieces (kirbys, vampires, blocks and bounceshops), so they cannot be so easily implemented.

The promised links:
- Click here to see the SICO Chess main page.
- Click here to see the SICO Chess Variations.

I don't know about the legal issues of using that board setups and/or piece set (in my opinion, it's really nice and clear!).

It would be nice if it had an icon for the fxe!

Some things to point out:
- The cursor in the menus is too sensible, it goes really fast and sometimes you cannot control it.
- The menu could be more eye candy, I could help you in doing that, I have some experience in it.
- You cannot stop CPU from thinking. If you begin a game wich consists in CPU vs CPU, the GP32 will stay thinking all the time. There is no way to stop the machine from thinking when you press start?

I think I'm being incredibly dumb here, but I load the game up and nothing happens. I can see the board and the characters. Whilst on the right of the screen it states:

White
Last:
0:a1a1

if I press the Start button or the "A" button again nothing happens. I have fresh batteries in and its in the GPMM folder. This looks the bomb and can't wait to play it. Just wondered if there were old config files I should delete or something.

It could be my GP though, since I have a similar problem with Numo.

I love it, I've just found one irrelevant bug in 0.5. If you select a piece, then start a new game without moving it the piece will still be selected in the new game. You can't play with this extra peice, but the cursor shows it until another peice is selected.

Bingo Jesus posted on Aug 23 2004 at 06:05 PM said:
I love it, I've just found one irrelevant bug in 0.5. If you select a piece, then start a new game without moving it the piece will still be selected in the new game. You can't play with this extra peice, but the cursor shows it until another peice is selected.
Nice catch...I will fix that

lizard808uk posted on Aug 23 2004 at 05:58 PM said:
I think I'm being incredibly dumb here, but I load the game up and nothing happens. I can see the board and the characters. Whilst on the right of the screen it states:

White
Last:
0:a1a1

if I press the Start button or the "A" button again nothing happens. I have fresh batteries in and its in the GPMM folder. This looks the bomb and can't wait to play it. Just wondered if there were old config files I should delete or something.

It could be my GP though, since I have a similar problem with Numo.
That's quite odd.

What firmware are you using?

Aquafish 4.3 - normally boot in Euro firmware. Tried a couple of SMCs. Literally the picture of the board shows up with the pieces but theres no cursor (is there supposed to be?) and buttons don't work. One of the pawns in the middle on the second to bottom row has a grey square as well, but I can't do anything to it.

I have experienced this with a couple of other homebrew games, so it might just be my GP.

Along the same lines as the bug before if you change boards or sets while a piece is selected various different graphical errors happen, such as peices from both sets apparing on the board, the board shifting to the side of where the peices are making the peices lie on the lines between squares or graphical "noise" taking the place of the selected peice. Maybe you should disable the menu while a peice is selected.

(Sorry if I misspelled peice)

I think when you are selecting an option, the ihghlighted option isnt bright enough, i cant see what im changing, and what im changing it to.

Bug : I moved a bishop to check the enemies king. He put his own bishop in the way. I moved my knight to protect my bishop. he moved his bishop away from the king, leaving it in check.

Back