N64 Emulator Canceled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you followed the link? Read the sticky? Where it tells you that no one is working on it?

You saw a thread saying no one is working on it? The thread that got closed?

And needed to ask again to make sure?

How many silly questions can we all ask in one night?

Last edited by a moderator:
zacaj said:
I saw in http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=44212 that zodttd isnt working on the N64 emulator anymore, is anyone still planning on making one?

Calling it "canceled" implies that it was ever "on" in the first place. Zod once mentioned in an upcoming projects post that he would be "Taking a look at N64 emulation on the Pandora." Whether he actually got around to looking at it or not, it's not as though he ever really committed to the project. Zod is a very prolific porter. He's brought more programs to the iPhone than probably any one other dev, but an N64 emulator is another animal entirely.

As I've said quite a few times, playable N64 emulation on the Pandora is iffy at best. It would take a lot of hard work. Maybe somebody will give it a shot, and maybe not.

I really wouldn't stress too much about it. The community is strong, and there is a lot of desire to push Pandora to it's limits, of which by all accounts N64 emulation definitely pushes and probably passes.

Somebody will take a shot at it I'm sure. I think it's more important to get the stuff that *will* work down first, and worry about what *might* work later.

Has any other dev expressed any interest in it?
I'm sure it'll be done eventually, and I'd imagine fullspeed without sound should be possible, based on what I've seen with Daedelus on the PSP.

Frank Grimes said:
Has any other dev expressed any interest in it?
I'm sure it'll be done eventually, and I'd imagine fullspeed without sound should be possible, based on what I've seen with Daedelus on the PSP.
Yes, someone else has said they would be interested if Zod didn't go forward. Unfortunately, due to the limitations of the search feature and the inability to look at my own post history, I don't recall who mentioned it.

Since Project64 runs better on my 1.6 Atom MSI wind than ePSX does (although none of them is perfect), I'd say that it might not be impossible on the Pandora, after having seen the videos of the PSX emu.
Then again, the N64 might have some "properties" that make it easier to emulate on the wind than on the Pandora...
Anyway, I too hope that it will be possible. But I also agree that we should focus on thing that are know to be possible for now. I'd rather have perfect psx emulation than jerky N64 for Pandora's launch.

Sad, I didn't know Zod had pulled out of beginning N64 emulation. I don't own an iPod anything so it sucks that Steve Jobs will make even more money with Zod's fervent devotion to Fruit Co. :eek:

Maybe Tinnus?
Well, we still have Dreamcast emulation( :( )

I'm kidding about Dreamcast BTW. I think Wii emulation is possible though.

rmm21 said:
Sad, I didn't know Zod had pulled out of beginning N64 emulation. I don't own an iPod anything so it sucks that Steve Jobs will make even more money with Zod's fervent devotion to Fruit Co. :eek:

Maybe Tinnus?
Well, we still have Dreamcast emulation( :( )

You have to be joking. The Wii is far more powerful than the Dreamcast. This misconception has to die. Have you even played Metroid Prime 3? :blink:

rmm21 said:
That's like saying you don't believe in the Easter bunny but you think that Santa clause might be real.

whiskthecat said:
rmm21 said:
That's like saying you don't believe in the Easter bunny but you think that Santa clause might be real.

Quite the opposite since it's easier for an old man to give people presents than a chocolate-giving bunny :lol:

TaG said:
So you followed the link? Read the sticky? Where it tells you that no one is working on it?

You saw a thread saying no one is working on it? The thread that got closed?

And needed to ask again to make sure?

How many silly questions can we all ask in one night?

I followed the link, and I didn't see a post that supported your claim that "It has been posted several times already that zod has had to pull out due to workload on other projects."

Chip said:
As I've said quite a few times, playable N64 emulation on the Pandora is iffy at best. It would take a lot of hard work. Maybe somebody will give it a shot, and maybe not.
Come on. The PSP gets near-playable emulation for many N64 games, and the Pandora will fully outclass the PSP in power, and you claim that playable N64 emulation will be iffy at best? I'm sorry, but the only thing that should be iffy at best is Fullspeed emulation, or near-fullspeed Perfect Dark.

-God Ginrai

this is really disappointing. n64 emulation is one of the main reasons i wanted a pandora. all tho it wont keep me from getting one. guess i'll just have to cross my fingers and hope :)

God Ginrai said:
Come on. The PSP gets near-playable emulation for many N64 games, and the Pandora will fully outclass the PSP in power, and you claim that playable N64 emulation will be iffy at best? I'm sorry, but the only thing that should be iffy at best is Fullspeed emulation, or near-fullspeed Perfect Dark.
You have an interesting concept of "near-playable". The few games that Daedalus can play at all, it plays slowly, with the sound disabled. And that program has already been heavily optimized for the the hardware.

Actually playable N64 emulation won't be easy. You won't see any legitimate emu programmer say otherwise.

God Ginrai said:
I followed the link, and I didn't see a post that supported your claim that "It has been posted several times already that zod has had to pull out due to workload on other projects."
Agreed. The original quote from Zod, second hand mind you, was this:
Ubuntu Mobile Edition fan said:
I tracked down ZodTTD about the Nintendo 64 emulator, asked about a rough ETA and he said "sadly I cant give an estimate. If anyone else is up for the challenge, they should go for it".
This doesn't tell me he's cancelled the idea, it tells me he won't be able to do it in a hurry and if anyone else takes it on they won't be stepping on his toes.

Does anyone have anything more concrete than this?

[edit] And let's not forget that Zod has a Pandora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back