N64 ???

vree

Still Fresh
Now what do you guys honestly think?

Wil it run at full speed or not?

Beacause this is the only reason I would get one.

I don't care about Snes, nes, PSX or whatever. <_<

I can run those on my PSP or my old xbox. :p

The only thing I really want is a portable N64 :D

I was about to post the exact same thing!!!

I will be playing loads of C64, SNES and Megadrive games, but would LOVE to know the realistic chances of the N64 being emulated well enough to play games as they should be played.

I'm not holding my breath though, if my P4 3Gig can't run perfect dark accurately, what chance has p&|a got?

The hardware sure is capable, it's the coding part that is going to be more complicated but then again, the Pandora being a community machine, I'd expect emulators to have faster progress then on most handhelds and also there is more power to harness as well so people can rely on that first and expect positive results and then work on optimizations.

So I'd say that yes N64 emulation can be expected, just not yet.

It's possible, but not easy. It will definitely happen, but not straight for launch

I remember playing Mario/Golden Eye back in 1999 with Ultra HLE, it ran extremely well on my 400Mhz Celeron or whatever I had at the time. This doesnt mean the Pandora will be able to cope but we are almost 10 years on. I expect someone will try it and it will be a big selling point if it runs well so I expect Craig will be on the case :)

UDepths said:
Kyosys said:
It's possible, but not easy. It will definitely happen, but not straight for launch

How far along with it are you?
N64 emulation has been done for the gp2x, a platform that is definitely too weak to run it properly, so do you really think we won't get it?

Sure, it might take a while, and it might never be perfect, but it will happen.

Will there ever be an N64 emulator for pandora?

will anybody be creating an N64 emu? as you know, Zodttd has backed out, with his projects and stuff. it would be a real shame to waste pandora's potential if nobody makes one.

just realised, 100th topic. :)

Kyosys said:
UDepths said:
Kyosys said:

How far along with it are you?
N64 emulation has been done for the gp2x, a platform that is definitely too weak to run it properly, so do you really think we won't get it?

Sure, it might take a while, and it might never be perfect, but it will happen.

Eh? :eek: Ive no idea if you will do it - just asking at what stage your at with it.

I suspect it would be very difficult and a crown achievement for a developer to get a playable N64 Emulator going on the Pandora. All they need is incentive.

This is what the "Developer Fund" for $20 on the Pandora ordering page was all about :D .

Mithrildor said:
It will be really cool , to play Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Majora's mask , Super Smash Bros , Mario Kart 64 and some others on the Pandora.

Yup :D

i really want it for MM and OOT

An how about the games that would need the expension pack of the N64?

Like majora's mask :S

vree said:
An how about the games that would need the expension pack of the N64?

Like majora's mask :S

The expansion pack is just a bit of extra RAM. I'd assume that it would be trivial to add support.

Re: Will there ever be an N64 emulator for pandora?

jakshep2 said:
will anybody be creating an N64 emu? as you know, Zodttd has backed out, with his projects and stuff. it would be a real shame to waste pandora's potential if nobody makes one.

just realised, 100th topic. :)

I still have yet to see where Zod said himself that he's backing out. We had this same argument over at GP32X. Zod said that he was busy and that it would be a while before he got to working on the emu, and therefore encouraged anyone else who thought they could do it to go ahead and try, and all of a sudden everyone thinks that he backed out. Unless there is a new post by Zod you can direct me to that says he is backing out, then my answer remains the same: "Zod has not backed out, but don't expect N64 emulation anytime soon."

-God Ginrai

UDepths said:
Eh? :eek: Ive no idea if you will do it - just asking at what stage your at with it.
I'm not making an N64 emulator... I'm just saying that somebody will

What I want to know is, there's a lot of talk about the Pandora being powerful enough to do it, in theory. However, does that mean it's powerful enough to do it at the standard 600mhz it's clocked at, or would you have to overclock it? I understand nobody can give a definitive answer to that, but it's a detail that's escaped me in this discussion.

And if the answer to overclocking is yes then I'd like to know how easy or hard it would be. I assume it won't be as easy as setting a PSP's clockspeed to 333mhz.

I beleive overclocking will be easy, remember were talking about a system which was built by people who want to use it. I did see a post made by Craig backing this i think.. (in gp32x forums)

you can software overclock the pandora. so that's a very easy

From what I've heard, the CPU is actually specced for 950MHz but is underclocked in the Pandora. I could be wrong, but that's my understanding.

Increasing the speed would of course mean less battery life, and maybe too much heat.

Back