Nanostray, Again

Twinbee posted on Aug 3 2005 at 01:24 PM said:
A shoot-em-up is all about the gameplay. I don't play shoot-em-ups for the story, or for the ending. I don't think any hardcore shooter does tbh.

How can you say that the game has good gameplay then basically go on to say it's a crap game? You're not really making any sense. It sounds to me like you've just done adventure mode on normal, and saying 'Yay, that's it, i've finished the game, i'm gonna sell it', in which case you're completely missing the point of the game, and of shoot-em-ups in general.

because i'm not a gamer that is a high score freak. i could care less about the score. The gameplay is great, EXCEPT CHANGING WEAPONS VIA TOUCHSCREEN and the graphics are great. but this was a rush job.

I have played many shooters that had at least somewhat of a story, Silpheed for Sega CD, Iridion II, GunNac, etc. etc. I like endings because it gives a sense of satisfaction saving a fictional universe or rescuing something, but this game you get nothing but your ship flying around and the credits, big fucking deal.

Being a non high scoring freak, why would i want to play the same levels over and over again on arcade mode?? And the challenges are all the same too, get 300k points or survive the level with 1 ship. WOOO BOY

The game can be completed in like 45mins, its too short. I'm sorry but good graphics and gameplay do not absolutely make a good game. The enemies are almost all the same. They may look different but most of them attack the same way. The game plays EXACTLY like Silpheed for the Sega CD, only Silpheed is 10x better. This was just a rush job in my opinion.

If you are a high scoring junkie and care about getting high scores to post on the net, then yes you will enjoy this game immensly, but i think the majority of players will beat it and put it down, because other than the internet ranking, there really isn't much replay value.

Last edited by a moderator:
no and i never will, i don't care about unlocking game art of the spaceship or crap like that. If the unlockables were unlocking new levels, or new ships, then yes i would do it, but it's not, the unlockables are worthless. I don't want to play the same levels over and over again. You can only play the same 8 levels over and over again before it gets very boring and repetitious.

I'm not going to argue anymore over an opinion. I already said that if your a high score freak and internet ranking is your thing then this is a good game. But i would think the majority of gamers would want a little more than internet ranking.

somehow I doubt he actually knows "a lot of people that have the game".

I know like... one person other than myself and my wife who even have a DS? let alone that are old school shooter fans.

and it is getting bad reviews, from Gamespot, IGN, EGM magazine. Angel is hardly the only person giving it a bad review.

Hey I LOVE shooters. In my game collection, the 2d shooter is king, covering about 1/3 of all the games I own (1300 games, 400 of them actual retail games). I'm still pretty eager to try Nanostray for myself, but from everything I've read and heard, realistically I'm not expecting much. It sure LOOKED pretty though.....

bast525 posted on Aug 4 2005 at 11:34 AM said:

I know like... one person other than myself and my wife who even have a DS? let alone that are old school shooter fans.

and it is getting bad reviews, from Gamespot, IGN, EGM magazine. Angel is hardly the only person giving it a bad review.

Hey I LOVE shooters. In my game collection, the 2d shooter is king, covering about 1/3 of all the games I own (1300 games, 400 of them actual retail games). I'm still pretty eager to try Nanostray for myself, but from everything I've read and heard, realistically I'm not expecting much. It sure LOOKED pretty though.....

was thinkng about it myself but ign gave it 8.0 which is hardly a bad score along with a reader average of 8.6

An old school Shootem-up with a story eh.. what ever next tetris the chronicles :p

Like puzzlers theres no need fro a story line, they are straight forward blast frantic fests till you can get no further forward.. period :p

i disagree about the story. Yes, games without stories were good back in the days of NES and other 8 bit systems, and there were many great shooters that didn't really have a story, Gradius, R-type to name two. But in this day and age, i expect games to have a story. Obviously puzzle games don't have to, even some do, and i can't see classing puzzle games with shoot em ups regarding stories.

Yes the shoot em ups that have stories are all generic storys, destroy invading fleet to save the galaxy, but at least it was something and at least these games had some kind of ending, all beit even just some text saying congrats. But NanoStray gives you absolutely nothing. And to me there was no satisfaction in completing the game as like other games. And after you finally get past the frustration of constantly dieing, and get past the first 3 levels, you quickly start whizzing through the other levels only to end and you'll say to yourself, is that it??

If i was to base my opinion strictly on graphics and gameplay, then for a DS game this would be an 8 out of 10 easy. But as it has been said many times, great graphics do not make great games. And this game coming from the same people that made Iridion II, which is fantastic, it was a real disappointment. I urge anyone with a GBA or DS to try Iridion II, and anybody with a Sega CD or CDX, to try Silpheed, both of these games are incredible shoot em ups, and both are relatively pretty cheap to buy.

bast525 posted on Aug 4 2005 at 12:34 PM said:

NTSC-UK, mate. Sorry.

http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?t=44444&page=1

Read up.

----

This has all escalated beyond the point I was trying to make though, and i'm sorry about that.

Angel has essentially only gone through adventure mode, on the easiest difficulty setting, then is saying that there's fuck all to it. In which you responded with 'yeah Nanostray getting some pretty bad reviews so far... kinda sucks yet ANOTHER game I was looking forward to sucking, like Coded Arms for PSP.'

Check out the reader reviews on GameFAQs, they're sure as hell enjoying it. I'm sure as hell enjoying it. Pretty much everyone who's played it on NTSC-UK is enjoying it. I just think it's a shame that you're dismissing a fantastic shoot-em-up as a crap game, just because one person on here hasn't even played through half the game.

That's all i'm trying to say, sorry for arguing. :)

Well, that and Angel's essentially said 'Good graphics, good gameplay, but the game's shit.' which, to be honest, doesn't really make any sense.

There are as many good reviews as there are bad reviews. Trust me on that. ^_^ Plus... Sounds like you're pretty good at the whole genre. I could do with some challenge on the scoreboards. I'm currently locked at 21st in the championship out of a good 580 odd, after playing for 24 hours, and nobody's shifted me yet. :)

Check out the reader reviews on GameFAQs, they're sure as hell enjoying it. I'm sure as hell enjoying it. Pretty much everyone who's played it on NTSC-UK is enjoying it. I just think it's a shame that you're dismissing a fantastic shoot-em-up as a crap game, just because one person on here hasn't even played through half the game.

You think i haven't played challenges or arcade mode? But you say, i haven't played through half the game. I've beaten the game. And since the challenges and the arcade mode are just the same 8 levels over, and over, and over, and over, and over, again, then how can you say i've only played through half the game. There's nothing different about aracade/adventure/challenge mode, same levels, same enemies, same everything, only difference is challenge unlocks art and music and stuff, big f'ing deal, and arcade gives you a nanocode to go online.

If the levels for arcade and challenges were different then you could honestly say i have only played half the game.

And if you would fucking read my post Twin, you would see that if all i cared about was playing the same levels over and over again to get high scores, then this would be an 8 out of 10, and a very good game and i've stated this more than once. But I like a little more to my games than just high scores. Thats why i don't like it as much.

Angel posted on Aug 3 2005 at 04:26 PM said:
Twinbee posted on Aug 3 2005 at 01:24 PM said:

If you are a high scoring junkie and care about getting high scores to post on the net, then yes you will enjoy this game immensly, but i think the majority of players will beat it and put it down, because other than the internet ranking, there really isn't much replay value.

Angel posted on Aug 3 2005 at 06:53 PM said:
I already said that if your a high score freak and internet ranking is your thing then this is a good game.

Angel posted on Aug 4 2005 at 01:20 PM said:
If i was to base my opinion strictly on graphics and gameplay, then for a DS game this would be an 8 out of 10 easy.

in case you missed them Twin

Back