Needs better touchscreen

I pretty much never use the touchscreen, I find the stylus a bit clumsy. It is precise though compared to fingers.

But I think I agree with Jobs. Nature gave us ten styluses, we should use those.

But I think I agree with Jobs. Nature gave us ten styluses, we should use those.

No it gave us fingers and unfortunately they're too fat to do anything productive on a touchscreen..

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to differentiate between contact pressure and responsiveness. Resistive screens need more force to get a response (although newer ones have lowered this). But once the electrode registers the input an ADC only has to convert a voltage with a few simple calculations and some fast digital filters to get the result. With capacitive screens, much more work is necessary to process the touch layer and identify results. The latency is really very bad, the best phones are around 70ms while most are 100ms or higher.

I think resistive vs capacitive can be poorly represented because a lot of cheap Chinese devices used cheap resistive panels for Android and they sucked (but were used because they were cheaper). But a lot of cheap Chinese devices now use cheap capacitive panels and they still suck. For example, JXD 7300B has both an awful pressure threshold (have to use a rubber stylus to even get touches to register sort of reliably) and a ton of lag. Devices like Nintendo DS, on the other hand, have no problem handling rhythm games that need quick response times, while using a resistive screen. Resistive also allows much more precise input, which is important if you're using a more desktop-like GUI, and yes, a lot of people prefer these vs stuff like Unity.

As for scratching, I don't see why resistive panels would be more prone to this than capacitive. I've dragged my stylus like crazy on Pandora and there aren't visible scratches.

I used to think that capacitive was preferable because we need reliable multitouch to be useful for Android apps. But honestly, I say pass on this - instead of prioritizing Android compatibility it should make sure it can offer a good gaming experience and IMO, this is best done with physical controls + a resistive screen like DS, 3DS, and Wii U. If anything, I'm concerned about this special touch controller interfering with latency.

I used to think that capacitive was preferable because we need reliable multitouch to be useful for Android apps. But honestly, I say pass on this - instead of prioritizing Android compatibility it should make sure it can offer a good gaming experience and IMO, this is best done with physical controls + a resistive screen like DS, 3DS, and Wii U. If anything, I'm concerned about this special touch controller interfering with latency.
+1

And as someone - I think Wizardstan - pointed out, a pinch zoom emulation will make quite a lot of apps usable already (if there is any Android support at all, because the advocates don't look like they are going to do the work).

ED, if you're reading this, would it be possible to learn more about the touch controller? Or even see a datasheet?

A caanoo has a resistive screen, I think similar to pandora in tech?

It is great to draw with it and quite possible to pixel art on the likes of grafx2. Really fast an accurate.

On my note II, on the other hand, lag and lack of precision makes it impossible to do any precise gfx work.

It does help if the software is good, like swankypaint from kriss.

I don´t know how it goes on current pandora, I´d expect the hinge to be quite strong and still to hold the pressure of a stylus?

I think pyra should be fine with what its current planned tech. Precision and response time comes at very first for me.

All of the logos I've been drawing recently were drawn on the Pandora, with its resistive 4.3" screen. I don't think I could have done that on my iPad with its capacitive 10" screen. And not just because it does not run dia and gimp.

Well you can do it on the iPad, but with the 11th finger Steve Jobs said  :lol:

ED, if you're reading this, would it be possible to learn more about the touch controller? Or even see a datasheet?
Yes, I can ask Nikolaus about the datasheet.

The fake multitouch is optional, it can also work like a normal controller, so no delay or any inaccuracy added.

How did you even find this screen? I was looking for 5.5in screen then try to persuade you ( :p ), but can't even find one.

Like the one from the Galaxy Note 2 or LG Optimus G Pro.

Quick question. I think the community almost unanimously wants a resistive screen. ED said that the Pyra screen will most probably be the same as that in the Google Nexus 5. But isn't that a capacitive screen? Would it need to be converted, or something, to resistive?

Also, on the official site, rather than say "Unlike most smartphones, the Pyra has a resistive touch screen", which serves to differentiate it from what most people are familiar with, maybe it would be more effective to say "Like the Nintendo DS and 3DS, the Pyra has a resistive touch screen". That way, through association, you'd be giving them an example of how resistive screens have already worked very successfully. Some people may not know about the whole capacitive/resistive thing, so when they read that it's not like their phones, they may search it up and find some misleading online content/horror stories about resistive screens. But if they see that it is like the screens on their DS/3DS, it may reassure them. Of course, these are lay people about whom I'm speaking. They may not be the primary demographic of the device, but in order to ensure continued sales, after those to the enthusiasts, it would probably be better to do as much as we can to appeal to them too, with the wording of our marketing efforts.

^Well there is the LCD screen and the touchscreen layer applied to it.. they are separate entities.

I agree with you Rivaan , that line needs to be changed. I would have a brief line explaining the benefits of why it was chosen. Ie higher accuracy for menu selections, low latency etc.

Back