Pyra screen options

Fake-multitouch, using a four-wire touch with a special controller
This also implies that pressure sensitivity will at least be accessible to the driver. How much pressure sensitivity, how accurate, and whether it can be used in any way in userland is a completely different set of questions.

Are you saying you can do better? I can't even find hd screens near that size with a direct price.
Certainly not and I am gladly paying for a good screen - but it seems pretty expensive considering it is only a screen and the BOM consists of a lot more...

Not sure what price ED is aiming for, but I think he doesn’t want Pyra to become more expensive than P1. So compared to P1 he starts with -34 

Pixels number isn't a problem to me, all I want is low power comsuption, It would be good if battery life is as long as Pandora or more.

Question: When the Pyra will be sold.?

Don't get carried away. "Two Months" is a running gag around here, I'm sorry to say. It stems from way back in 2008 with the original Pandora where Craig first said it would only take "two months". And then everything since then has only been "two months" away.

Resistive with basic multitouch: I like it! This is the best of both worlds: accuracy and support for Android gestures. No need to use a sausage stylus or greasy fingers with a diameter of 150 pixels.

Resistive with basic multitouch: I like it! This is the best of both worlds: accuracy and support for Android gestures. No need to use a sausage stylus or greasy fingers with a diameter of 150 pixels.
Sausage Stylus? o_O

-God Ginrai

wirelessground-ipad-stylus-4.jpg

For me the biggest drawback is the resistive screen. IMO the OMAP SoC will do the job fine but that screen...

Seriously WTF!

Having a non Wacom stylus is just pointless. Can we just use our fingers on a capacitive true multi touch display?

Second, I cannot believe that there will be other devises with FHD resistive screens in 2014/15 which makes this screen already an exotic component. What happened with the future proof - parts supply idea ?

Also I cannot believe that the price difference between capacitive and resistive screen is that big to make you chose resistive over capacitive screen.

:(

Also I cannot believe that the price difference between capacitive and resistive screen is that big to make you chose resistive over capacitive screen.
I bet capacitive screen layer are now cheaper than resistive. The problem with capacitive screen is the complete lack of precision. You can use a wacom pointer+layer, but that come with a large bump in price (over 100$, that would make the pyra cross the 700$ mark which is insane).In the end, compromise...

^^^ I don't think ED ever said anything in regards to either screen being more pricey, could be wrong.

I think it was his desire to go resistive for particular reasons.

Personally I would have liked an IGZO screen, but they may still be pricey at this point. Would have been good to get maybe 30 percent more battery life. Something for the P3 :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinkpad: Resistive is just that much more accurate, plain and simple. Capacitive is good for stuff where you have thumb-sized UI elements. Resistive is great when you need accurate positioning. Digitizers like wacom's are great when you need accurate pressure detection and positioning (but requires a special pen). Which would you say is our use case?

Shenmue: A capacitive stylus with a tip that actually somewhat represents the accuracy of the capacitive display.

Back