Pyra screen options

Apparently the iPad Air is using the new IGZO displays from sharp.   Even though the iPad Air has a faster SOC and the same or better battery life than the iPad 4 - it now has a 31% smaller battery which is being mostly attributed to the IGZO display .  

Perhaps we need to look at IGZO options for the Pyra's display, although , I'm sure cost might be an issue, worth looking into though, if it means that much better battery life.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/05/apples-ipad-air-adopts-igzo-technology-for-thinner-lower-power-displays/

http://www.phonearena.com/news/iPad-Air-has-31-smaller-battery-yet-same-great-battery-life_id48614

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to clarify, IGZO will or does come in OLED. ie They are not mutually exclusive things.

I would love to have a low-power display like OLED and/or IGZO, but I think it's unlikely to happen. It's difficult enough to find a good "normal" screen that 1) you can buy in low quantities and 2) will remain available for a few years. ED is not Samsung or Apple. The Pyra will not be something that will sell millions of units, and then be made obsolete after 8 months. ED does not have any leverage over display manufacturers.

^ That's a difficult one to say, you could have said the same for 1080p screens being hard to source using the same logic (and some people did say that), but that's where everyone has moved to - thus the easiest to source according to ED.  If everyone starts moving to low power IGZO screens (and there's a good reason they would) , then they might become the easiest to source.  It's a tough one to judge.

Yes but ED is looking for parts suppliers now, not in one or two years when IGZO or OLED may or may not have become the standard. As it is today, those technologies are still limited to the giants.

It was like less than 10 months from first 1080p phone to now . Things move like lightning in the mobile industry..

I actually can get the 1280x720 OLED which is in the new Blackberry.... but price would be 150 EUR, even buying thousands of them, so it's just not feasible (it would mean the sales price of the full unit might go up to 600 - 700 EUR, and that's what I don't want).

I actually can get the 1280x720 OLED which is in the new Blackberry.... but price would be 150 EUR, even buying thousands of them, so it's just not feasible (it would mean the sales price of the full unit might go up to 600 - 700 EUR, and that's what I don't want).
I would love that screen but at that price, just "no thanks". ;)

Any other 720p options ?

I would love that screen but at that price, just "no thanks". ;)

Same here :(

Our current screen is 36 EUR, the FullHD one I'm testing (with 20ms refresh rate, yay!) is about 70 EUR... but 150 EUR is just overkill.

Any other 720p options ?
Sadly not.

If you don't mind answering, what screen size are you looking at/for?

Any other 720p options ?
Sadly not.
Then please, please make sure hardware scalling is realy easy to use as refreshing a real 1080p at 60fps will be hard otherwise... (I for one dont expect a scale2x shader on the rumored soc to reach over 20fps on a 1080p screen, I for one plan on using a 540p resolution and upscale everything using the hardware scaller)

If you don't mind answering, what screen size are you looking at/for?
5"

Then please, please make sure hardware scalling is realy easy to use as refreshing a real 1080p at 60fps will be hard otherwise... (I for one dont expect a scale2x shader on the rumored soc to reach over 20fps on a 1080p screen, I for one plan on using a 540p resolution and upscale everything using the hardware scaller)
Well, EVERY SoC these days should have a good hardware scaler I guess,

Back