Pyra screen options

I actually can get the 1280x720 OLED which is in the new Blackberry.... but price would be 150 EUR, even buying thousands of them, so it's just not feasible (it would mean the sales price of the full unit might go up to 600 - 700 EUR, and that's what I don't want).
I would love that screen but at that price, just "no thanks". ;)

Same here :(

Our current screen is 36 EUR, the FullHD one I'm testing (with 20ms refresh rate, yay!) is about 70 EUR... but 150 EUR is just overkill.
Can you make a special version for me with the new Blackberry screen? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually can get the 1280x720 OLED which is in the new Blackberry.... but price would be 150 EUR, even buying thousands of them, so it's just not feasible (it would mean the sales price of the full unit might go up to 600 - 700 EUR, and that's what I don't want).

Our current screen is 36 EUR, the FullHD one I'm testing (with 20ms refresh rate, yay!) is about 70 EUR... but 150 EUR is just overkill.

Any other 720p options ?
Sadly not.
150 EUR is expensive indeed. Is there no way to bring it down? Below 120 EUR I would start making the argument that the extra cost (compared to the 70 EUR LCD screen) are worth it, since OLED has no ghosting at all (sub-millisecond response time) and is very low power if you're happy with light text on a dark background. But at 150 EUR it's just too expensive.

Can you make a special version for me with the new Blackberry screen? :D
That depends, are you Scrooge McDuck?

How about making the connections compatible with the both whatever $70-buck screen and the $120-buck blackberry screen?  That way the peasants can buy the cheaper PYRA with the $70-buck screen, and Scrooge McDuck can buy the the PYRA with the $120-buck screen :D

Both are MIPI, so if someone codes a driver, it would work.

However, the LCDs have different connectors, so you'd need to create a small adaptor.

Ghosting shouldn't be that high issue, the FullHD display has 20ms refresh time, that should be mostly ghost-free.

Any other 720p options ?
Sadly not.
Then please, please make sure hardware scalling is realy easy to use as refreshing a real 1080p at 60fps will be hard otherwise... (I for one dont expect a scale2x shader on the rumored soc to reach over 20fps on a 1080p screen, I for one plan on using a 540p resolution and upscale everything using the hardware scaller)
But aren't we below 600 pixels height then and have the same problem as we do with Pandora screen (standard 600x800 windows don't fit).

Wouldn't it be better to try to use 720x1280 and scale it with the factor 1.5.

Last edited by a moderator:
the FullHD one I'm testing (with 20ms refresh rate, yay!) is about 70 EUR... but 150 EUR is just overkill.
70 Euro is already pretty expensive IMO. You can buy two Chinese Android tablets for that price ;)

What about power consumption? How does it compare to the Pandora screen?
According to spec sheets, a bit less, but not really noticeable.
More or less the same power consumption, even though it has 5 times as many pixels (1920x1080 instead of 800x480) and a 30% bigger area (10.7 square inches instead of 8.2)? That would be very good!

What type of touch?
We're getting a resistive made and will use a driver chip that also supports basic multitouch with resistive ones.

What about power consumption? How does it compare to the Pandora screen?
According to spec sheets, a bit less, but not really noticeable.
More or less the same power consumption, even though it has 5 times as many pixels (1920x1080 instead of 800x480) and a 30% bigger area (10.7 square inches instead of 8.2)? That would be very good!
Well, the Pandora displays technology is 5 years older. Backlighting is what needs most of the power, and LEDs have become more efficient.

Sent from my Xperia Pro using Tapatalk

basic multitouch with resistive ones
True multitouch, even just dual touch, from multiple layers? Or fake multi-touch where it technically only tracks one "point" as a large area and can math out the edges of that area to approximate multi-touch?Ultimately it shouldn't make a difference, the fake multi-touch is usually good enough for the pinch/zoom and rotate stuff people like it for, but I'm curious.

Fake-multitouch, using a four-wire touch with a special controller. Pinch and zoom should be enough for Android, as you probably want to play games using the DPad and nubs ;)

I've ordered the touch to be as accurate and responsive as can be.

How about screw inwards to zoom and screw outwards to pan out? If thats not patented it could work for the intended usergroup that we consist of.
Don't know if it's patented or not but this is what the Nokia N900 used on its resistive display.  I loved it!  Easier than pinching etc. (for me).

Well, that fake multitouch basically only is for Android...

Back