Pyra screen options

Why? The Stylus of my Galaxy Note 2 isnt much bigger than the Plastik Pen which came whit the Pandora

So such a Pen would fit easely in the Pen Slot of Pyra and as the Case have to be redesign because the bigger screen, the Pen Slot have also to redesign but this should not be a Problem as there is enought Space near the Batterie

I think a capacitive LCD or OLED Display with an active Pen/Stylus like Wacom ones in the Samsung Note Series would be the Best of both Worlds.
It has all the features of the capacitive Display combined with an Pixel accurate pressure sensitive Pen.

But i highly doubt that this technology will be available to the Project. Even then it will probably be to expensive.

I scarcely ever use the Stylus of my GHz Unit. The needed pressure on the Screen is to high for me. It's OK to select something on the Screen.
But it doesn't work for me on a continouos motion like on the Scrollbar in a Browser.

The only Pro for a resistive Screen is that it's cheap and Pixel accurate.

Also with a capacitive screen for Android compatibility you would need to design the case that the bezel is flat with the touchscreen surface to allow dragging from the sides.

Abdroid compatibility cannot be underestimated in my opinion. The thinkpad convertibles have also a capacitive screen with a passive precision pen. I guess they have two layers but I am not sure.

This would be a good compromise but maybe too expensive and not easily sourceable.

Who knows... maybe ED can get a good deal.

The only Pro for a resistive Screen is that it's cheap and Pixel accurate.
Sub pixel accurate, some with resolutions up to 1000 times greater than the screen resolution.These would be features enough for me (cheap and accurate), but resistive also supports simple pressure sensitivity without sacrificing accuracy, very useful for quick doodles. Capacitive's "pressure sensitivity" is just a measure of how much surface area is covered, which incidentally is why fine point capacitive styluses aren't mainstream: most software requires a certain amount of surface area to be covered before it triggers a "touch".

I don't believe that passive Pens are precise enough to use it wit tiny Buttons or Menu structures.

But i don't know it for sure, it's just a presumption.

^ I agree, this is why a capacitive screen on a regular Linux desktop won't work well at all.

The active pen on my Galaxy Note has a pressure sensitive tip wich measures the applied force. Afaik the digitizer communicates with the Pen wirelessly to get the coordinates and the pressure value.

The display can even recognize the pen without touching the surface. This allows a mouseover or hover funtion.Additionaly the pen has Button on it wich can be used as a second Mouse Button. 

^ But that is technology Samsung isn't letting others play with.

Afaik the technology in the Note Series isn't from Samsung.

It's licensed from Wacom the manufacturer of graphic Tablets for PC.

I have heard that you can use most of the Wacom Pens on Note products an vive versa.

Afaik the technology in the Note Series isn't from Samsung.

It's licensed from Wacom the manufacturer of graphic Tablets for PC.

I have heard that you can use most of the Wacom Pens on Note products an vive versa.
It is Wacom, but none of the pens for my Cintiq 12wx work on my Note 8.0

And yes, there are various other pens that will work on the Note 8.0 but almost all of them have an annoying offset.

Wacom make a version of the Bamboo Feel pen specifically for the Note 8.0 that is accurate.

Bottom line, you have to be carefull about the screen you choose, not any pen will work.

None of us want to be restricted to only using the touch screen with a special stylus though, right?  I'm assuming that those who want capacitive screens just think of that as a smaller trade off than those who do not.  I'm ignorant of what they're trading for though.  It sounds like resistive has "you can use whatever you want" and "allows higher specific accuracy" going for it at the same time.

My used 3DS wasn't sold to me with a stylus, so I've only ever used my thumbnail with it, I'm very comfortable playing it that way.

I understand the active 3D glasses vs passive 3D glasses argument; although you have to buy expensive specialized battery powered glasses, images are typically a bit prettier.  Does capacitive have better onscreen keyboard touch typing going for it?  That's something, but that won't apply here.

None of us want to be restricted to only using the touch screen with a special stylus though, right?  I'm assuming that those who want capacitive screens just think of that as a smaller trade off than those who do not.  I'm ignorant of what they're trading for though.  It sounds like resistive has "you can use whatever you want" and "allows higher specific accuracy" going for it at the same time.

My used 3DS wasn't sold to me with a stylus, so I've only ever used my thumbnail with it, I'm very comfortable playing it that way.

I understand the active 3D glasses vs passive 3D glasses argument; although you have to buy expensive specialized battery powered glasses, images are typically a bit prettier.  Does capacitive have better onscreen keyboard touch typing going for it?  That's something, but that won't apply here.
Considering the 3ds, why would we need glasses at all?

Multi-touch is something you don't get in (obtainable) resistive. But other than that, I don't think there's any advantage to capacitive, except maybe that it is probably more easily available in high-end screens.

Multi-touch is useful if you need to compensate for a lack of physical buttons: simulated on-screen game buttons, pinch-to-zoom and other gestures, on-screen keyboards, etc. There are very few situations where it is actually used as a feature in itself, not as an ersatz. Games like Cut the rope and things like piano apps come to mind.

If you already have a real keyboard and real controls, multi-touch is mostly just a gimmick. If all you have is one button and one screen, then multi-touch is pretty much a necessity.

Well, there is not having the marginally detectable resistive layer between the screen and viewer. Not that I find it distracting enough to care about, but someone might. I'm all for a resistive touch screen. Capacitive is fine for phones or tablets, but simply won't do for a general purpose platform.

I don't think there's any advantage to capacitive
Capacitive tends to be more sensitive than resistive: a capacitive screen can be triggered with just a feather light brush of the finger while resistive requires a little bit more force. This is a negative in my opinion, but others have claimed it's a benefit. I can see arguments either way.

I don't think there's any advantage to capacitive
Capacitive tends to be more sensitive than resistive: a capacitive screen can be triggered with just a feather light brush of the finger while resistive requires a little bit more force. This is a negative in my opinion, but others have claimed it's a benefit. I can see arguments either way.
You can easily trigger a resistive touchscreen with gloves. But I always have lots of trouble when trying to use my Nexus 4 with gloves. It's really next to impossible (a lot of force seems to help, though :) ).

I would prefer a Multitouch resistive touch screen as the best case scenario. However, I would not mind a capacitive touchscreen if it came with a Wacom digitizer pen as is the case in the Galaxy Note series.

In the more likely case that we can get neither of the 2 above solutions, I would always pick the resistive touchscreen over the capacitive touchscreen for a device like the Pyra.

-God Ginrai

Back